Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

GMT Games» Forums » News

Subject: GMT Credit Card Issue - Please Read if you have a pre-order with GMT. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this message in from GMT in my inbox:

Please Update Your Online Credit Card Information

Ugh! Microsoft strikes again! As you probably know, we encrypt your credit card data, several times, to make sure that your data is always safe online. Well, a recent Windows update done by our service provider apparently modified the encryption key used to decrypt the data for us to read and use for charging. Please don’t worry about your cc info. There was absolutely no security issue here. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. For any card that you entered into our system before July 4, neither we nor anyone else can read the card # (as the encryption key was changed). There is no problem with cc #s entered after July 4.

So we’re asking you guys to please go into your online account in the next day or two and update the credit card # that is listed there (for many of you it will now look like a long string of alphanumerics) with your correct # so that we can charge the games slated to begin charging on Monday, July 13th. If you guys have any questions about this, or would prefer to do this by phone or online chat, please don’t hesitate to contact our office ladies either on our website or at our toll-free number. They’ll be happy to help you get the data re-entered if you’d like some help. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Shipping/Charging Update

Shipping: We are in the midst of shipping the P500 orders of both The Kaiser’s Pirates and Dead of Winter. We hope to finish with all the shipments over the next couple of days. We expect to begin shipping Elusive Victory in mid-late July.

As we noted in the last update, you’ll find below a new tentative production outlook for the remainder of 2009.

Charging: We originally thought we would begin charging for the next three games (August and early September releases), 1805: Sea of Glory, Hellenes, and PQ-17, tomorrow, July 10th. But because of the credit card issue noted abover, we are going to wait until Monday, July 13th, to do the charges, to give everyone time to update their credit card information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
I am always a bit leery when I get an email that asks for any type of personal information. I plan on giving them a phone call tomorrow.

EDIT: I contacted GMT this afternoon just for my own peace of mind. Everything seems legit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is posted on their website as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's legit - I just checked and my old CC number was totally FUBAR'd. I reentered my number, and while I was at it, I ended up adding Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion #5 to my pre-orders! Darn clever marketing trick, I have to say, drawing us back to their website and tempting us to order more games!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondior wrote:
I am always a bit leery when I get an email that asks for any type of personal information. I plan on giving them a phone call tomorrow.

Always a good first reaction. However, they're not asking you to send them your CC info, or even click on a link (typical fraud warning signs). They just want you to log in to your account and update the info. Still, a call never hurts if you want to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.