Subject: list of deleted games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying without luck to find a list of games that have been removed from BGG. (Which would hopefully list reasons as well)

Just went in to register a play on the unusual letter-dice game "Spit It Out!" and it was totally gone. It's not either of the other games with the same name and I still have the email from when I submitted a picture for it - it was game # 36901

I've no doubt it was a game that got few hits, but does that mean it would be removed?

Hopefully it wasn't removed because it looked a little like Boggle as it was very different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible that if the game was published under a different name somewhere, the entry may have changed names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the name changed, the id wouldn't have though. 36901 is definitely gone.

Some games do disappear. I was watching a prototype called Plagues of Egypt, had some gorgeous art by Josh Cappel, then boom, gone forever. Maybe they just cancelled the game, I don't know.

An established published game should never disappear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes listings are merged when the game has multiple entries. Is there an earlier listing for it?

Plug in spill and see if a matching game comes up or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Sometimes listings are merged when the game has multiple entries. Is there an earlier listing for it?

Plug in spill and see if a matching game comes up or something.

Yeah no, I tried that but while the two other "Spit It Out" games are similar to each other, they're quite different from the one that has been removed.

This is the image that was formerly linked to the game. Note it now has "N/A" listed in the top left where I presume the game name was before.

Picture showing the distinctive cloth board and shaker/dice dealer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
...well it looks nothing like Boggle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try geekmailing an admin then.

Maybe the game was deleted by accident, or they didn't realize it was real, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
...well it looks nothing like Boggle...

Well, the shadowy "Removalist" could have easily looked at a misleading image showing just the dice-with-letters-on-them and assumed you had to write down as many words as you could see in the time ... and so he'd assumed it was a knock-off of boggle....

But that's just my conspiratorial guess, I'm sure the answer's much more pragmatic than that!

I'll ask an admin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hmm... I handle the bulk of deletions/mergers/et al. and I don't recall this entry at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slip of the finger perhaps?

Are there no records kept? IE, logged, or not actually being deleted, but instead just flagged as deleted?

If not, Christopher should just re-submit the game entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.