Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just scored a copy of original Battlestations in a math trade. The PDF/Errata looks kind of sketchy and vague in places. Is it possible to play using the update sheet and errata, or am I going to be pulling my hair out in frustration and eventually cough up $15 for the new rulebook?

What have your experiences been? Thank you! Is there anything else cool in the new version other than minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good question. One of the issues seems to be the ref cards are also different so having a new rulebook and old ref cards would be annoying. I recently sold my Battlestations collection and will probably pick up the new 1.1 version eventually. I'm assuming we'll see reprints of the other books down the road to be compatible with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. While being nicer than cardboard chits, I think that the two rubber ships in 1.1 are nothing to get excited about. You will be much better off by buying some metal or plastic starship miniatures or using some from another space game.

The cardboard used for the components in 1.0 has been a little thicker than the one used in 1.1, so I would prefer the old edition here.

The old edition had more of the character standee-sheets included, in the new accidently only one sheet has been included. You can download the file though and print out as many as you need.

Now for the rulebook... Having errata and updates included in the new book is what made me buy it. I did not like to write down all the changes into the old book. And using the old book with the updates printed out as an addition beneath seemed even worse. The game is complex enough as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 1.1 rulebook if you would like to peruse it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I asked Jeff & Jason about an "upgrade kit" last Essen... haven't heard anything since, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfzell wrote:
The old edition had more of the character standee-sheets included, in the new accidently only one sheet has been included. You can download the file though and print out as many as you need.

Ohh, that's really bad. They don't offer to mail you replacements? Printing them out on my printer would never match the laminated cardboard the originals have. Considering the game is quite expensive that's not good at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is quite playable in the 1.0 version, so no pressing need to go to 1.1 unless you want to.

If you do want to go with version 1.1 then I'd suggest getting the new rule book. There are enough errata (more changes than errata actually) to make it worthwhile.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Strauss
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several reasons for the 1.1 rulebook. Having the 1.0 out of print was only one of them. The rules update for me are mandatory, as it makes the game a lot better explained. Errata will surely help.

1.0 components are sufficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll scan in 1.0, add errata in the margins using a layout program, and print it out on 11 X 17 paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is a short document highlighting the fundamental changes between the versions.

http://battlestations.info/battlestationsrevisions.pdf

I don't think you should have to buy a new copy of the game.

js
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.