Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Ko
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just got back into MtG after a very long long haitus so I have these questions that needs a bit of clarification. For the Traumatize ability, when it says "Target player puts top half of his or her library rounded down, into his or her graveyard" What does the rounded down mean if I have a deck of 60?

Another is if a sorcery cards says to draw 2 or 3 or 4 card, can this card be played on your opponent?

last question. Once a player runs out of cards in his library, does the game end immediately or does he still get to play all the cards in his hands and in play?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Thompson
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YESH
mbmbmbmbmb
Round Down; Half of 60 rounded-down would be 30. The "rounding down" only applies to odd numbers. If, for example, a library had 59 cards, then half of 59 rounded down is (59/2 = 29.5) 29, as you round down/ignore the half.

Sorcery/drawing cards; It doesn't matter if the spell is a sorcery or an instant. What matters is how the exact text of the spell reads.

If the spell reads "you draw" then you, and only you, draw the cards.

If the spell reads "target opponent" then an opponent, and only an opponent, can be selected to draw the cards.

If the spell reads "target player" then any player, you or an opponent, draws the cards.

Empty library; A player loses the game if any effect causes them to draw a card and there are none in their library, or if they cannot draw a card from their library during their Draw Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deep Thought
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Chrono Trigger represents potential. Results require action.
badge
It is not a certainity, but I have come to believe it possible that some entity wished for us to witness these events. Perhaps it wanted us to see all of these various ages.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, the Wizards forums might be the better place to ask, but since you're here..

I'm not a huge expert, but I think:
If you have 60 or 61 cards currently in your library, you would put the top 30 into the discard.
If the cards says "draw 3 cards" ex. Concentrate, then you're the only one who can draw. If it says "each player" ex. Vision Skeins, then everyone will. Only if it says "target player" ex. Kiss of the Amesha, can you choose to give the cards to an ally or opponent.
Finally, you lose the game immediately if you have to draw a card and can't. Usually this will be in your draw phase, but if you can kill your opponent during your upkeep somehow..

ed. hmm 3 mins late
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kirby g
United States
sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sparticus75 wrote:
Hi all,

Just got back into MtG after a very long long haitus so I have these questions that needs a bit of clarification. For the Traumatize ability, when it says "Target player puts top half of his or her library rounded down, into his or her graveyard" What does the rounded down mean if I have a deck of 60?

Another is if a sorcery cards says to draw 2 or 3 or 4 card, can this card be played on your opponent?

last question. Once a player runs out of cards in his library, does the game end immediately or does he still get to play all the cards in his hands and in play?

Thanks again.

rounded down means if the deck count was an uneven number like 31 cards, 31 divided by 2 is 15.5, you cant discard half a card, so you round down and it becomes 15 cards put into the discard pile, leaving you with a deck of 16.

the sorcery card it depends on the wording, if it says target player then you can make your opponent target player. but if it says draw 2 cards or you draw 2 cards then you cant play it on your opponent.

the player loses when they are forced to draw a card and have no cards left.that could be from their draw step or another card in play causing them to draw a card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Ko
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for your replies.

Ok here comes the deep part.

1. Player plays with 60 card deck, but through a series of turn he has 40 cards left in the deck. Does he cut half of 60 or half of 40?

2. When player cuts half of his deck does he estimate the cut and round down or does he physically counts the cards to the equvelant half of his full deck and then rounds down if it is odd number?

3. This 1 card is called Tidings and it just reads " Draw 4 Cards" It does not say "target player" or "you".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deep Thought
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Chrono Trigger represents potential. Results require action.
badge
It is not a certainity, but I have come to believe it possible that some entity wished for us to witness these events. Perhaps it wanted us to see all of these various ages.
mbmbmbmbmb
Half of 40; you just look at the cards that are there. The second question is really up to you. Technically, for cards like that you need to count. If the players involved are okay with splitting it in half and eyeballing the 2 stacks, then there's no reason you have to go by the letter of the rules.

In cards with "Draw x cards" or "Gain x life", the 'you' is assumed, so only the player playing the spell will get the benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Ko
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet Wade, thanks for the heads up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.