Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That sort of link isn't a violation of BGG site protocol, is it? If so, have an admin let me know and I'll edit it out of the description. It's just that PnP stuff can't be casually shopped for at the local store, and not everyone knows a convenient source to buy them when they're doing it for the first time.

Greg
BTRC games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg,
Since SL is listed as a v1.0, can we expect a later version done with "professional" components or by another company?

Thanks, and best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brafman
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
The linked site wants $10.
Not all print & play games are free, so this shouldn't be all that shocking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
can we expect a later version done with "professional" components or by another company?

I always number the games, since BTRC pdfs have a free upgrade policy. If I come out with a v1.1 version for some reason, everyone who has v1.0 gets the new files for free. soft landing is hopefully tested and polished enough that it won't see v1.1 for a while.

I am in tenative discussion with another company about a conventionally done version (don't hold your breath given the current general economy), but as far as "professional" components go, soft landing has very nice print quality and polish as is. It even has a little PnP box that you can store the game in (upper left of the product picture). The main score track was something like a 400meg eps file and the biggest hassle was getting the print quality as high as possible while keeping the download size manageable (it is a 26 meg download for the whole game). And of course, the download version is US$10, while a regular board game version would probably be US$30.

Greg
BTRC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Deadworld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, 10$ for a game this good is the best bargain since America bought Alaska. For 10$ 3+ people can have an evening of intelligent fun. Movies can't even begin to compete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't complaining; I was just asking. This is the first PnP I've ever looked at, and I guess I just assumed no one would ever charge for a game that the user had to make himself. Reading the rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim, you ought to take a look at a site like RPGnow.com. You'll be surprised at the thousands of games, supplements and such that people are paying to download and print or assemble themselves. It is a noticeable chunk of the industry for rpg materials. Not so much for board games yet, but something like soft landing at US$10 will print off and look as good as any US$30 title that you buy at the store (at least, my copy on glossy heavy card stock does!). Even taking time and materials into account, that's still a significant savings, which is more and more important these days.

And you only ever have to print and assemble it once. Unless you spill a drink on it or wear it out. Which is another advantage of the format, since you can replace worn or damaged components yourself.

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you went to the BTRC site to buy the game you would be directed to the 3rd party downloading sites he uses anyway, so it seems to me that the URL to the exact place you need to go saves effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Deadworld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some major advantages to printing your own stuff. With the BTRC RPG EABA I can and do just print out the combat rules, put them in a thin 3rb and take them to conventions with me, not risking losing an entire expensive rulebook to take it to a convention.

This is a good thing as I can just take a small number of replaceable pages with me, saving bulk and weight to lug around a convention center, and if it gets lost it's easy to replace, as opposed to a hardback, color rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise S
Brazil
flag msg tools
This is an excellent game!!! Great rules, interesting strategy, and excellent components. Congratulations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.