Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled this game out a few weeks ago and started a campaign. Neat game. The rules do have a few holes, IMO. It is a solitaire game, so it's no big deal to just decide for yourself how to resolve ambiguities. Nevertheless, I was wondering how folks handle the following questions.

1. If an unspotted unit fires at you, could it then become "hidden" when you search for it the next round and roll a 9 or 10? My ruling is yes - it just moved out of LOS in after firing. At least that "Tiger" or "88" won't be able to shoot at you next time!

2. If firing WP or HCBI to hinder an AT gun, do the To Hit modifiers vs. AT Guns apply. My thoughts are no, since smoke rounds are fired at the zone as "Area Fire" rather than a specific target.

3. For Enemy Action purposes, what constitutes firing at an enemy unit (since if you fire at them, they are MUCH more likely to target you):
- .30-cal or AAMG advancing fire?
- Firing WP or HCBI?
For the latter case, what if you have HE loaded in the gun, but your intention is to fire smoke rounds with subsequent ROF shots to hinder an AT gun. Could the HE round be fired "harmlessly" so as not to incur the ire of that AT gun, followed by smoke rounds (assuming ROF)?

4. Are smoke grenades or SMGs usable by any crew member with an open hatch, or just those in the turret (tank commander or loader - if loader has a hatch). The rules (8.6) lists these as actions for the tank commander and loader only, but the action counters are not marked as such. Me, I'll have the commander toss a smoke grenade occasionally, but using SMG's seems rather cheesy, although I suppose you might use one if the .50 cal is out of ammo. I figure the SMGs were mostly intended for the crew members to grab if they bailed out. I mention this mostly because the VASSAL module for PB gives these as options (smoke grenades, SMGs) to all crew members, not just commander and loader.

5. Clarification: For the Sherman variants that indicate a Loader AAMG mount, ONLY the loader can fire/repair the AAMG, correct? Otherwise, ONLY the tank commander can fire/repair the AAMG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping another gamer would answer these, but I'll give it a try (it's been a while since I've played this game myself):

1. I agree with your ruling on this one. Spotted units cannot become Hidden unless your Sherman moves or they move. The rules say nothing about unspotted units, but your assessment seems logical to me.

2. I also agree with you on this ruling. WP and HCB1 are "Area Fire" only - you wouldn't get any modifiers to hit an area.

3. MG Advancing Fire is considered firing at an enemy unit since an enemy moving into that area is attacked normally and destroying those units counts for VPs toward your tank. It also reduces the possibility of panzerfaust attacks.

As for the 2nd part, you can't get ROF unless you hit the target with your first shot - so you can't deliberately "miss" with an HE round hoping to get ROF with later smoke rounds. If you do hit an AT gun with an HE round and then the smoke rounds on ROF rolls, it will be more difficult for that AT gun to see your tank. And the HE round might kill it anyway.

4. Smoke grenades and SMGs are for turret crewmembers only. Of course, if the crew bails then anyone can use them.

5. Yes - the Commander only or the Loader only can fire/repair their AAMG in the designated positions. These would be in Shermans with the split loader hatches. The AAMG is available on all Sherman variants, in spite of it being shown only on card #1.

Hope these answer your questions - and I hope other people chime in to verify or question my answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply...

Quote:
2. I also agree with you on this ruling. WP and HCB1 are "Area Fire" only - you wouldn't get any modifiers to hit an area.

The ordnance procedures and tables are clearly patterned after ASL, and I think the To Hit DRM vs. AT Guns takes into account target size. If firing HE as Area Fire (useful at long range) vs. an AT Gun, I think the AT Gun target modifier DOES still apply. (in ASL, the target size DRM applies whether you use the Infantry or Area target type) But I don't think those DRM should apply to smoke rounds.

3. Good call on MG Advancing Fire, since I am actually shooting at them after all! Tho I wonder if a tank or SP gun would care.

Quote:
As for the 2nd part, you can't get ROF unless you hit the target with your first shot - so you can't deliberately "miss" with an HE round hoping to get ROF with later smoke rounds. If you do hit an AT gun with an HE round and then the smoke rounds on ROF rolls, it will be more difficult for that AT gun to see your tank. And the HE round might kill it anyway.

Hitting the target isn't required for ROF. And I wasn't thinking necessarily of "missing" with the non-smoke round, just of putting it in a "non-threatening" place. If you fire at an AT Gun, the probability of it shooting back at you then goes from 5% to 40%. Just trying to avoid that - especially if the HE round does no damage and I don't put enough smoke rounds on target. As lethal as those ATGs can be, I wouldn't feel "safe" until I've put several smoke markers in it's zone!

Rationale: Purely in terms of game mechanics, since smoke affects an entire zone, you don't really need to shoot the smoke rounds at the AT Gun. Therefore, the chance of the ATG firing back doesn't increase. So I'm thinking that the first non-smoke round could be fired similarly. But in some ways, it just doesn't feel quite right. A bit "gamey," since in terms of realism, I am taking a direct action against that ATG, which could very well attract it's attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhredder wrote:
2. If firing WP or HCBI to hinder an AT gun, do the To Hit modifiers vs. AT Guns apply. My thoughts are no, since smoke rounds are fired at the zone as "Area Fire" rather than a specific target.

3. For Enemy Action purposes, what constitutes firing at an enemy unit (since if you fire at them, they are MUCH more likely to target you):
- .30-cal or AAMG advancing fire?
- Firing WP or HCBI?

It's been along time since these were posed, but I disagree with the answers to the above two questions ( as stated above ).

2. The Green ( Sherman ) "To Hit Target" Table note 2) specifies which Modifiers do not apply to Area Fire. Fire vs. AT guns is not one of these, so the modifiers listed should be applied.

3. The appropriate notes on each of the Enemy Action Tables here all relate to Fire - Any Tank by Tank / SPG becoming Fire - Your Tank, if you are firing at it's Front. So it's based on the perceived threat to a Tank / SPG by your Tank. Therefore I think it should not include MG fire ( but would include Smoke shots ). The previous answer re Enemy Infantry (IMHO ) does not apply here. ( Infantry units do not have a "Front" persay either ! )

Evidently, if you wish to continue with your original ( agreed ) interpretations feel free to do so. This is just another point of view for you to consider. Apologies it's so late...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.