10 Posts

Skirmish Wars: Advance Tactics» Forums » Variants

Subject: APC fix rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Freemasonman
United States
flag msg tools
APCs can only be used in this game to transport infantry. This wasn't there primary purpose on the console: supplying was. Agreeing that fuel and ammo aren't worth micromanaging, what if APCs could repair? Just like black boats in AWDS, why not allow APCs to heal an adjacent unit 1hp after moving? Otherwise, these units cease to be viable, and will be even less so if when sea and air units come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Air Units will require refueling. In one way or another.
Air Units are the next thing on the agenda. Rules are being formulated, cards and units are being made...

I like the APC repair idea. That will have to go into the "further playtesting is needed" box. If you want to try that out and tell us how it goes, (or anyone else with a set) that would be great (and get your name in the rules as "playtester"!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally had them able to fix units but I never got around to playtesting them that way. I am all for it if somebody wants to playtest it that way and see if it is a workable solution.

*edited for being mostly incoherent babble.*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Freemasonman
United States
flag msg tools
My biggest concern going into it would be the price. At $5 each, they'll get spammed all over the place and quickly break the game. Of course, they have somewhat low armor. Guess we'll see how that goes.

By the way, did you say refueling airplanes? I hope you can get that to work well, because submarines would be insane without fuel. Either way, any idea how soon we'll be playing with these new units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
The air units will be sooner than later. The sea units will be MUCH later than sooner unless somebody wants to take to creating that expansion ruleset on their own, which I have no problem with. I can do the artwork. I don't know if Andrew has been working on anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
I don't know if Andrew has been working on anything.

:cough: :cough: whistle

(scribbles on paper)

Of course I've been working on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, I guess there are two things:

- either APCs would have to be made more expensive - to prevent said spamming on board

- or, my preferred choice, they should remain as they are, as repairing would lenghten the game and slow down conflicts a bit...

As the game flows now it has a brisk pace, reminding everyone of the console game. And in a console game most things happen underneath the hood, so yo just point and click.

Here you would have added micromanagement and a prolonged game.

I vote NO cool

Remember, this is not a Wargamer's wargame, this is a "kid's" wargame of sorts... has to remain quick, fun and entertaining. If you wish to houserule the repairs, feel free to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
APC's have two uses when I play the game. They transport INF across the board quickly and they are good for blocking, such as piling them on a bridge to slow the opposition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Freemasonman
United States
flag msg tools
Joe's right, lengthening the game is not a very desirable outcome. It just seems to me that they will be as useless as recon if t-copters are available, and that they serve no function other than early game as-is.

Blocking bridges? Huh, I typically shell out $2 more and go with a tank.

I could maybe come up with stats for sea units, but they would certainly need some balancing and I can't do artwork. I'd just be happy with air right now, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unknown005 wrote:

Blocking bridges? Huh, I typically shell out $2 more and go with a tank.

Ahh, but tanks don't transport INF. Its the whole package that makes them good as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.