Popular Tags: [View All]
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three of gathered for a game over lunch. I pulled out Ticket to Ride and, because I thought we migth kick it up a notch, I went for the Big City game. 3 player is already pretty tight, with routes into key cities blocked off quickly. With the Big City as well, it ought to be ... interesting.

I kept all 4 of my tickets. I got a little lucky in some ways, as 3 of them were Chicago and all were east coast. But on the other side, all were relatively short - not a lot of points at stake. As for the other two, JD kept only 2 of his initial draws. TH kept 3.

So we began. My usual mode in this game is to build up a hand and play out over several turns, establish a network then build from there. That was not going to work this time as turn ONE JD claims a route into New York - of course, the one I wanted to connect with Chicago. Well, OK, I am east coast all the way, I can come south first, then branch over to Chicago. Except, TH follows that with the New York-Washington route and suddenly, on Turn 2, I am on Plan C.

Which is what I love about this game.

All three of us got in each other's way quite a lot over the next few turns, as we fought for space on the east coast. I had to come up through Canada and down to make my routes (despite no Canadian tickets), but the network was beginning to come together - plus my New Orleans-Miami connection was growing in my hand. I connected to Nashville and Atlanta and Chicago, pausing to get the connection down to New Orleans. JD built down to Atlanta too, claiming the direct path into Miami (possibly fearing me building it ahead of him) and then building westward. TH had jumped away from the fray in the east and was building out to Las Vegas, but was heard to mutter a curse or two when JD claimed his desired connection into Denver and we was forced north to connect his network to his eastern half.

We pulled more tickets. I went up to 7 in 2 pulls. JD grabbed one more, TH 2 more. I now had to make it to Dallas and Houston, and up to Duluth and Winnipeg. The Texan ones were simple from New Orleans and I grabbed those quickly and without incident, but TH's routes grew into that area of the Canadian border and instead of a straight route Chicago-Duluth-Winnipeg, I was forced to take the longer route - the 6 train route into Winnipeg. That was a race, as JD had gotten the route into Houston via El Paso and had ran down his number of trains left. But with 4 in hand, he pulled tickets again. Then he did it again the following turn. He was up to 7 tickets now, then he slapped down his last few trains. I barely got the red I needed for connection to Duluth. TH had too few trains to complete all he wanted and as his last turn he was forced just to play the longest route he could, since the ticket was not going to be done.

I was ahead at this point (I had 75, TH had 68, JD had 63). But JD had completed all 7 tickets and mine were mostly 5-7 pointers. As it turned out he had 57 points in tickets, I had 53, so I held on, 128-120.

Poor TH had 2 unfinished routes and was cursing himself for using up trains that didn't finish a route, instead of using them for the 6 train connection to Portland. He also lacked a connection to Los Angeles that hurt a lot. I think he got confused about where he needed to get connected - I worked out that he could have played out those tickets (with a little change in what he did with the trains he had) and scored 79 in completed tickets, beating us both.

He promises to bring his A game next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good read! Ive yet to actually play 1910. I bought it just for the bigger cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:
Good read! Ive yet to actually play 1910. I bought it just for the bigger cards

Thanks!

It is worth it just for the bigger cards, but the tickets are improved too. I like the 1910 set of cards especially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.