Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so eager to try out this lovely little game that I cobbled together the smallest bits I could find from my other games (any guesses?)--I have no wooden cubes here in Korea.

Play was according to Rules v. 1.0:
Players started with 15Y, tax set at 3Y. Harbours and towns were placed on the maps as in the sample picture in rules v 1.0.

Players: Red Randall (aggressive), White Will (cautious), Black Bradley (opportunistic).

We all WAY overspent in year one, with devastating effects. Randall and Brad were broke after year two, when the connection between harbour 4 and the town on South Daitou was severed, making most deliveries impossible. By the time year three was over, the brutal economy had taken its toll.

Final standings
Will: 2Y
Randall: 1Y
Brad: 0Y, and in serious debt to the taxman.

Incredibly tight little economic game, I look forward to playing again soon on my upcoming flights. Though I'm going to have to get better bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the report.

Please note that version 1.0 of the rules had a couple of errors, most importantly in the tax phase (tax for farms is 1 rather than 3 - which makes the economy slightly less harsh, but only slightly).

Your choice of components is rather confusing, I must say. Rather than cutting out the harbors and towns and placing them on the map, you use sets of tokens to represent them it seems. And the cardboard chits are possession markers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct on both counts. I hadn't mounted the map, and didn't want to deal with paper chits, so I just colour-matched tokens.

I'm happy to hear about the farm tax--even though at most there were only 3 or 4 built. It became clear midway through year two that even skirting bankruptcy is dangerous, and that year one is best played very conservatively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
that year one is best played very conservatively.

Yeah, there's a reason for the comments about efficiency at the beginning and end of the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mestemaker
United States
Wheeling
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Please note that version 1.0 of the rules had a couple of errors, most importantly in the tax phase (tax for farms is 1 rather than 3 - which makes the economy slightly less harsh, but only slightly).

I'm really glad to hear this. I just finished printing this and we played it for the first time today. With a tax of 3, we came to the conclusion that farms were useless. With a tax of 1, they might just be useful again.

Does that change the rules about which items are destroyed when I can't pay the tax? The rules say it's my opponent's choice. Farms are clearly less valuable than track; would it make sense for the rules to require the opponents to choose farms first?

Additionally, there seems to be a runaway leader problem with the design. By the end of the first year, a leader was established. We didn't see any good way for the other 2 players to change the situation making years 2 and 3 quite boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
oudknoei wrote:
With a tax of 3, we came to the conclusion that farms were useless. With a tax of 1, they might just be useful again.

Yeah, a tax of 3 wouldn't work indeed. That was a silly mistake. I didn't even use that rule in playtests, by the way. It was just a rather significant mistake in writing the rules from my memory and near unreadable notes...

oudknoei wrote:
Does that change the rules about which items are destroyed when I can't pay the tax?

Yes. The value of what is destroyed equals the tax deficit.

oudknoei wrote:
Additionally, there seems to be a runaway leader problem with the design.

Interesting. That was actually one of the things I was worrying about, but that did not appear in my playtests. In my experience players that did not so well in one year did better in the next and the other way around. Except if you make really bad decisions in the first year, of course -- then you're basically out of the game.

Thanks for your comments and questions. Especially the last one. That is something I need to look into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I subsequent games I found the same thing: lots of catch-up to those players who had taken leads after year one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mestemaker
United States
Wheeling
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Yeah, a tax of 3 wouldn't work indeed. That was a silly mistake. I didn't even use that rule in playtests, by the way. It was just a rather significant mistake in writing the rules from my memory and near unreadable notes...

Can you update the North island board to reflect the lower tax on farms and the variable cost of farms over the years? The current pdf still shows it as $3 for both taxes and farm cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I thought I uploaded a corrected version...
I'll check later this week, as soon as I have time, and make changes if necessary. Thanks for mentioning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oudknoei wrote:
the variable cost of farms over the years?

Wha-? Did I miss this somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Omission in rules v1.0. Fixed in rules v1.1. They get cheaper every year: 3 / 2 / 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.