Subject: RPG Geek - A View from the Inside rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mb
The open RPGG beta is coming. I can't say when - but you can bet it will happen somewhere between 1 hour from now and 100 hours from now.

As the closed RPGG beta nears an end, I have some random thoughts I want to share here. I was fortunate enough to be in on the beta when it started. But this was far from the beginning. Derk and Aldie had talked about this nearly four years ago. Lots of work was done by Aldie, Daniel and the team to rework some of the lower level code and make it more agreeable to expansion. Derk has been instrumental in finding quality people to help with data content. The beta efforts come at the back end of this important groundwork.

I believe the effort of the entire team to architect and seed the initial data can only be described by a single word: herculean. This effort spanned 50 people - I will not name them for fear of forgetting a single name. I'd say well over 1000 volunteer hours have gone into the RPG Geek and I hope that effort shows brightly when the doors open. I recall a three day stretch when a few heavy uploaders were posting 100+ new entries a day. I talked to Aldie one night at midnight... and when I awoke at 6AM to see what progress had been made he was still awake, typing at his keyboard and fixing issues so the beta team could continue to work efficiently.

I want to thank every beta tester who helped bring us to where we are today. Over 3200 RPG items spanning 1000 games - simply astonishing! I know the next open round of beta will be a resounding success if that new crew is as diligent, cooperative and helpful as you were. I love you guys!

About the only bad aspect so far has been that it's hard to resist all those awesome RPG covers. While looking through the data, I've had to stop and visit ebay to pick up a few new RPG sourcebooks. Oh well - such are the rigors of beta.

I’m so psyched for RPG Geek - "It will blow the dice right out of your pants!"*

--
Dave Bernazzani
RPG Geek Contributor

* Krunk - Fear of Girls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Dave has probably put in 1000 hours himself (and I think he has invented cloning)

A great job Dave.

And a great job everyone else too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty exciting stuff, and a long time coming. I hope the results are everything you were hoping them to be. Over that long period of time perceptions change and being entrenched in all the discussions its easy to lose track of the end result. I hope you take some time to take a breath, step back, and bath in the beauty that will be is RPGG.

Congratz!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes,

Thank you Dave for your leadership and your dedication and hard work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is that it is indeed super cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Forsythe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, the dice were supposed to be in my *pants*. Oops! blush I'm sure I'll find them eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh the RPGG! I can't wait!
kisskisskiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Pauwels
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I entered for the second round of Beta.
Thanks to everyone who already put time and effort in this. This will be grand.

@ Dave: "Krunk is a God!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmb
Yes, Dave. The amount of work you have put in is astounding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
I’m so psyched for RPG Geek - "It will blow the dice right out of your pants!"

Logging on and seeing this thread has dice all over the house!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we all allowed to advertise our non-boardgame-related websites? I have a website selling totally non-fake Rolexes I'd love to plug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mb
chrisjwmartin wrote:
Are we all allowed to advertise our non-boardgame-related websites? I have a website selling totally non-fake Rolexes I'd love to plug.

If the website is Derk and Aldies? Sure. Otherwise no.

Go post this comment over on Aldie's thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/188044

Or Derks:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/422416

Nice going on this. The crew I thank above are BGG regulars - they have volunteered their time and life to help with Derk and Aldie's new Geek concept. I'm proud of their efforts. But after your silly post, how can we not ALL be proud of you.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Hey Chris, maybe you can campaign for the next project to be "FakeRolexGeek"? yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
how can we not ALL be proud of you.

I'm still waiting for the GG tip to express your pride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.