Chester
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
The heroes we deserve!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't seem to find an answer to this question on the geek, so here goes:

Say there's a mythos card that adjusts your Will or Fight check (example: An Evil Fog, Will checks -1). Does this card affect Horror checks? Or would the Fight modifier affect Combat checks?

My contention is that Combat and Horror checks are specific skill checks and would not be affected by such Mythos cards. What say you, oh wise BGG users?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cvdellen wrote:
I can't seem to find an answer to this question on the geek, so here goes:

Say there's a mythos card that adjusts your Will or Fight check (example: An Evil Fog, Will checks -1). Does this card affect Horror checks? Or would the Fight modifier affect Combat checks?

My contention is that Combat and Horror checks are specific skill checks and would not be affected by such Mythos cards. What say you, oh wise BGG users?

You're wrong.

All Combat Checks are Fight Checks (unless a card or other in game effect changes this, usually to Lore Checks), and anything that modifies Fight Checks thus modifies Combat Checks.
All Horror Checks are Will checks (unless a card or other in game effect changes this), and anything that modifies Will Checks thus modifies Horror Checks.
All Spell Checks are Lore checks (unless a card or other in game effect changes this), and anything that modifies Lore Checks thus modifies Spell Checks.
All Evade Checks are Sneak checks (unless a card or other in game effect changes this), and anything that modifies Sneak Checks thus modifies Evade Checks.

Arkham Horror Base Game Rules p.13 wrote:
There are four types of special skill checks that players
should be aware of: Evade checks, Horror checks,
Combat checks, and Spell checks. Each of these spe-
cial skill checks are based on one of the six skills listed
above and are described later in this rulebook. If an
investigator receives a bonus to a skill, any special
checks based on that skill also receive this bonus.
However, if an investigator receives a bonus only to a
special check, that bonus does not apply to any other
checks based on the same skill.
For example, Evade checks are a special type of Sneak
check. A Skill card that gives +1 Sneak is useful both
for Sneak and Evade checks. However, an item that
gives +2 to Evade checks is only useful when making
Evade checks. That bonus cannot be used on a normal
Sneak check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.