Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: remembering lost games we don't remember rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc D
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Just happened on this site by chance (Amazon related a wargame to the Mille Borne deck I was buying my son - fancy that) and boy did it bring back memories... my much older brother had a hundred wargames we played endlessly, til he (alas) went to college and I was crushed because I could never find anybody who played but him until I reached high school. I went browsing and found many old favorites (funny that so many of my favorites from the early 70's became "classics" - third reich, panzer blitz, ...)

so ... I looked through about a thousand games without finding the one I'm looking for, whose name I do not remember. I want to find it because it was a game I found completely confusing and I don't know why, because I know others I played were far more complicated (War in the East anybody?).

Here is what I remember, and a Trillion Obama Dollars to the first one who can name it!

I think it was an Avalon Hill game - I'm certain it had the same large flat rectangular box as games such as Bismark, Midway, etc. and not one of the other variants such as SPI games, bookshelf games, etc. had ... besides, I don't think SPI was even started yet ...

It is just about the first game I ever saw, and I believe I saw it about the time I ever played my first game (Gettysburg) which was about 1970, so it must have been an early AH game, probably published 1966-1970.

It was an "abstract modern warfare" game, not based upon any historical scenario. This is perhaps the most useful piece of information, as most of the games were historically based - at least ALL the other ones I played. Since my brother did the buying (thanks bro, I owe you) I played what he liked.

There were two sides, which I remember as blue and red pieces, and each player set up at opposite ends of a long board behind a line I believe was printed on the board. I don't recall if it was square or hex board, but it was a cardboard/paper counter affair. I think it was in three parts, with the middle rectangle being the "neutral" territory to start off.

As I recall, each player received identical units, but there may have been some minor differences.

The pieces represented modern units including artillery, which was key as it could shoot all the way across the board. I can not remember all the other unit types, though there were at least 8-12, but I don't think there were nearly as many as the historical games sometimes have.

Think this is enough? Good, because it is all I can come up with right now.

Many thanks and kudos if you know it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c m
United States
ann arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics II?

Try these lists maybe:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/32515
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5834

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Maybe Tactics II?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Blitzkrieg ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How about this 'one' then? Kriegspiel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Anzio ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badinfo I think nailed it with some good info. Sounds exactly like Blitzkrieg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is

If it could shoot across the board, its not artillery, more like nukes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.