Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the official thread for the BGG Smashmouth Summer '09 league currently running in the Blood Bowl PC game.

Rules: Turn based, 4 minute turns. The season will run 10 weeks, followed by the playoffs.

Coaches will have a week to play each matchup. In severe circumstances, I may be able to extend this deadline, but keep me in the loop. If I don't hear from you and a game is not played, it will be awarded to your opponent.

This league is a mix of coaches from BGG and some from GamersWithJobs.com. I will be crossposting a link to this thread over at the GWJ forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved for standings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Current week matchups:

Division 1:

Lil'O dis & Lil'0 dat (Gob, brizahd) vs The Eschatologists (Liz, Squid Fishious)
Vermin of the South (Ska, Anacron) vs Da 'Ard Itters (Orc, LordUnborn)
Monkey Geese (Ska, Goose) vs Razor Haters (Dwa, Raged)

Division 2:

Cursed to Crawl (Cha, Zopper) vs Alpharetta Avengers (Hum, TKRKS)
Ironcrag Skullsmasherz (Orc, Torq) vs Middenheim Misfits (Hum, Mysteri0)
Dreadwood Dreamscape (Woo, Apparatus) vs D'town Drunkards (Dwa, Isoalpha)

Week runs July 6-12. Please let me know if you have issues contacting your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished our game today but we got a "connection to the server is lost" message during the game... Guess what: no game recorded.

Well we're going to do a rematch tomorrow. Let me just say that I hope we get the same result tomorrow again devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zopper-Alf wrote:
Finished our game today but we got a "connection to the server is lost" message during the game... Guess what: no game recorded.

Well we're going to do a rematch tomorrow. Let me just say that I hope we get the same result tomorrow again devil

I can input game scores manually, but I'm not sure how it will handle your SPPs. If you guys want to try that, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eschatologists were victorious 2-0 over Lil'O dis & Lil'0 dat in the League opener yesterday.

It was a truly classic match featuring barely competent performance from both rookie teams, with loads of stunty action, constant fumbles, missed throws, and Trolls chucking goblins all over the place.

Though the match officials gave the MVP for the 'Schats to Saurus Captain Awesome, the true MVP of the match was the little skink, Tony the Trembler, who scored both touchdowns, the game's only awarded casualty, and at the very last minute, a dazzling interception.

As a side note, I was looking over the other team rosters and was a little surprised and dismayed to see that I was the only one who gave my players original names. I believe it's not too late to rectify this situation though, as I think you can rename your players up until they play their first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll try to arrange another game tomorrow - let's keep this option as a last resort.

I really hope for no injuries and a good score ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cursed to Crawl - one of the least famous chaos teams - scored a win today. It was a crueling match: 5 touchdowns and even one player dead.

All that because the gods of chaos didn't like the result of the first game (a 2-0 win if I may add). "We demand more blood" screamed the gods of chaos and so we had to crawl onto the playing field again.

The Alpharetta Avengers learned from their first loss and came back stronger. In the first few turns they had already beaten some chaos players to a bloody pulp. Cursed to Crawl was down to 9 players early on.

The first half had it even with one touchdown each - but Alpharetta Avengers were saved by the bell

In the second half the Alpharetta Avengers got the lead with a nice passing combo that left the chaos team gasping for air.

The only chance was a very risky move now. While receiving the ball the chaos team left one side completely open. Luckily it worked out and Cursed to Crawl was able to score a blitz.

As the heavy rain set in the ball got more and more slippery. The last turns showed several fumbles and the ball changed teams almost each turn.

Well let's finish the story like this: the gods of chaos were pleased with the blood spilled on both sides and granted their chaos knights and final touchdown in the last turn.

Both coaches praised the skills and the bloodlust of the opposing teams. It was a night to remember and surely an early fan favorite to win the match-of-the-league award.

Oh and btw, just to show how amused the chaos gods were: the most valuable player award was handed to Corpseeater-Peter. Sadly he couldn't be found to be handed over the award at the end of the game (somehow the human corpse from the opposing team went missing too...).

See you in the stadium
Simon aka Zopper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Kester
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cursed to Crawl vs. Alpharetta Avengers (Take Two) was easily the best game of Blood Bowl I've played so far.

Zopper's recap pretty accurately shows how crazy it was

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Graham
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the Middenheim Misfits were just brutalized by the Ironcrag Skullsmasherz in a 2 - 0 win for the Skullsmasherz.

The Misfits took an early casualty in the first half and just couldn't make up for that lost player, the Skulls steadily whittled down the Misfits until there was only 5 players left on the pitch all down at the beginning of the last turn of the second half.

It was a hard fought match, but the Humans folded to the indomitable might of the Orcs this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon O Keeffe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when the first block of the game resulted in a death, you could see the nuffle gods were not on the Misfits side today.

Just to let everyone know, I'm away from the 5th - 8th August, so might have to forfeit my match that week if I can't organise it for another time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay in updating the status of the league, but I have been working through a dilemma, and I'd like to get league member feedback.

At the close of week 1, all matches were played except the match between LordUnborn and Anacron. I have been in contact with LordUnborn, but numerous attempts to contact Anacron (both by me and LordUnborn) have gone ignored. He has signed into BGG, so he should have seen the messages, but that point is moot at this stage.

I went ahead and manually input a score for the Anacron-LordUnborn match(a 2-0 win in favor of LordUnborn). It would be entirely possible to do this for every game Anacron is scheduled to play this season...in effect his opponent each week would get a bye. However, leaving Anacron in the league presents a few problems. First, folks who just want to play Blood Bowl will not have a chance to play a league match that week. Second, I don't believe his opponents will receive any SPPs for the matches they "win" (LordUnborn may be able to confirm or deny this, since I have awarded him the match from the first week). If no SPPs are awarded, there is a definite possibility that the folks in division 2 will have a decided advantage when the league championships are played, as they will have 2 more real games under their belts than the folks in division 1. For these reasons, I think leaving Anacron in the league is not the best course of action.

There are two alternatives, one of which may not be possible (grrr poor documentation). First, I can remove Anacron from the league and attempt to find a replacement player. I know there are players out there interested that I had turned away from the initial league signups once we filled up, so I don't think that will be a problem. However, since we are playing a championship format league, I'm not sure if this is possible once the league has started. I suspect it is not, but it may be worth a try.

The second option would be to dissolve the current league, and reform the league in an open format. There are drawbacks to the open format, to be sure, but I believe it might be the better fit for a group with varied location and real-life commitments. An open league format would allow coaches to drop out of the league with no severe consequences to the final standings. We would also probably be able to bring in new players at any time.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning toward option 2 (because I'm not sure if option 1 is even possible), but I could be swayed if there is support for another alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've been reading recently on the Cyanide forums, there currently are no championships or any type of playoffs in the current online leagues. When a season is over, the highest ranked team in division 1 is the league winner, and then the lowest ranked team in division 1 switches places with the highest ranked team in division 2. This is pretty crap, and it seems like there is some acknowledgment that this needs to change, but I don't know of any firm plans to change this.

Also, as far as I know, there's no real open format available either. With Match Frequency set to "Free", games are still scheduled, there's just no official time limit to complete your match.

Here's the discussion thread on this:
http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm good with whatever you guys decide cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's bizarre.

There's no time frame in the championship league format, short of the manager manually advancing the weeks. Our week 1 was open for around 10 days before I advanced it to week 2.

Looks like both match frequency options more or less the same thing.

I was really hoping for the PC game to take the place of FUMBBL for me, but so far the league options are pretty underwhelming. Looks like this type of league might be better off relegated to the graphically inferior, but otherwise superior FUMBBL client.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon O Keeffe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is a pity. I would have expected the league to go on for a few weeks before anyone dropped out.

Ideally I would go with option 1 but I understand it may not be technically possible. I've never actually played FUMBBL before, but I assume it is no harder than playing this new version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. L. Lloyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
...as in my brain fails me at times.
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm okay with whatever is decided as well but I'd prefer to keep playing the PC version. I've played FUMBBL and agree with the analysis of it but I'm a sucker for finally being able to watch the players move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Graham
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also open to anything but my preference is the PC Version, I've never used FUMBBL but I'm sure I can figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One possibility is to set up ad hoc playoffs in the public league after the private league runs through a season. Teams can be withdrawn from the private league and entered into the public league, and we could coordinate the playoff schedule here on BGG, and announce the results here.

Preferably, I think we'd either start one new private league with only one division, where everyone plays each other once, and then we do the ad hoc playoffs. Or, if divisions are preferred, we could set up a different league for each division.

Ultimately, I'm just happy to play regularly against coaches on BGG, without having to take my chances in the open match-making. So I'm fine even with out altering the current set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, we'll try to soldier on. I dismissed Anacron from the league...this gave him a 0-0 tie this week with his opponent (Goose). I'm still not sure if it's possible, but I'm going to try to get a replacement coach in to take the spot. My hope is that it will just plug him into the schedule, but we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't look as if it is possible to replace Anacron in the league, which is unfortunate. However, since a number of matches have already been played this week, I'd propose that we soldier on without him. The only side effect of this is that one person in division 1 each week will not have an opponent.

Go ahead and schedule/play your match against your week 2 opponent.

If this gets to be too much of a hassle, the other viable option I see would be for all 11 of the current coaches to instead move over to the other league that is forming. The league manager of that league would essentially replace Anacron. If we do form another league, I'd highly suggest having a single division since the two division implementation is, IMO, flawed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I happened to catch Raged online last night so we began to play our game, but unfortunately it seems he lost his connection only 2 turns into the match, before really anything had happened, and the game gave me the 2-0 win, 2 mvps, and buckets of money. It feels pretty undeserved, and I really would have rather had the opportunity to play the match.

The only other week 2 game that's been played is Anacron's automatic 0-0 game.

Restarting in a single division league sounds good to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah, didn't realize how messed up the system was until I read that link. That's really depressing. If I run a league I should have total admin power over it like when I run one through a website. How can they be worried about cheaters in a private league? I should be able to set results, mone, and spps if I want.

Maybe Fumbbl will jump straight to LRB6 and we can play over there soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travistdale wrote:
Restarting in a single division league sounds good to me.

I'm okay with that, too. Maybe Dorque would be interested in joining as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. L. Lloyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
...as in my brain fails me at times.
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is to reform the league with 1 division.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.