Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
We have a problem with the rule that says you cannot visit the same city twice with the same train. But in the case of Amsterdam there are two separate unconncted termini. So we assumed that a link could be made from one of the Amsterdam stations to the other - a circular route in other words that went out from one station and into the other.. This is certainly what used to happen in Paris and probably still does for all I know. But later in the game when the tiles are upgraded to the brown ones the two termini are linked togethe, which made us question our original interpretation of the rules (when they were not linked).

Does anybody know the answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
United Kingdom
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amsterdam is treated as two different cities in the yellow and green phases and so a run from one to the other is possible.In the brown phase these merge into one city which prohibits this route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
Quote:
Amsterdam is treated as two different cities in the yellow and green phases and so a run from one to the other is possible.In the brown phase these merge into one city which prohibits this route.

Thanks Simon. That's what we did - but I ended up wondering if we might have been taking advantage of imprecise wording in the rules.

For the sake of the record - and for anyone interested in timing - we were four players with two of the players being new to 18xx games and we took precisely 3 hours. But that was with omitting the Private Companies altogether, which I felt would only add to the confusion fore new players and would also lengthen the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Morris
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
This size viola da gamba is like a cello with frets. I started playing at age 48.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the phase affects Amsterdam only indirectly. The city is treated as two separate stations as long as the tile placed there is yellow or green. Once the brown tile is placed there, Amsterdam may only be visited once in a route. This cannot happen, of course, until Phase 5 (brown). (This comes from Bart's FAQ.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.