Dylan Kirk
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm making a space combat card game that appears to use reasonably unique mechanics. In trying to make this game come together, I've done a bit of research that I hope will help anyone else out who's looking at making a space or naval combat game (more specifically one with cards, but not necessarily all the examples below have cards).

By way of introduction, my as of yet unnamed game is one that tries to abstract out speed, range, bearing, profile, and arc and emphasize fleet organization and the relative defencive and offencive qualities of individual ships in a fleet. It's based on the concept of "jumping" or folding space, where fleets will be deployed where they are needed (and in overwhelming force) instantaneously by way of a jumpgate. The goal of many battles will simply be to defend the jumpgate you came in on, as it's your only short-term ticket out of there if things get hairy. I have a prototype deck complete and I can drop you one or two teaser shots of the first-generation prototype cards. Currently I'm awaiting the arrival of proto decks from Artscow.

(They aren't pretty, but they'll do for now)

To begin with, a great resource has been Starship Combat News, which seems to be very much geared at tabletop minis, but certainly is "all things space combat".

I have found the following review that has somewhat acted as a guiding light:
Still waiting for the ultimate card driven space combat game

And there are other geeklists that may help you on your quest:
The Best Space Games
Best FREE Naval Card Game?
CardSpace: the final frontier
Starship Combat Card Games
Small Footprint Spaceship Games

The granddaddy of many tabletop space (and of course naval) card-driven wargames appears to be Naval War and its ilk:
Naval War, which is part of a series of card-driven naval combat games also comprising Modern Naval Battles, Naval Battles, and Modern Naval Battles - Global Warfare.
Clearly this series is worth some study.

I took a look at other space-themed games to get a deeper idea of the situation of the space combat game market. Here are a few:
Dying Lights is more of a strategic level game.
Flagship: Promethius Unchained relies on position in the fleet in "rows" for use of weapons. This is the Naval War model.
Star Fleet Battle Force is same as the above, three lines of cards: forward, rear, and reserve.
Starship Command seems like it is mainly interested in starship modification and special moves than straight guns and missiles. There is also Starship Command II, and both have ratings over 7.
Mag Blast, Mag Blast 2, and Mag Blast 3 all are purely card based and card driven, and seem to be industry standard for this genre.
Fleetattack looks neat, but what caught my eye was that ships in a given rank can protect other ships based on mass difference! I have tried and failed to find more, better information online... seems the publisher is defunct, or their website is.
Galactic Expanse and Star Force Terra apparently both also use a system of combat that comes out of high seas naval combat. GE uses die rather than card activation.
Star Commander appears more about fleet building and strategic level decisions.
Galaxy: The Dark Ages is reported to be abstract, but Mr. Knizia designed it, and it therefore deserves attention.
Starships is apparently like Star Commander.
Alpha Strike has a great deal of power management.
Star Force Terra #1: Contact! Thanks to DarrellKH for this one, appears to be a Naval War family game given the use of lines of combatants to engage.

And there you have it. If there is any more information or commentary to add, please feel free to comment and I can add it to the main post. Hope you find this useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention Verssen's Modern Naval Battles, yet you apparently missed out on his card-based, starship fleet combat game, Star Force Terra #1: Contact!.

Which your game reminds me of, more than anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Kirk
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, added!

Actually Star Force Terra #1: Contact! bears more resemblance to Naval War than my game... in my game there are no lines and no real formation based restrictions on fire. The only restrictions on fire come from manoeuvre cards and relationships between ships in the fleet.

Just a small example: Aegis cruisers give all ships around them a bonus to anti-ordnance fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keith
United States
Umatilla
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
dnjkirk wrote:
Thanks, added!

Actually Star Force Terra #1: Contact! bears more resemblance to Naval War than my game... in my game there are no lines and no real formation based restrictions on fire. The only restrictions on fire come from manoeuvre cards and relationships between ships in the fleet.

Just a small example: Aegis cruisers give all ships around them a bonus to anti-ordnance fire.

Aegis Cruisers, not naval game.... soooo confusing!
If your trying to make the feel separate between a wet water navy and a vacuum navy I suggest using original terms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Kirk
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dirg wrote:
Aegis Cruisers, not naval game.... soooo confusing!
If your trying to make the feel separate between a wet water navy and a vacuum navy I suggest using original terms

Valid point, I haven't even gotten around to naming the game yet, so ships names may change!

However, if I wanted to argue semantics, I'd say that the word frigate (in the form of fregata) has been used for over 500 years for differing reasons throughout history, and now designates a loose size class of surface combatant. The destroyer, however, comes from the turn of the last century from the full name of "Torpedo Boat Destroyer", and itself has become a larger size class than the frigate in modern parlance. The cruiser, in Nelson's day, designated a role and not a ship class, ships being detached from the main fleet for the purposes of raiding being called "cruisers" generally. So, in the end, I can easily see the concept of dedicated missile defence ships still being called Aegis Cruisers in space... the terminology is both persistent and plastic at the same time.

edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keith
United States
Umatilla
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis cool

Aegis (ACS) is the combined weapons system designed by Lockheed and Martin itself not the ship type Aegis systems are deployed currently on Destroyers and Cruisers. In use by 5 countries soon to be 6. The anti missile system(AAW) is just a part of the whole combined weapons package Aegis is.

I only tease though your game sounds interesting and I appreciate the information as I have a space combat game in the works and seeing various card combat systems is giving me ideas for my own board game mechanics to enrich things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Kirk
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Perhaps when I actually have rules written we can cross-playtest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Ferguson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's a really unique one you might want to look at:
http://fscg.hard-light.net/index-v.html

It's based on FreeSpace: The Great War. The first pack concentrates on the Terran-Vasudan war, with more on the way covering The Great War, the Neo-Terran rebellion, and the Second Shivan Incursion. I haven't actually played the game myself yet, but the cards are very well designed and the rules seem to be fairly solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.