Popular Tags: [View All]
Fraser
Canada
Cranbrook
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone through the FAQ and the forums and am still not quite clear. If Alchemist's Fire is played does it destroy all the Boggens tokens that are remaining or just those that are currently engaged? In the rules Engaged is defined as having an attack card, other than a rider, on the creature in question. Are all Boggens tokens considered engaged or just those that have already had an attack card played against them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I tag on to this with:

Does the chief Boggens become engaged as soon as someone kills their last token or do they have to have played an attack card on it first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the creator:

Okay, that's a fair question. I can see the grey area.
Here is the intent of the Encounter...

The Chieftain sits back and sends all his minions to attack. The minions have engaged you - you are attacking them and they are all attacking you. (The Chief does not attack you)

When you have cleared a path to the Chief by removing all your tokens - and close the distance to strike at him (characters always swing first) then you are engaged with the Chief. But yes, you have to have at least try and swing at the Chief before he is considered engaged. It doesn't matter if that attempt is successful or not.

Hope that clears it up.
-Curt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
more spam
msg tools
mb
Hi,

had this come up today, just one more question about this situation

I assume all Boogans (yours and other players) on the table are killed when one player plays Alchemist's Fire.

The card reads "all monster(s) engaged by the party", is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco D
msg tools
in the glossary it says "a player is engaged with a creature when they have played an attack card on the creature in question"

the alchemist fire says "30 damage to all creatures engaged by the party"

so does that mean that only the boogens tokens with attack cards under them get hit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Wolf
msg tools
EvilTwinZombie wrote:
in the glossary it says "a player is engaged with a creature when they have played an attack card on the creature in question"

the alchemist fire says "30 damage to all creatures engaged by the party"

so does that mean that only the boogens tokens with attack cards under them get hit?

You are already engaged with the minions since they are attacking you. The Chieftain is the one who's waiting and not engaged yet. The Alchemist Fire hits all of the Boogens tokens in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
Canada
MB
flag msg tools
The wording on the card is kind of unclear. It says something to the effect that once you have killed your last Boogen, you may engage and attack the Chieftain.

So, if I attack the Boogens using Alchemists Fire (AF) which basically kills all of the little dudes, does that mean I get an immediate attack on the chieftain?

In other words, Do I have to wait for my next turn and get burnt on the prestige because another player kills him after my AF clears the way for them? or can I immediately play another attack card and kill the Chieftain, getting the prestige for myself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the "all creatures engaged by the party" text in the revised version? I could have sworn my card simply said "30 damage to the creature(s) and 10 to all other players," so I just killed the Boogenses in front of me and then went after the leader with my set card (the card said "play on your turn," but did not specify whether I should play it before or after revealing my attack card...I chose to do it before). If it killed ALL the little guys, and I had to do it AFTER my regular attack, the seems like a far less desirable situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erick lee
Canada
flag msg tools
DRS_MB007 wrote:
The wording on the card is kind of unclear. It says something to the effect that once you have killed your last Boogen, you may engage and attack the Chieftain.

So, if I attack the Boogens using Alchemists Fire (AF) which basically kills all of the little dudes, does that mean I get an immediate attack on the chieftain?

In other words, Do I have to wait for my next turn and get burnt on the prestige because another player kills him after my AF clears the way for them? or can I immediately play another attack card and kill the Chieftain, getting the prestige for myself?

Did you already play your set card? It depends on how and when you got the Alchemist's Fire. If your card you set that round was a Stab N Grab, and you grabbed the AF, and used it immediately, yes you would have to wait for the next round's SET phase where everyone gets to SET a new card. In other words you don't get a free SET phase and it really wouldn't make sense that you would. Only special cards like double strike and opportunity strike allow additional 'sets', and they specifically instruct the players when to do so and exactly how to handle the situation with extensive and precise wording. This wording does not exist on the Boogens so therefore you have to assume the game follows the normal rules as per a normal combat round of one set per player.

A good tactic would have just been to not use the Alchemist's Fire until the next round. Otherwise yes you are just clearing the path for others.

If there is still a dispute then you should defer the ruling to the person who owns the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.