Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to decide.
First I tried to get some info through a geeklist. Only 2 fellow BGGers responded to my question. I then posted in the 'recommendations' forum, but to no avail.

So now I turn to the grognard corner of the Geek, perhaps the place I should've started:

Would you leave a comment on this Geeklist, I summed up the 5 EF games I'm considering and would really appreciate some sensible comments about which one to buy or which one to avoid. And comments about the mechanics they use, their (real) playtime (not the listed one), their complexity, etc.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44008

Thanks!!
Matthijs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this out from last week. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3647309#3647309
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted in the same link Bill shared, but one of my favorites:

Things I like about the game: logistics, command/control, fog of war, and a fairly easy combat system (especially if you enjoy using die).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, but I'm not looking for a Geeklist (or thread) with a zillion Eastfront games (without further comments), I'm looking for comparisons between the five games I listed.

Even more than: "This is a good game" I'm looking for: "game 1 is IMO better than game 3 on this list because..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you go to the games in question page and check out reviews, sessions , and comments. I almost always do this when considering buying a game. I'm pretty sure you will find the information you are looking for if you do a little research here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
1941 is one of the best of less complexity and fast playing time they are all good games but panzerkrieg might have some rules problem but is still a fun game with an east front feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Why don't you go to the games in question page and check out reviews, sessions , and comments. I almost always do this when considering buying a game. I'm pretty sure you will find the information you are looking for if you do a little research here.
I already went there; that's were I started.

If you're looking for specific info, there isn't pretty much there about these 5. Basically everything I found on the 5 games pages (their review info, stats etc) I've listed on that Geeklist. I'm sure the 'weight game by voting' isn't showing the 'proper weight' with so few voters, there's hardly any mention about which mechanics in the games are used etc.

That's why I hoped to meet a few people who have experience with at least two of the mentioned five, so they can give their opinion about how they compare on one hand, and how the gameswork on the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Hello Kael,

Out of those in your list, I have played two and can give you my thoughts. Please keep in mind that I am not a WWII East Front “buff”/gamer so this is more from a game-play take and basic opinion. I’m sure there are a lot of other guys who can give you a better read. So, here we go...

Panzergruppe Guderian: Is an interesting game and still widely followed. What dominates it is the situation, and the variable/hidden unit strengths of the un-tried units. However, despite that, I found it to be a tad deterministic at times and although the unit strengths had some surprises, once you get over that mechanic, it sort of plays out similarly over a number of games. It is rather balanced and the rules are not complex. Overall, not a bad game, however I think somehow I just didn’t take to it.

PanzerKrieg: This is a scenario based game and the scenarios are rather different. Simply put, I think this is a great “panzer-pusher” with rather accessible rules. Among the things I enjoyed about this game was the asset allocation from the HQs and how the defender can deploy assets to the front-line before combat. This leads to a lot of tension and due to the fact that what is in those HQs is unknown, there is additional fog-of-war. It also has air assets and leaders, and the rules dealing with them are not complicated. A buddy of mine and I played the AH version of this game a lot. Yes, the map hexes could have been a bit larger, but it is not that bad. I think the Cosi version had a larger map, and the AH version had better counters and was a bit more refined. Overall, we had a lot of fun with it and it does have a great selection of scenarios (some more balanced than others), so I think you will get a lot of replay value for one game. If you go to Consim, we posted a number of play-reports there a while back.

If you are interested in the Ukraine, I would also suggest Ukraine 43 by GMT.

-Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having serious blast with GMT East Front Series, currently playing Kiev to Rostov. It seems to have all I need...except I would have Army Group South, hopefully GMT will re-print it again at some point. Rules are very easy to read, great production quality excellent play aids. Very attractive maps, counter graphics. I have considered OCS from MMP just but since I had Road to Leningrad I have to say it was easy for me to make a choice to go with GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.