Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have returned to my quest to play every battle from Axis and Allies on the ToI board. I have struggled with how to move aircraft into ToI. My first inclination was to use cards but they just dont seem worth it for the 10IPC they cost in A&A.

Then I remembered that the Axis and Allies Miniatures introduced little aircraft models.

What if, for every A&A plane, you get one Miniature plane on the ToI board? You would move your planes in during the Action phase and conduct attacks. They could move anywhere on the board but must stop after the attack is made and become fatigued. A plane can be set to "patrol" by placing it in OpFire and would attack other aircraft. Planes shot down in ToI are removed from the A&A board.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your idea. test it and let us know how it goes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the need to merge the games? They are so totaly different in scope. A&A was good for what it was, an over simplified world conquest game but TOI is a fairly meaty tactical chess game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aircraft are in in the form of cards. Look at the scale of the game. It's the only way non-helicopters could be put in unless you had planes that moved at 50 miles per hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cyscott1 wrote:
Why the need to merge the games? They are so totaly different in scope. A&A was good for what it was, an over simplified world conquest game but TOI is a fairly meaty tactical chess game.

Exactly, we want to fight the A&A battles in ToI

My plan is that planes would live off board. For an action they can be flown onto the board and attack but would then be fatigued before leaving the board. This would allow other aircraft and vehicals to attack it. An aircraft could also be placed on patrol by being moved to an area and then placed in Op fire. It would have a certain range around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyscott1 wrote:

Hey, merging games can be fun, and provide more bang for your buck. It doesn't mean you have to permanently play them that way.

I have played using the TOI board and landscape, A&A miniatures and battle rules, and Memoir cards for ordering. It's a blast

I have also used Heroscape terrain with memoir, to make 3D landscape. Looks great.

I have also made complete Memoir layouts out of Heroscape terrain. The terrain is then fixed in 3D with no slippage and the rivers look terrific. Play half a dozen games of each scenario to make it worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
I have played using the TOI board and landscape, A&A miniatures and battle rules, and Memoir cards for ordering. It's a blast

Sounds very interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, that does sound pretty hard core. It would be easier for me to use A&A Miniatures instead of casting a mold for ToI scale tanks that we don't have. I just can't stand the scale differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get it now. I guess you've got alot more free time than I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battletech (at least the old Aerotech) rules) had great rules for having aircraft interact with a small tactical skirmish.

Something that would give you that flavor: Perhaps take an extra TOI board, that represent a much much larger tactical scale and the center hex represents the TOI game board. Now you can have planes fly around that board at a pace of 1 or two squares per turn. If they fly over the center ToI hex they can bomb one target or strafe one 'column' of hexes.

Make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I kind of like that. Would offer some manuvering and stuff. Let the planes live offboard and move two spaces on the small board or three spaces for the faster Zeros. Then, if they enter the center hex they can be placed anywhere on the main ToI board to fight. Once they fight they become fatigued and can not leave until next round. A plane can be placed in Opfire to simulate "Patroling" and can be used to engage other aircraft or ground units.

They could have unlimited moves on the tiny map but be forced to use an action.

:goo:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Come to think of it, is there a good stand alone WW2 air combat game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of them. Wings of War is probably the most accessible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonMegel wrote:
I kind of like that. Would offer some manuvering and stuff. Let the planes live offboard and move two spaces on the small board or three spaces for the faster Zeros. Then, if they enter the center hex they can be placed anywhere on the main ToI board to fight. Once they fight they become fatigued and can not leave until next round. A plane can be placed in Opfire to simulate "Patroling" and can be used to engage other aircraft or ground units.

They could have unlimited moves on the tiny map but be forced to use an action.

goo

It sounds a lot like the air rules I wrote for memoir 44 available here:http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/33561

I first wrote these rules over a year ago and have revised them many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.