Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Ok ok..so theres the off chance I may like Vista... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Long story short, yesterday my mobo finally fried, which in turn fried my power supply. Called around to local repair shops etc, was shocked to find out that it would cost just as much to keep my computer 'old' then to get a huge upgrade from Best Buy. So I went with the Dell Inspiron, 640 gig of memory, Core 2 Duo processor, 4 gig of Ram that handles Vista like a charm...I have to admit it seems like they fixed a majority of the problems and it is warming up to me...

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Long story short, yesterday my mobo finally fried, which in turn fried my power supply. Called around to local repair shops etc, was shocked to find out that it would cost just as much to keep my computer 'old' then to get a huge upgrade from Best Buy. So I went with the Dell Inspiron, 640 gig of memory, Core 2 Duo processor, 4 gig of Ram that handles Vista like a charm...I have to admit it seems like they fixed a majority of the problems.



You like... Vista... .... ?....

NooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Wait, you're talking about the OS? Oh.

NooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant really find much without it these days , but its great so far.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Windows 7. Much, much better OS.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Try Windows 7. Much, much better OS.


In all seriousness, Win7 seems to be the XP beater we were all looking for in Vista.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Er. How long's your screen?

It's always cheaper to throw something away and buy a new one than to repair something.

What do you think the economy is based on?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
Avatar
mbmb
Seriously I don't know where all the hate for Vista comes from. Apart from MS forcing you to register it with them and having to repeat that registration every time you change your hardware, I am very happy with Vista.
I know, that some people had major problems with drivers in the beginning, but mine is working fine since I bought it together with a new PC in December 2007.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vista works fine. If you can't get Vista to run stable, then here's a quarter. Go buy yourself a Vista for dummies.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, first of all Joao - look what you did to the screen!!
It's all looooong now! shake


Ok, so - I've been long overdue for an OS upgrade too and
now many of my proggies are having issues...I'm still on
Win 200 and was trying to figure out if I should get
Vista too or maybe just get XP...so,
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I have one thing though that confuses the hell out of me. I have a second monitor hooked up to my laptop. In the display settings I tell the computer that the laptop is the primary monitor, however everytime after the computer goes to sleep it switches the primary monitor to the one on the right--everything on both screens has switched. I always have to reapply the settings..
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Tanakor wrote:
Seriously I don't know where all the hate for Vista comes from...


At this point, it's Apple's marketing strategy.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
Try Windows 7. Much, much better OS.


In all seriousness, Win7 seems to be the XP beater we were all looking for in Vista.


I suppose, but I do not have any issues with Vista.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanakor wrote:
Seriously I don't know where all the hate for Vista comes from.
[1] Apart from MS forcing you to register it with them and having to repeat that registration every time you change your hardware, I am very happy with Vista.

OK, that's one.

My PC was tooo old. So old, I had to play Call of Duty 4 and Armed Assault on the laptop my work provides me


So now I finally bought a new PC, an Aspire M5201 quadcore. Yeah baby, game on!

I install my fav. online shooter: CoD4. Doesn't work under Vista. Google. "install this, do that, manually adept teh script there and then reboot in save modus and summersault and it will work" Yeah, sure, you think I like messing around on my PC? The thing should be like my toaster: press 'on' and it works. Google some more. "Under Vista CoD4 returns a strange error and won't start. Plug in you mic and the game will start." Say what? Tried it. Damn, it even works!

Now my fav. tac combat game, Armed Assault. Doesn't work either. Patching. Doesn't work either. Now, yesterday evening, finally: a (untested) beta patch and the game is running.

So in the end, all's well. But no easy plug&play (apart from that mic-thing )
On to the next game. See what that does under Vista

yuk
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
So I went with the Dell Inspiron, 640 gig of memory, Core 2 Duo processor...


No wonder he's having no problems with vista. His system has 640 gigs of memory. He met the recommended specs.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I just got a Dell Studio XPS (Core i7), and it's awesome. For the first time, I have a PC that is faster than I can multitask. The bad thing is that, now instead of being aggravated at home, I'm aggravated at work, as my work laptop now is a relative snail.

I have been very happy with XP for work and home, and Vista has been fine so far. The only real problem for me is the changes in how Folder Search works, as I do it all the time and it's hard for me to change my ways.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
I just got a Dell Studio XPS (Core i7), and it's awesome. For the first time, I have a PC that is faster than I can multitask. The bad thing is that, now instead of being aggravated at home, I'm aggravated at work, as my work laptop now is a relative snail.

I have been very happy with XP for work and home, and Vista has been fine so far. The only real problem for me is the changes in how Folder Search works, as I do it all the time and it's hard for me to change my ways.


But you have to admit that the Vista folder search is much more useful! I get annoyed know when I search for stuff on my work computer and have to wait an eon for it to come back.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
thermogimp wrote:
But you have to admit that the Vista folder search is much more useful!

One week in, I haven't gotten to that stage yet, but I'm remaining optimistic. Right now, I'm too busy with Fallout 3 and the Live Photo Gallery.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Prismcat wrote:
I'm still on Win 200...



Wow, that is old. Windows 201 was way better.



Here's the thing about Vista:

For your average, casual Home user - it's just fine - perfect, even.
For a power-user, or in a business environment - it's a train wreck.

I have Vista on my laptop at home and I love it - it does every thing I need it to do, quickly, and without error.
At work, (I work for a company that makes Point-of-Sale software for the dry-cleaning industry) we do our best to steer out customers away from Vista - I can't even begin to recount the number of headaches we've run into with Vista when everything "just works" in XP or even one of the Windows Server editions.

That said, it looks like Windows 7 could be pretty awesome.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quixote171 wrote:
Prismcat wrote:
I'm still on Win 200...



Wow, that is old. Windows 201 was way better.



Here's the thing about Vista:

For your average, casual Home user - it's just fine - perfect, even.
For a power-user, or in a business environment - it's a train wreck.

I have Vista on my laptop at home and I love it - it does every thing I need it to do, quickly, and without error.
At work, (I work for a company that makes Point-of-Sale software for the dry-cleaning industry) we do our best to steer out customers away from Vista - I can't even begin to recount the number of headaches we've run into with Vista when everything "just works" in XP or even one of the Windows Server editions.

That said, it looks like Windows 7 could be pretty awesome.





oops, should say Win2000...was hoping no one would notice the typo if I didn't mention it
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ooh, my non-BGG friend says go here to buy Windows Vista and you get a coupon for a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Vista works fine. If you can't get Vista to run stable, then here's a quarter. Go buy yourself a Vista for dummies.


Orrr buy new hardware.

My problem with Vista? Too much Ado for Nothing. I hope win7 is better.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.