Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere that the Undying rules have changed from the March '09 rulings saying that when and Undying monster comes back, there is no rollover damage. That would mean that the attack is done, they come back at full life with no lingering effects, is that true? OR, is undying the same as it ever was with rollover damage still hurting them (not going through armor again) and lingering effects stay?

Encounter markers say that a hero has to end his movement to activate it, fair enough. Now, can the hero end ONE of his actions on the encounter marker, activate it, and next activate a 'run' action and move his movement points again?

Also, if it is possible for any who answer to possibly link their findings for my players are rules-hounds. I know the undying in the FAQ would prove my first theory wrong so that baffles me if it is true, however I never found anywhere anything about the encounter markers.

Thanks so much everyone, BGG for life!

cheers,
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your players don't admit that "ending" your movement means not taking any more movement, then I doubt there's anything we can do to help you on that.

The reason you couldn't find anything on Undying in the FAQ is that it's the same as it ever was. The thing you describe is the way that Undying works in Road to Legend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Undying:

Base rules, page 23:
Quote:
Undying
When an Undying figure is killed, roll one power die. If a power surge is rolled, the figure is instantly restored to full health (although any leftover damage from the killing blow is then applied to it). An Undying figure must stay dead in order for effects that take place when it is "killed" to actually occur.

Road to Legend rules, page 30:
Quote:
Undying
When an Undying figure is killed, roll one power die. If a power surge is rolled, the figure is instantly restored to full health, and any lingering effects are removed. An Undying figure must stay dead in order for effects that take place when it is "killed" to actually occur.

So yes, your players are confusing the base rules with the Road to Legend rules for Undying.

As for "ending your turn", give me a break. Ending your turn means no more actions or movement. Just say that the hero must be on the encounter marker at the start of the Overlord's turn. And no, I can't find a definition of this in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OnlyHuman wrote:
Encounter markers say that a hero has to end his movement to activate it, fair enough. Now, can the hero end ONE of his actions on the encounter marker, activate it, and next activate a 'run' action and move his movement points again?

I found this question very confusing. I think you got some of the "lingo" wrong.

First, heroes don't "activate" actions. Second, actions aren't things you actually do, they're a single choice you make when your start your hero turn, which determines what you'll be allowed to do.
Say it's your turn. First, you can re-equip your stuff, then, you pick one of the four actions (Run, Battle, Advance, Ready). These actions give you X movement points, and Y number of attacks. You then spend those any way you want, until you declare your turn is over.

Now, back to Encounter markers... They do have this little funky ruling about ending your movement on the marker, not your turn. When Kevin W. was asked about that on the FFG forums (a loooong while ago), he said that, indeed, the sole requirement for the hero is that he's done moving. So you can step over an Encounter marker, say "Alright, I swear I won't move anymore this turn", and have the encounter trigger, before making an attack or spending MPs on a re-equip. You're still bound to your statement, however, and have to remain on that spot.

I've allowed my players to do that since. Haven't run into any issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OnlyHuman wrote:

cheers,
Andy

No.

There isn't a direct quote possible, because your players have so many things wrong on so many levels, but I'll try to explain, with references where possible.

1. A hero only gets one Action. See DJitD pg 8 Step 3, Take an Action.
Actions are Battle, Run, Ready, Advance. Each gives you a combination of an attack, some movement points* and/or an Order.
You seem to be confusing the commonly termed 'half-actions' as Actions, and claiming that ending one half-action ends movement, then you can start another half-action. Well, that's several mistakes, but the first is now covered.
- A single Action, includes everything the hero does after equipping.

*It is abundantly clear, both from other passages in the rules (pg 9 movement for example) and from various clarifications, that you don't actually get to 'move x spaces' as the original rules (pg 8) said, you instead get x movement points (MP, 2x if running). Some spaces cost more to get out of than others (pits for example) - which is meaningless if you can simply move x spaces. Web, prevents you from spending MP, not from moving. It costs MP to do things like open doors, chests, drink potions, pass equipment etc. Your Action is supposed to be a source of MP, not a source of 'spaces moved'.
Combined with a large number of other blatant errors (Hellhound with Aura on pg23 Knockback example, Jaes with Armour 2 on page 11 damage->wounds example, etc etc) it is apparent that the proofreading from earlier pre-release rules copies was not good.
It may be that later rulesets have had some of these errors tidied up. I am working from the pdf copy.

2. Even half-actions don't have 'movement'. (Reread Pg 8 substituting MP instead of movement spaces.) They might provide you with some MP, but you can also gain MP from expending fatigue or from items. Movement points are not associated with any particular part of a heroes Action. They can come from any source (his declared action, his fatigue, his items) and be spent at any time (well, nearly). Ending your movement does not even mean ending spending MP (you could still spend MP to open doors, chests, reequip, etc etc), it means not moving any more spaces on the board.
- Ending movement means not moving any more.
- Moving is not associated with any particular part action, even though this is an easy way to think of it.

3. You declare you Action at the beginning of your turn, after refreshing and equipping (pg 8). You must decide then whether you are Battling, Running, Advancing or Readying (those are the available Actions, Pg 8). You may not take a 'half-action' and then decide what the second 'half action' will be (unless you are Grey Kerr, who's special ability fundamentally does exactly this). So there is no such thing as moving, ending moving, then 'activating a Run' and moving again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garttmeyer
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks alot everyone. We have played the first 4 quests with the heroes taking advantage of that half-action BS so that they could change thier action mid-way.

Thanks a ton for the clarification, I am sure a few more of my monsters will remain alive a bit longer from now on. I thought Undying was fine, now I know where the rule came from (RtL) thanks for the quotes.

MAYBE one day we will play an entire quest without any errors, LOL.

corbon wrote:

*It is abundantly clear, both from other passages in the rules (pg 9 movement for example) and from various clarifications, that you don't actually get to 'move x spaces' as the original rules (pg 8) said, you instead get x movement points (MP, 2x if running). Some spaces cost more to get out of than others (pits for example) - which is meaningless if you can simply move x spaces. Web, prevents you from spending MP, not from moving. It costs MP to do things like open doors, chests, drink potions, pass equipment etc. Your Action is supposed to be a source of MP, not a source of 'spaces moved'.
Combined with a large number of other blatant errors (Hellhound with Aura on pg23 Knockback example, Jaes with Armour 2 on page 11 damage->wounds example, etc etc) it is apparent that the proofreading from earlier pre-release rules copies was not good.
It may be that later rulesets have had some of these errors tidied up. I am working from the pdf copy.

I always understood the MP allocation, that was never a question, plus this whole paragraph is really confusing. Thanks though, you get an E for Effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy D
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
npa > sjf
badge
npa > sjf
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wait, so in the base game, if an undying monster doesn't stay dead, does it still lose effects like stun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
elcomadreja2 wrote:
wait, so in the base game, if an undying monster doesn't stay dead, does it still lose effects like stun?

No, it keeps whatever status it had. (Only Road to Legend removes the status).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.