Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Drabek
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A user named budsbalkan posted this in June of 2007.

Hmm then i think we played it wrong.
I did understand the rules, that the red VP on the tile will be scored at the end of the game. But the bonus points based on a condition (e.g. Navy for every Merchant ship 4 VP) we scored in phase D Capital Building Benefits in that round it was picked up (e.g round 7)

But if i understand it right all VP Bonuses will be scored at the end of the game!

-------

He recieved no answer or response to his post. Can someone please clarify for me:

A.) Do you score bonus points based on a condition every turn and only score the red vp on the tile at the end of the game? or

B.) Do you score all building vp's red and otherwise ONLY at the end of the game?

I've read the FAQ and a lot of the posts on this game and still never found a clear and definitive answer to this question.

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We score all the building bonuses at the end of the game, not the turn they were purchased. You certainly don't score them every turn. Sorry I can't quote you a rule book or anything, but I am almost positive that is how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lukas is right, they're only scored once, at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
briand72us wrote:
I've read the FAQ and a lot of the posts on this game and still never found a clear and definitive answer to this question.

Did you try reading the rules?

Quote:
He recieved no answer or response to his post. Can someone please clarify for me:

A.) Do you score bonus points based on a condition every turn and only score the red vp on the tile at the end of the game? or

B.) Do you score all building vp's red and otherwise ONLY at the end of the game?

The answer is B as stated on page 9 of the rules.

Quote:
Victory points are earned three times during the game. New
World colonies score victory points at the end of Age I (end of
turn 3), Age II (end of turn 6) and Age III (end of turn 8, the
end of the game
.).

Quote:
End-game scoring:
The game ends at the end of Turn 8. When the game ends, each
player tallies his or her victory points (see below) and the player
with the most accumulated victory points wins. Victory Points
are awarded for:

Capital Buildings: Some Capital Buildings are worth Victory
Points for their owner. These are either a number in red or points
for an accomplishment
. (For example the capital building “Navy”
grants 3 VPs per Merchant Ship owned by the player with the
“Navy” capital building.).

(emphasis added)

Scoring happens 3 times. During the game, you only score the New World Colonies. At the end of the game you do your final scoring. Capital Buildings are scored once at the end of the game. The example in the rulebook even uses the example you asked about.

So it never appeared in the FAQ because it is clearly stated in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Drabek
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brian, I just read this posting after months of writing it and didn't see your reply before. Your sarcasm is not appreciated and I think you're very rude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
briand72us wrote:

Did you try reading the rules?

Ok, you see sarcasm. I see someone trying to point you in the right direction. I am not sure why you would scour the forums, look at the FAQ, and never bother to look it up in the rules. And it isn't something obscure and buried in the fine print that was easily overlooked. It is repeated and in pretty clear sections of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Drabek
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, I read the rules several times and no, it is pretty vague. I found at least two or three other threads in this rules forum where other people had a version of the same question.

"Did you try reading the rules?" is pretty sarcastic. I pride myself on having the rules down cold before I teach any game and I read the rules several times, played solo multiplayer games to understand the rules and read LOTS of forum threads and FAQs. Even after all of this this pretty vague rule was nagging at me to make sure that I tought it correctly that first time a few months ago.

As much as you must love games and the Geek, so do I. Please don't stain my perspective of this excellent site (that I've been a part of for years now) with your sarcastic remarks.

A proud and thorough gamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
briand72us wrote:
Brian, I read the rules several times and no, it is pretty vague. I found at least two or three other threads in this rules forum where other people had a version of the same question.

"Did you try reading the rules?" is pretty sarcastic. I pride myself on having the rules down cold before I teach any game and I read the rules several times, played solo multiplayer games to understand the rules and read LOTS of forum threads and FAQs. Even after all of this this pretty vague rule was nagging at me to make sure that I tought it correctly that first time a few months ago.

As much as you must love games and the Geek, so do I. Please don't stain my perspective of this excellent site (that I've been a part of for years now) with your sarcastic remarks.

Wow, really? Perhaps you should learn how to take a polite joke. Instead, you insult the man for answering your question. This is a community site, in fact, you might even look at this site like going to your standing game night with friends. Friends joke and laugh with each other. Friends answer questions, even if the answer comes with a hint of sarcasm. That's life. If you want to take the moral high ground, that's your prerogative, but don't insult someone from your high ground, it's really the height of hypocrisy.

Besides, perhaps a thorough reading of the rules would have prevented all this?

.....Too soon? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
briand72us wrote:

Proud: you have proven. Thorough: I think you are just insulting yourself.

Quote:

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. I quoted the exact wording in the rule book for you where it appears not once but twice. The exact example you quote is an example in the rules. I don't know how much more UNvague it can all be.

Quote:
"Did you try reading the rules?" is pretty sarcastic.

Pretty sarcastic? No. Maybe slightly sarcastic. I threw a little smiley in there to remove the sting (which is the online way to say - I am just joking with you). Had I wanted to be sarcastic, I would have stopped my answer with just that: "Did you try reading the rules? Go do that before wasting our time!" That would have been sarcasm.

But instead, I went to the trouble of pulling up the rulebook, finding the exact answer to your question, and quoting it for you. It's what I have done a hundred, if not a thousand, times before. Most every time, people say "Thanks a lot, I must have overlooked that!"

Quote:
I pride myself on having the rules down cold before I teach any game and I read the rules several times, played solo multiplayer games to understand the rules and read LOTS of forum threads and FAQs. Even after all of this this pretty vague rule was nagging at me to make sure that I tought it correctly that first time a few months ago.

AOE3 is a really simple game to understand. People have lots of questions but most of them are right there in the rulebook. So I won't insult your intelligence on what should have been an easy pick up for someone who thoroughly read the rules so many times. (OK, that was sarcasm.)

Quote:

And don't hide your embarrasment of overlooking a rule by attacking me. I do love games and the Geek. And I put a lot of time in answering questions to help other people. In fact, if you had done so much research on this game, you'd find I have commented on most of the rules threads for this game. Just about everyone appreciates that. If a couple people get uptight because they misread rules and misread into responses, I really can't help that and don't lose sleep over it.

So you can continue hating me if you want and defending your alleged wounded pride. Or you can see the answer for what it is: an ANSWER to your question backed up by references that eluded you. Go reread the rules, see how clear it is, play a game, and relax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.