Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe asked me to ask YOU if you've got any ideas for new special buildings that might be published in Essen. Please psot your ideas, as soon as possible, and test them, if you can. We will test them as well and maybe some of them will make it to a little expansion deck in Essen. Uwe has already got many new ideas on his own and they are currently tested. So, if you want to see a building of yours, hurry up!

Please, DO NOT post here any more. Thanks!

The discussion will be continued in the geeklist.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44137
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Building: Lookout Games HQ

Cost: 30f

Action: 1 wood x1-> 1 copy of Mercator

=][=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Roberts
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a building that allowed you to exchange one basic type of good for another would be useful. Maybe it would also allow you to exchange non-basic goods, but you would have to pay a franc to make that exhange.

Mercantile Exchange

Cost: 2 wood/1 clay

Allows you to exchange any one type of basic good for one type of any other basic good, up to three units may be exchanged. Or, you may exchange any one type of non-basic good for one type of any other non-basic good at a cost of 1 franc per exchange, for a maximum of two units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenjy wrote:
Cost: 2 wood/1 clay

I thought there was a building that already allows the exchange of goods.

At any rate, I think you need the cost in Francs, right? Special buildings come out at certain times and can't be built (unless it's like the stadium).

Correct me if I'm wrong. I've only played three times.

=][=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Roberts
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mercantile exhange
I didn't think there was a place where general exchanges could be made, but I've only played a few times myself, so maybe I missed it. I looked over a player aid that listed the buildings, and didn't see one. I'll have to double-check the actual cards tonight.

Forgot that this was for special buildings only.
Suggested building cost: 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some rough, untested and uncosted ideas:

Soup Kitchen
(Has food production table same as a ship)

Building Permit Office
(Occupy to raise ANY building in one of the 3 building piles to the top of its pile)

Automobile Plant
(Pay energy to turn Steel into francs)

I love special buildings. And I really would like to see a means of more entering the game.

Jugg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
kenjy wrote:
I didn't think there was a place where general exchanges could be made, but I've only played a few times myself, so maybe I missed it. I looked over a player aid that listed the buildings, and didn't see one. I'll have to double-check the actual cards tonight.

Forgot that this was for special buildings only.
Suggested building cost: 8

thumbsup

Only have one game in so far, but there were several times that we wanted to trade goods with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bulk Buy Warehouse.

Cost to buy: 8.

Cost to use: 2 food/1 Franc.

The player may buy any number of upgraded goods for the value of the good(s) +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hum, sounds like a fun exercise! Let's see what I can dig up quick...

-Subprefecture: A building which gives a rebate to purchase a building currently owned by the town

-Real Estate Company: A building which allows you to sell a building for its full value

-Luxury Smokehouse: 1 wood + 1 charcoal + 1 fish --> 3 smoked fishes

-Fishermen tavern: A building that allows to trade 1 Franc(or 1 meat?) for 3 fishes

-Boat Rental: Pick the topmost boat from the lowest quality available. At each interest phase, pay 1 Franc, or return it on its supply stack. It has a value of 0 while it is rented. Limit of 1 rented boat per player.

-Public Market: Exchange one resource for another one of same exact monetary value. Limit of 3 times each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
kenjy wrote:
Allows you to exchange any one type of basic good for one type of any other basic good, up to three units may be exchanged. Or, you may exchange any one type of non-basic good for one type of any other non-basic good at a cost of 1 franc per exchange, for a maximum of two units.

Interesting concept. Uwe will definitely do something like this.

the1jugg wrote:
Soup Kitchen
(Has food production table same as a ship)

This idea is great! Uwe loves it.

Quote:
Building Permit Office
(Occupy to raise ANY building in one of the 3 building piles to the top of its pile)

Uwe has already something similar.

Quote:
Automobile Plant

This would be an end building and completely useless at the beginning and in the middle of the game. Therefore NO, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recycling plant: turns 3 standard goods into one basic good (low value goods), and turns 3 upgraded goods into one high value good (eg iron, coal).

You could make this 2:1 if this seems weedy as most special buildings are rather nice.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ponton wrote:
kenjy wrote:
Automobile Plant

This would be an end building and completely useless at the beginning and in the middle of the game. Therefore NO, sorry.

Actually this is one of my favorite ideas for a special building. Perhaps because I have occasionally got to the 'final turn' with steel, but fell just short of being able to either ship it or build a steel ship/luxury liner.

Besides, there are at least a few other buildings that are end-game only and virtually useless at the beginning/middle stages -- I don't see this as being any different than some of the other buildings that only get used at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, you're a little bit right, but there aren't sooo many of them. I can only think of the Workers' Cottages as one. Which others did you have in mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Speedracer513 wrote:
Ponton wrote:
kenjy wrote:
Automobile Plant

Actually this is one of my favorite ideas for a special building. Perhaps because I have occasionally got to the 'final turn' with steel, but fell just short (energy-wise) of being able to either ship it or build a steel ship/luxury liner.

Besides, there are at least a few other buildings that are end-game only and virtually useless at the beginning/middle stages -- I don't see this as being any different than some of the other buildings that only get used at the end.

Doesn't the Stadium fall into to this category since it is required to only be available to build when one of the building spaces is fully depleted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
For those that would like to add a bit of screwage to the game:

The Bordello:

As your building action, you can move another player's token into the Bordello (entry fee 3F). The other player pays the entry fee. He also pays 1F every turn until he leaves the Bordello. If the other player doesn't have enough money to pay, he must take a loan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Uwe asked me to ask YOU if you've got any ideas for new special buildings that might be published in Essen. Please psot your ideas, as soon as possible, and test them, if you can. We will test them as well and maybe some of them will make it to a little expansion deck in Essen. Uwe has already got many new ideas on his own and they are currently tested. So, if you want to see a building of yours, hurry up!

What about :

Sea Port
Hammer symbol/Industrial building
Cost : 12F
Entry fee : 1 food
The owner of this building may ship up to +1 goods when using Shipping Line at the cost of 1F.

(2 power) ==(1x)==> one ship to ship out goods
(6 power) ========> per ship to ship out goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
Doesn't the Stadium fall into to this category since it is required to only be available to build when one of the building spaces is fully depleted?

Depending on your group and the layout of the buildings, this might be a mid-game building. But you're right. The MS Dagmar also is an end-game special building. The only common thing for all of those buildings is, they don't provide any action.

Oh, and to make this clear: I only posted, what Uwe said. I was completely OK with your building, although, however, I generally don't like buildings that can't be used right away. This said, yes, I don't like Football Stadium and MS Dagmar. Workers' Cottages, on the other hand, add another tactical decision: do I buy it now or do I wait and risk that another player does so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Book Bindery
Hammer symbol/Industrial building(?)
Cost : 5F

2 WOOD --> 1/2 Franc
or
1 LEATHER --> 4 Franc

There are no special buildings that allow change of just wood into Francs. Wood is so important to the beginning of the game that this would add a further choice: Do I use the wood for building or change it into cash?
For the later game, the option of changing Leather into cash, without needing a second good to accompany it, might make producing Leather a more attractive prospect (No one ever produces leather in our games).
{Also, Book Binderies used to believe that Leather binding a book helped to preserve it: No one does that now, so it's historical}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the evil? Here it is.

Tax Agent
Government building
Cost: 12F
Entry fee: None

When activated by a player, all players must immediately pay 5 Francs. Players unable to do so must take a loan.

Loan Interest now costs 2 Francs. A player who owns this building only pays 1 Franc in interest.

The bit about owning gives encouragement for a money-rich player to purchase the building, reducing their available cash (for balance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
aaxiom wrote:
SteveK2 wrote:

The Bordello:

As your building action, you can move another player's token into the Bordello (entry fee 3F). The other player pays the entry fee. He also pays 1F every turn until he leaves the Bordello. If the other player doesn't have enough money to pay, he must take a loan.

Funny... this was the very first thing I thought of for some odd reason. Then you made it real. Interesting how that happens sometimes.

That'll be 3 Francs, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe/Ponton,

Is the intention for any more potential special buildings to use as some kind of bonus, like 12 from last year? If we were to see more special buildings, I think a lot of us would prefer to pay for a whole set - or be able to donate to Lookout's charity - on the spot rather than get one card per 10 Euros spent or do the donation post-Essen.

Cheers,

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Perschbacher
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

The Bordello:

I think this or an idea like it is a good idea and creates more interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Roberts
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawn Shop
Pawn Shop
Cost: 8 Francs

Upon entering, player may sell up to 4 of any goods:
1/2 franc for each basic good
1 franc for each non-basic good
Any goods sold remain on card

or

Player may buy any existing goods on card
1 franc for each basic good
2 francs for each non-basic good

Card starts with one of each basic good placed and non-basic good stacked on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenjy wrote:
Pawn Shop
Cost: 8 Francs

Upon entering, player may sell up to 4 of any goods:
1/2 franc for each basic good
1 franc for each non-basic good
Any goods sold remain on card

or

Player may buy any existing goods on card
1 franc for each basic good
2 francs for each non-basic good

Card starts with one of each basic good placed and non-basic good stacked on it.

I vaguely recall there being a card like this already. (I could easily be wrong.)

dreadpirate wrote:
Book Bindery
Hammer symbol/Industrial building(?)
Cost : 5F

2 WOOD --> 1/2 Franc
or
1 LEATHER --> 4 Franc

I like this idea, though I'd make it something like:

1 WOOD + 1 LEATHER ---4x---> 6 Francs

The 6F is based off leather giving 4F if you ship it. Maybe drop it to 5F, but I wanted it to be worth using. The joinery already provides an option to directly convert wood into coins. There's also that clothing special building, though I forget what the power looks like.

EDIT: Yep, the Pawnbroker from Le Havre Expansion: Essen Promo Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Roberts
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawn shop
Don't own the Essen expansion set, so seemed new to me. However, I think mine better captures the spirit of the pawn shop--buys low and sells high. But I also like the way they allow the person to buy back their goods without visiting the broker. So much for reinventing the wheel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.