Subject: Game nights for families in Christchurch: A session report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Shortall
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
As both gamers and home educators we wanted to share this experience with other families who would otherwise not be exposed to boardgames and especially Euro boardgames. Last year in 2008 we hosted an event at the Upper Riccarton Library conference room and had some 50 people come to try out new games and have a powerpoint presentation on Boardgames and their educational/fun value. We followed this up in 2009 on Wednesday with a Mid-Winter Co-operative games night with a hot Chocolate and marshmallows supper provided at the Waimairi Community Centre. It exceeded our expectations with the maximum 60 people. On the night we had two tables of Shadows Over Camelot, two tables of Pandemic, two of Saboteur and one each of Terra, Red November and Break the Safe. Other filler games were provided such as Hey That's My Fish, Chateau Roquefort, Buccaneer, Beetlez, Rattlesnake and such like, although not co-operative games. We also had Reiner Knizias Lord of The Rings but it was not played on the night. The big disappointment would have to have been Red November as it really only appealed to the teenage lads. Most people had a go at Pandemic (with little success) but thoroughly enjoyed the subtleties of a well designed game. Shadows was probably the big hit of the night along with maximum players (10) doing the Saboteur tables. With some more facilitators and helpers we could have had more tables going but it is hoped we can get a larger venue/event going next time. A sales table kept people intrigued with a mix of games available from the night and a few others as well. Looks like Shadows Over Camelot and Pandemic will have a few more copies sold in the near future. The copies of Saboteur for sale leapt off the table pretty darn quick.

Looking forward to developing the organisational aspects and hoping to try this again. Any ideas are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome! It is great to see gaming that doesn't involve miniatures being promoted in Canterbury.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Groen
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi John,

If you need more help let me know. With advance notice I would be more than happy to help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the next few years as my kids grow I intend to run a family room at Wellycon unless someone offers to do it first. My kids aren't old enough yet, but there was still a handful of Dads that brought along their under tens last year and they seemed to enjoy it. Maybe more this year, we'll see.

Anyway its great to see you pushing the family aspects. Makes me think I ought to try sabetour again, my wife loves it.

Good job.
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with John G, I would also be happy to help out if you need extra people to teach games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shortall
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Thanks John and Craig. Much appreciated. I'm looking forward to making a big night of it before the years out wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.