bran mcmillin
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading through the 3rd Ed. rules and I am having a bit of difficulty figuring out the income steps, at least I think I am.

My Understanding:

During the round, the shipping of goods, then the $ generated is recorded on the income track.

Then you collect the income, placing the cash in front of each owed player.

Then paying the expenses of the # of tracks personally owned and on the amount of shares issued, from a players personal income track. This amount is not reset but continues to grow through out the game.

The income reduction level is for the end game, when if I ended the game with 25 on the income track, the points gained would be 21 (since the reduction is -4).

Am I close, desperately lost, or surprisingly correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bran wrote:
Then paying the expenses of the # of tracks personally owned and on the amount of shares issued, from a players personal income track. This amount is not reset but continues to grow through out the game.

You pay for tracks when you build them during the build phase.
After shipping goods (and increasing income on the income track accordingly) you get paid.
Next you pay expenses - pay $1/share issued and $1/engine level, all from cash on hand.
Income goes down if you cannot afford to pay your expenses.

Quote:
The income reduction level is for the end game, when if I ended the game with 25 on the income track, the points gained would be 21 (since the reduction is -4).

At the end of each turn, players' income is reduced 2 spaces if you're between 11-20 income, 4 spaces if you're between 21-30 income, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be even more clear (my additions in red):

rockusultimus wrote:
You pay for tracks when you build them during the build phase.
After Ship goods (and increasing income on the income track accordingly) you get paid.
Collect income in cash, based on each player's current position on the income track.
Next you pay expenses - pay $1/share issued and $1/engine level, all from cash on hand. If desired, cash income and expenses can be combined into a single payment/collection. E.g. If a player's position on the income track is $2, and their current expenses are 2 shares + 1 engine (2+1=$3), the player can simply pay $1 ($2 income - $3 expense) rather than going through the hassle of collecting $2 and then immediately paying $3.
Income goes down 1 space for each dollar of expenses if you cannot afford to pay your expenses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bran mcmillin
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you gentlemen, for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the harsh and sometimes cruel world of Age of Steam. Not only you are stuck with the shares that you issued throughout the game, but you will get -3vps at the end of the game per share issued.

But still, I love it.

Even if the mechanics feel clunky at this day and age, the game is still very good.

And congrats on the 3rd edition, at least you waited and bought it at a fraction of the price that I paid for my 1st edition ($140 new and unpunched).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.