Popular Tags: [View All]
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I seem to remember reading an old post in which someone stated the opinion that Cavalry (costing 20 talents) and Catapults (30) were too expensive relative to Infantry (10) in CotE I.

I must say, after a couple of games, I share the sentiment. I'm tempted to reduce the cost of Cavalry to 15, and Catapults to 20.

Has anybody else tried something similar? How did it turn out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typhon wrote:
Hi folks,

I seem to remember reading an old post in which someone stated the opinion that Cavalry (costing 20 talents) and Catapults (30) were too expensive relative to Infantry (10) in CotE I.

I must say, after a couple of games, I share the sentiment. I'm tempted to reduce the cost of Cavalry to 15, and Catapults to 20.

Has anybody else tried something similar? How did it turn out?

I have actually only played the "II" version, but even in that game we have modified the abilities of both catapults and cavalry to justify their higher cost. The absolutely HORRIBLE combat resolution system in Conquest-Original (MB GM Series) was replaced by a marginally less horrible one in Conquest-Classic (EG). My game group is currently writing/creating an alternative combat system for Conquest-Classic to make it worth playing. Something along the lines of catapult hits yield two casualties and cavalry get to choose the opponents casualty if they hit; we are considering doing this in the context of a Main Cohort Attack/Defense force (7 units max), and a Supporting Cohort Attack/Defense force (also 7 units max).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
I have actually only played the "II" version, but even in that game we have modified the abilities of both catapults and cavalry to justify their higher cost. The absolutely HORRIBLE combat resolution system in Conquest-Original (MB GM Series) was replaced by a marginally less horrible one in Conquest-Classic (EG). My game group is currently writing/creating an alternative combat system for Conquest-Classic to make it worth playing. Something along the lines of catapult hits yield two casualties and cavalry get to choose the opponents casualty if they hit; we are considering doing this in the context of a Main Cohort Attack/Defense force (7 units max), and a Supporting Cohort Attack/Defense force (also 7 units max).

Huh, I'd love to hear more about this. Keep us updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.