7 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Most developments goal question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
flag msg tools
1. I place my 4th development and win the Most Devs goal at the end of the turn
2. Next turn I remove a development from my tableau (eg. New Military Tactics, Colony Ship), so I no longer fulfil the requirement of the Most Devs goal

Do I get to keep the goal tile, or does it get returned to the pool? From the rules, it seems the only time you lose a Most goal tile is when another player exceeds your total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8MegsOnly wrote:
1. I place my 4th development and win the Most Devs goal at the end of the turn
2. Next turn I remove a development from my tableau (eg. New Military Tactics, Colony Ship), so I no longer fulfil the requirement of the Most Devs goal

Do I get to keep the goal tile, or does it get returned to the pool? From the rules, it seems the only time you lose a Most goal tile is when another player exceeds your total.
You lose that goal. In order to hold on to the Greatest Infrastructure most goal, the minimum condition must always be satisfied (in addition to having more than any other player). In your example, you no longer have the minimum 4 development cards on your tableau, so you lose that goal.

Similar example of when you get -1 military and go from 6 to 5 military strength for the Greatest Military most goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Ah you are correct. I didn't read the rules carefully enough.

Quote:
Th ey can be lost. Th e fi rst
player to satisfy (or exceed by the greatest amount) a goal’s listed condition at
the end of a phase claims its tile (returning it to the center if he ever fails to
satisfy its condition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We just calculate the Most goals at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you keep it until Develop is picked again. If Develp is never picked again you will keep it until the end of the game. Also if you develop another card during the next develop and once again reach 4+ developments you can keep it assuming no one else also reached or exceeded 4+ developments.

All of the goals list which phases they should be rechecked during.

Also you shouldnt calculate the most goals at the end of the game as timing affects it, if someone got 4 developments and then next turn someone else got 4 developments aswell, it would still be the first player to get 4 developments that gained the points even though both players now have the same amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
This is incorrect. A goal can only be *claimed* at the end of its listed phase(s). It can be lost at any time (if a player ever fails to satisfy its condition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
We just calculate the Most goals at the end of the game.
It does affect gameplay, but still a judgement call your group is free to make. Given how hectic some games can get, it's easier to just check at the end, like with TtR how scoring everything doesn't start till the end. Also like how some people just leave out start worlds when playing multiple 2pa games in succession.

The issue is, doing it your way, there's no way to distinguish if a single player got the most goal first vs if multiple people got it at the same time. It's a 2pt swing, but can be all that's needed in a tight game

Kamakaze wrote:
Actually you keep it until Develop is picked again. If Develp is never picked again you will keep it until the end of the game. Also if you develop another card during the next develop and once again reach 4+ developments you can keep it assuming no one else also reached or exceeded 4+ developments.

All of the goals list which phases they should be rechecked during.

I've asked about this, and it turns out, that's against the "spirit of the most goals". The phases printed on the goals are when you should check to see who claims them. As far as losing them goes, it's checked at the end of each phase.

Anyone else think Greatest Infrastructure should also be checked at the end of Settle Phase?

The post where the designer chimes in on this issue.....
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3069421#3069421

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.