Sturm Europa!» Forums » General

Subject: Western front rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So far all the pictures I've seen have been of the Eastern front (post 1941). It seems the Western front ( both pre and post 1941) have also been included in the game judging by the information I've come across. Do you also have some pictures of that part of the map? ( e.g. set up before Fall Gelb, Normandy invasion etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
More pictures and some other updates?............I'm dying for info on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i believe most of the pictures are from early playtesting, and they used the east front to test the movement and combat rules, so they created a playtest map for that first. But yeah, i want to preorder now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
i believe most of the pictures are from early playtesting, and they used the east front to test the movement and combat rules, so they created a playtest map for that first. But yeah, i want to preorder now!

That is very accurate. I'll post a more recent playtest map that has the Western Front in a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
Bridger wrote:

That is very accurate. I'll post a more recent playtest map that has the Western Front in a few days.

Are the two intended to be played together (that is, both maps on the table) or do you only play on one map at a time and then you deal with certain effects taking place on the other (virtually)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game will only have one map (though it may be printed in two pieces) afaik. Think the Europe engulfed map. It looks roughly similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
m3tan wrote:
Bridger wrote:

Are the two intended to be played together (that is, both maps on the table) or do you only play on one map at a time and then you deal with certain effects taking place on the other (virtually)?

Both maps will be intended to played together for the 3-player or campaign game. There are shorter two player scenarios designed to be played on only the Eastern Front or the Westerm Front map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
So far all the pictures I've seen have been of the Eastern front (post 1941). It seems the Western front ( both pre and post 1941) have also been included in the game judging by the information I've come across. Do you also have some pictures of that part of the map? ( e.g. set up before Fall Gelb, Normandy invasion etc.)

Here's a preview of the Western Front map. Please note this is a PLAYTEST map and the final map will be much nicer. The yellow, white, and black sqaures represent manpower, steel, oil, and capital. The x2 are mountain territories. The blue borders indicate rivers.

We just did a playtest Saturday starting in 39. I should have taken pics of Fall Gelb but I forgot. The map is designed to allow for a somewhat historical pattern of events. Germany should blitz into Belgium in their initial attack. Meanwhile they should tie up the French forces fortified behind the Maginot line in Metz with a unsupoorted offensive (feint). The Allied player then has two choices: sit back and wait for the Germans or counterattack into Belgium. If they sit back they are in a tough position because they must split their forces across three territories (Calais, Ardennes, and Metz) while the Germans can concentrate everything into Belgium. If they counterattack, the Germans can usually blitz the next action round and breakthrough to Ardennes or Calais while the bulk of the Allied forces remain tied up in Belgium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So michael, i don't see any differences on the coasts (except for ports). Does this mean that all territories are amphibiously invade-able? This is quite a bit different from EE (I'm not criticizing, we often thought it was odd that there were so many places in EE that couldn't be invaded). I'd love to hear your thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
So michael, i don't see any differences on the coasts (except for ports). Does this mean that all territories are amphibiously invade-able? This is quite a bit different from EE (I'm not criticizing, we often thought it was odd that there were so many places in EE that couldn't be invaded). I'd love to hear your thoughts :)

Well, most of the territories, if not practically all, that have been dubbed " uninvadable" in EE are so for good reason: Either the coast is mountainous or marshy and/or the hinterland is completely unsuitable for quick breakthroughs and would therefore give the defender plenty of time to set up a concentrated defense there (e.g. Holland because of its many waterways and rivers). As for North Africa; I suppose you could amphibiously assault in many places, but the problem would then be supplies: if you don't also possess a port in that region the invading troops are bound to be cut off from supplies and will therefore easily be dealt with by the enemy. So there is some logic behind the choices they made in EE. Correct me if I'm wrong.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an area that definitely still needs tweaking. Right now landings may occur on any territory except desert terrain but that is likely going to change and become more restrictive. I don't want to blackout as many regions as EE but at the same time the opposite extreme is no good either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
That's an area that definitely still needs tweaking. Right now landings may occur on any territory except desert terrain but that is likely going to change and become more restrictive. I don't want to blackout as many regions as EE but at the same time the opposite extreme is no good either.

Remember that EE limits invasions to infantry units, and by the number that can invade on a given turn (plus the expenditure of a special action.)

Some of the other commenters have a good point about how and why EE limits invasions. You've got a few other tools to keep them under control. First and foremost is the need to use amphibious units, which will help keep the Western Allies from jumping all over Europe's western seaboard.

Then you've got your action and exploitation system, which you can use to your advantage to keep a bunch of landings from going in all over the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there are a lot of restrictions that are not explicitly geographical. U-boats (and commerce raiders or air units assigned to convoy boxes) damage not only production but strat moves. Each strat move "hit" in the North Sea box means the Allies have to spend an additional Ops to perform each strat move. It's almost impossible to land in France until the U-boats are cleared away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the picture of the westfront. Will it be one map with both theatres or will it be 2 seperate maps that can be set up adjecent to eachother?

I really look forward to buy this game, as I read throughout the forums it is a bit more playable, because the extra rules are on cards that are used, then EE (which I also own).

Hope this one will be available in Essen, Europe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.