Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Le Havre» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification on starting cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Le_Havre [+] [View All]
Ron Hoppe
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The town always has 3 start cards. But as I understand there can be a varying amount of start cards dependent on the number of players in the game.

Question: In a 2 player long game is the Marketplace a town starting building?

I have assumed it was because it has the word START in the box corresponding to the 2 player icon and the large check mark representing the long game on the backside of the card. If not could I please get a clarification? Thank you
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
It is a starter for the SHORT game. Dark at the top is Long, Start in the bottom is short.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ONLY the Short Game has more than 3 start buildings.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
ONLY the Short Game has more than 3 start buildings.


3 start buildings as in the three default town buildings, or the three town buildings plus three additional buildings with the word start on the cards.

I just played my first solo yesterday, and the whole start thing was a little confusing. The rules say anything that doesn't have a check but a "start" instead are used, but I had a card that had both a check AND a "start". Was I supposed to use that as a town building also?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three default start buildings that only say "start" on their back. These are numbered B1, B2 and B3, and are commonly known as the Building and Construction Firms.

These three are the only start buildings in long games.

In short games, some of the standard buildings become start buildings. These have the word "start" on their back in the box for the proper number of players. They are start buildings in short games only.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kelly
United States
Fairfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
I trust that you know what you are saying, but my group had this arguement just last week.

Is there an official ruling on this or is it somewhere in the rules? We combed through the rules and didn't see anything about this. And since there are no cards with the dark colored "start" on them, we have nothing to differentiate between. Please let us know what the deal is and how you know this is right. Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no start buildings for long games, thus, no cards with a fully colored "start" on them. You can't find something that isn't there. So, don't try to search for something that isn't there. The rules are clear on that matter: for short games, consult the semi-colored numbers/text on the cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dk1510 wrote:
I trust that you know what you are saying, but my group had this arguement just last week.

Is there an official ruling on this or is it somewhere in the rules? We combed through the rules and didn't see anything about this. And since there are no cards with the dark colored "start" on them, we have nothing to differentiate between. Please let us know what the deal is and how you know this is right. Thanks!


Ponton is correct. The rules aren’t incredibly obvious about it, but they do back him up. Look on the pages that show the setup. They talk about referencing the “small, light-colored ticks” and the “large dark ones” to identify buildings used in the short and long versions of the game respectively (page 2). They also say that if the card says “start” where the tick should be then it is a starting building (page 3). Only small, light-colored ticks are replaced with the word “start”, so only in short games are there additional starting buildings. It would have avoided MUCH confusion if the rules had simply said as much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sullivan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh wow, we've always played with the Marketplace as a starting building in the 2-player game. How exactly do we know again that it isn't supposed to be a starting building?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly as Grant said, you look at the dark ticks if playing a long game, and the light ticks if playing a short game.

There would have to be a "start" where the dark tick was supposed to be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
dk1510 wrote:
I trust that you know what you are saying, but my group had this arguement just last week.

Is there an official ruling on this or is it somewhere in the rules? We combed through the rules and didn't see anything about this. And since there are no cards with the dark colored "start" on them, we have nothing to differentiate between. Please let us know what the deal is and how you know this is right. Thanks!


Ponton is correct. The rules aren’t incredibly obvious about it, but they do back him up. Look on the pages that show the setup. They talk about referencing the “small, light-colored ticks” and the “large dark ones” to identify buildings used in the short and long versions of the game respectively (page 2). They also say that if the card says “start” where the tick should be then it is a starting building (page 3). Only small, light-colored ticks are replaced with the word “start”, so only in short games are there additional starting buildings. It would have avoided MUCH confusion if the rules had simply said as much.


Yup, played solo for the first time today and, of course, I played it wrong because of unclear explanation in the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Marandola
Canada
Mirabel
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So does this mean the marketplace is not in a 2-player game at all played my first game yesterday and we did the same mistake.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Morrison wrote:
So does this mean the marketplace is not in a 2-player game at all played my first game yesterday and we did the same mistake.


It has a checkmark in the 2 player long game spot, so it's in the piles for a long game.
It has START in the 2 player short game spot, so it's already in the town for a short game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Marandola
Canada
Mirabel
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll Have to check when I get home but I don't think mine as a check on the 2 player game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Morrison wrote:
I'll Have to check when I get home but I don't think mine as a check on the 2 player game.

If it doesn't, please post a pic. That would be a misprint I haven't heard of before.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Marandola
Canada
Mirabel
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a short game and my card is ok I most of seen it wrong at first.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.