Subject: Just got robbed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
...but not with a gun (that's happened before, unfortunately). This time it was credit card fraud, straight out of my bank account. The thief opened up accounts at several on-line dating services. The most ironic part is the name of two of the sites:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
ChristianMingle.com and ChristianCafe.com

Fortunately, we have already been in contact with my bank, and all of the websites involved. It looks like we should be getting back all of the charges, in addition to any fees that the bank initially charged us - but that'll take us into next week with a depleted account. One downside, of course, is I have to cancel the card, which is linked to a lot of accounts - including Thoughthammer, naturally - and that means a lot more calls and web account updates. The lesson (which I'm not learning for the first time): keep a close eye on statements and transactions. We'll also be filing a police report with our local sherrif, just in case the perp can be caught - slim chance, I know, but if we do nothing then it may be your account next, and I wouldn't want that to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrrg! D*mn identity pirates! Run 'em outta town!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Rob, I'm really sorry. I don't even enjoy dating those Christian girls that much--don't know what I was thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
We came home from a weekend away to find our bed room ransacked once.

The only thing missing was one credit card and a 'cheap' yellow gold ring (walked past the MAC, checked out my gaming room, there were a lot of valuables in the bedroom they go the stuff) so we figured it wasn't a 'professional'. It took forever for the police to get there. In the mean time, my wife called the credit card and found out there was a charge at a gas station around the corner that Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (it was Sunday) BUT also a LARGE bill from a restaurant around the corner. So, my wife called them. They said they talk to the waitress. That waitress called back and remembered the table because it was a group of guys with someone that HAD WORKED THERE.

By the time to police got there we had everywhere the card had been used, a witness to the card use AND a name of someone that was either party before or after the fact. He sat in the car a long time talking to the waitress. We filed the report and said the 'victim's crime unit' would keep us informed. We called and left a couple voice mail, but NEVER heard back from them. We got all our money back, but we figure they never bothered following up. I guess they didn't like us doing their work.

There's been a couple times we've had problems with our cards. It sure is a pain to take care of. Never had a problem with the money, but just the bother.

One credit card number was 'compromised' once, so the bank decided to cancel it and send us a new one. They left a message on our voice mail. Unfortunately, we were out of town at Disney World. We found all this out when we were trying to pay for dinner with our ONLY credit card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
One credit card number was 'compromised' once, so the bank decided to cancel it and send us a new one. They left a message on our voice mail. Unfortunately, we were out of town at Disney World. We found all this out when we were trying to pay for dinner with our ONLY credit card.

Do you know why they thought it was 'compromised'? Could it have been because they saw someone racking up charges on your card in Orlando FL when you clearly live somewhere else; when they couldn't contact you to verify that it was you making the charges they cancelled your card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

Do you know why they thought it was 'compromised'? Could it have been because they saw someone racking up charges on your card in Orlando FL when you clearly live somewhere else; when they couldn't contact you to verify that it was you making the charges they cancelled your card?

That's what happened with me. I was shopping Labor day sales because I needed new furniture. My card was declined at one point and I wasn't notified. I immediately called them after the decline and asked why they did it and not tell me. Apparently it was abnormal activity so they shut the card down. After explaining it to them, they reactivated the card and I continued shopping. If they didn't do that, I would have blown a casket, bitched out at them, and gotten a new card elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

My bank did that too me as well. No explanation as to why, I just got a letter one day with a new card in it telling me the old was had some "suspicious" activity on it, and was being replaced. But there were never any funds removed from my account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

No it was in that list of AT&T accounts that hit the news a couple years back.

Also since I live in Florida, spending money at Disney wasn't unusual activity in my account back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
About the closest I have is earlier this year, I saw on a statement for my work-issued "travel" card (which I've only used twice, on business trips) a $25 at some hotel I'd never heard of. I called the credit card company first to tell them I wanted to dispute that; I'd never been to the hotel nor indeed heard of it. They put the transaction on a dispute hold, and said they'd get back to me.

About a month later, I got mail from the credit card company saying the charge looked valid, and included a copy of a receipt from the hotel showing the charge. Fortunately, the receipt had the hotel's phone number on it, so I called them.

Long story short, after about a week of off-and-on calling and emailing, I DID get it straightened out. We're still not sure how my CC# got on that charge (because the guy in the room for who the charge was for paid for the room with another card), but at least it's taken care of. It was strange. The only thing I can think of is that it was a manual-entry transaction and somehow my number was mis-typed in there. (The charge was for a valet service).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes!! Thank goodness you caught it, but I'm sorry for the hassle you have to deal with now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Rappak wrote:
If they didn't do that, I would have blown a casket, bitched out at them, and gotten a new card elsewhere.
That sounds almost as BAD as the 'penguin' whom took his car in for some "service" deal, and then went out for some 'ice cream', of which he sloppily consumed it. Once he returned for his vehicle's diagnosis, the mechanic informed him: "well, it looks like you 'blew a seal'!"
to which the 'penguin' replied: "no I didn't! it was 'ice cream', I swear!"
robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a problem like that a year and a half ago. Someone in NC got my checking account number and made themselves a big phony check. I had just been paid two days before and was shocked to discover that I was overdrawn $400! I found out on New Year's Eve no less! Thankfully I had sufficient cash in my savings account to get me through the weekend. My boss gave me a small advance as well. It took me about three weeks to get my money back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.