Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya,

Well, three sessions of Descent under the belt and I'm starting to get the hang of it, though frequent searches through the FAQ're still necessary. A few more questions I couldn't find an answer for--the last ones for awhile, I suspect, as I don't see another chance to play for a bit.

1) Boneheaps: searching a bone heap can produce treasure equivalent to a chest; do these chests function as chest in all regards? That is, do the heroes get Conquest if no treasure appears? Does the Great Wyrm get Conquest as well? The OL can play a Trap(space) if the heroes search the pile; can the OL play a Trap(chest) if the pile produces a chest? (I suppose the same question applies to sarcophagi.)

2) Necromancy: does the raised creature get to act (assuming it doesn't collapse) immediately? Mage kills a creature, then the zombie acts? Or does it begin next turn?

3) Heroes/monsters in a pit have LOS to spaces adjacent to the pit. Does this mean you can attack creatures at the edge of a pit from within a pit? Do you suffer the penalty for elevation?

4) Can large creatures walk across a 1-space pit without effect? What happens when a large creature walks into a 2-space pit; the faq (p2) suggests it should suffer the effect of that terrain.

5) In RtL, when the heroes head to a new level, the OL keeps his hand of cards, threat and any Power cards in play. However: what happens to the deck? Are the discards shuffled back in or left aside? If left, doesn’t this mean that the OL could theoretically finish off the deck on the first round of the new level (if there were only a few cards left) making it far more likely of ejecting the heroes for 2 cycles through the deck?

6) Villagers: do they block LOS for spawning purposes? As ‘Props’ they seem to--but doesn’t that make #27: the Monastery an almost impossible rescue mission? (It’s also thematically a bit weird.) But if they’re props, does that make them immune to bleed, burn, etc...?

Thanks! Hope the answers to these questions helps others as well.

-M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadu
Brazil
São Gonçalo
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
badge
Spectreman fan!
mbmbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:
Hiya,

3) Heroes/monsters in a pit have LOS to spaces adjacent to the pit. Does this mean you can attack creatures at the edge of a pit from within a pit? Do you suffer the penalty for elevation?

4) Can large creatures walk across a 1-space pit without effect? What happens when a large creature walks into a 2-space pit; the faq (p2) suggests it should suffer the effect of that terrain.

3) Yes. Its possible attack a figure at edge of pit from within that pit. But is not possible make such attack if target is not adjacent to the pit. No penalty for elevation.

4) Yes, a large figure can move across a pit (1 espace) without suffer damage. A figure will suffer wounds only when his entire body covers pit espaces that are adjacent each other. These pits, for game purposes, acts like a one larger pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:
5) In RtL, when the heroes head to a new level, the OL keeps his hand of cards, threat and any Power cards in play. However: what happens to the deck? Are the discards shuffled back in or left aside? If left, doesn’t this mean that the OL could theoretically finish off the deck on the first round of the new level (if there were only a few cards left) making it far more likely of ejecting the heroes for 2 cycles through the deck?

The deck stays as it is; there is no rule telling you to do anything with it. So you don't.

Yes, this means the OL could finish the deck on the first round of the new level. That's why it takes two shuffles to eject the heroes, not one. Even in the worst case, if it happens, the heroes are either stalling, or better off ejected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:
1) Boneheaps: searching a bone heap can produce treasure equivalent to a chest; do these chests function as chest in all regards? That is, do the heroes get Conquest if no treasure appears? Does the Great Wyrm get Conquest as well? The OL can play a Trap(space) if the heroes search the pile; can the OL play a Trap(chest) if the pile produces a chest? (I suppose the same question applies to sarcophagi.)

The rulebook says "treat the boneheap as a chest", so until being told otherwise, that's exactly what I do, conquest & traps & all.

Weloi Avala wrote:
2) Necromancy: does the raised creature get to act (assuming it doesn't collapse) immediately? Mage kills a creature, then the zombie acts?

Can't see why not.

Weloi Avala wrote:
6) Villagers: do they block LOS for spawning purposes? As ‘Props’ they seem to--but doesn’t that make #27: the Monastery an almost impossible rescue mission? (It’s also thematically a bit weird.) But if they’re props, does that make them immune to bleed, burn, etc...?

As you pointed out, the big question is: Are villagers "figures", or are they "obstacles that can be killed", or are they something else altogether (like familiars).
I used to believe villagers were not figures, but I changed my mind after the latest FAQ came out.
No, I'm afraid I don't recall what specifically changed my mind about it.
So since they're "tiny, flat figures", you'd ignore them when checking spawning-related LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoneCleric wrote:
Weloi Avala wrote:

The rulebook says "treat the boneheap as a chest", so until being told otherwise, that's exactly what I do, conquest & traps & all.

+1

Quote:
Weloi Avala wrote:
2) Necromancy: does the raised creature get to act (assuming it doesn't collapse) immediately? Mage kills a creature, then the zombie acts?

Can't see why not.

Since the animated monster specifically moves just after the controlling hero's turn ends, yes, the zombie acts almost immediately. The mage must still complete his turn first though. See the description of the Necromancy skill.

Quote:
Weloi Avala wrote:

As you pointed out, the big question is: Are villagers "figures", or are they "obstacles that can be killed", or are they something else altogether (like familiars).
I used to believe villagers were not figures, but I changed my mind after the latest FAQ came out.
No, I'm afraid I don't recall what specifically changed my mind about it. :(
So since they're "tiny, flat figures", you'd ignore them when checking spawning-related LOS.

I don't think the question of whether they are figures or not is at all relevant actually.
Villagers explicitly block LOS (and movement, see their description, RtL pg27). There is no exception for them relating to spawning, so they block LOS for spawning too.
Lets face it. The Monastery is pretty easy otherwise, with no Boss to worry about.
At bronze level few monster spawns are going to oneshot villagers anyway, and at higher levels the heroes should be able to get someone forward far enough to prevent most spawning anyway on turn one (fast hero with upgrade(s) running).
OL has lost his Boss on this level. Throw him a bone and play RAW so the heroes don't just walk away with a bunch of free stuff!

The part in the latest FAQ that changed your mind about villagers being figures was the third question on page 11, the answer to which includes the statement that 'villagers are figures, not map elements'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
I don't think the question of whether they are figures or not is at all relevant actually.
Villagers explicitly block LOS (and movement, see their description, RtL pg27). There is no exception for them relating to spawning, so they block LOS for spawning too.

But I didn't think that villagers blocked LOS for spawning because of an exception. The other way around actually. Because figures are ignored by default when spawning, aren't they? I thought I was the one playing RAW here...

Alright, let's dig out the rulebook...
Descent rules wrote:
Exception: For purposes of spawning new monsters, other monster figures do not block a hero’s line of sight.

Oh. Oooooh!
So the rules, as they're written, are specific to monster figures. Not just figures, not "friendly" or "enemy" figures...
Even assuming this should read "enemy figures", villagers clearly don't belong to any of those categories, even if they are figures. So they should still block LOS when spawning...

corbon wrote:
The part in the latest FAQ that changed your mind about villagers being figures was the third question on page 11, the answer to which includes the statement that 'villagers are figures, not map elements'.

Right, that's the bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.