Subject: Rights of the Artist vs Heirloom Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I hear a lot about IP laws in terms of copyright, trademarks and patents however this game makes it obvious that a game can be, not a product but instead, a work of art.

That being the case then I see a need to consider the "Rights of the Artist" as well as my desire to produce a DIY heirloom quality version of the "Admiral Ackbar "It's a TRAP!" GAME".

Robert Wesley has clearly stated "This uses Scrabble tiles, with yet others (referring to modified Scrabble tiles) added..."
There appears little scope for using any other tiles while respecting the artist. I suppose I could approach Robert and ask if hand-made non-Scrabble tiles would be acceptable.

What do others think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrabble(R) itself is a brand name, being a registered trademark of Hasbro(R). I suspect that in this case the game designer's intent was to provide for the usage of Scrabble(R)-like tiles. After all, the description of the game, as per the designer, is clearly phrased in simple, understandable terms, leading me to believe that the reference to Scrabble(R) was more so for familiarity and recognition than dictate and edict.

It is my supposition that using Scrabble(R)-like tiles would still be in keeping with the game designer's intent and would be more than permissible for this game. Unfortunately, without clarification from the designer himself this is simply an assumption.

I was considering making an heirloom version for myself, possibly using ebony, mahogany or Tasmanian myrtle. For a change of pace, I'm considering using a serif typeface. I know sans-serif is the traditional word game typeface of choice, but I think a serif would work rather nicely -- maybe light or white letters against a dark material, like the ebony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I apologize on the 'belatedness' of this reply - "sorry, sorry, sorry"! Now, you'd want these to MATCH UP completely from their BACKS, so's they can't then be easily discerned from the remainder. In summation, whatever will 'work out' BEST is preferable, no matter what their origination, K? thx!
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.