Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some clarification on "perpetual student" card please. Not sure how to play it because of the wording. After playing that card and then your enxt occ. does the player you choose pull a random card from your occupations, your min. improvements, or both?

Per the card you get three food before you play an occupation. So how could you ever be "short" to play another occupation someone picks when at most it would cost you two more food? I'm not sure the intention of this card and any clarification would help. Thanks everyone.

Agricola FTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Some clarification on "perpetual student" card please. Not sure how to play it because of the wording. After playing that card and then your enxt occ. does the player you choose pull a random card from your occupations, your min. improvements, or both?

Per the card you get three food before you play an occupation. So how could you ever be "short" to play another occupation someone picks when at most it would cost you two more food? I'm not sure the intention of this card and any clarification would help. Thanks everyone.

Agricola FTW.

From your occupations only! The Chief costs three extra food to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah i forgot about ole mister Chief. Thanks for the advice. The game it was played in we couldnt decide so we ended up removing it and that player drew a substitute occ. It was so confusing at the time!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's pretty simple. Get 3 food, play a random occupation. There's also the Lover who costs I think 4 food, who could cause some problems with the Perpetual Student.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Levy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(A little different scenario, different than the OP's question)

I do believe that, when placing a worker on the occupation action space to play the 2nd and following occupations, the player using the "Perpetual Student" perk must pay the 1(or 2, depending on which action space is used) required food BEFORE receiving the 3 food that the Perpetual Student allows. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We had this happen in our last game, and we came to the conclusion that the player had to kill a sheep in order to get the food to pay the "entry cost" of playing the occupation. She then received the 3 food, and finally the random occupation was chosen.

1. Pay the 1 food for using the 'Occupation' action space
2. Gain 3 food
3. Draw a random card(and pay for the cost of the card, if applicable.. i.e. the Lover)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the card says you receive the food before you pay the costs, since you dont technically pay the cost until the occupation is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Levy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the "costs" were referring to the randomly drawn occupation....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the "cost" to play the drawn occupation would be the one or two food (depending on which space is chosen) and any additional amount included on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how the Perpetual Student works:

You place your peep on an occupation spot and immediately take 3 food. You hold out your OCCUPATIONS ONLY, and have someone randomly pick one. Then you pay the cost of the occupation space you've chosen which is either 1 or 2 food.

If the card drawn is Lover (costs an additional 4f) or the Chief (an additional 2f), that cost must be payed, too.

So, if you took the 1 food occupation spot and someone randomly drew the Lover from your hand, it would look like this:
Place on occupation spot, get 3f -> Draw Lover, pay 1 food + 4food for 5food total. You would use the 3f from the Perpetual Student and 2f from your supply to pay for the card. If you didn't have 2f then you would have to take 2 begging cards to pay for the occupation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only play 1 occupation per turn, even if you have the Perpetual Student.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
It's easy to find loopholes in rules you make up yourself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Chambers
msg tools
pijll wrote:
You can only play 1 occupation per turn, even if you have the Perpetual Student.

What?

Are you saying the Perpetual Student can only be used once a round, or that you cannot use the Writing Desk with the Perpetual Student, there is a rule in the game preventing a player from dropping two peeps on two occupation actions during a round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Chambers wrote:
Are you saying the Perpetual Student can only be used once a round, or that you cannot use the Writing Desk with the Perpetual Student, there is a rule in the game preventing a player from dropping two peeps on two occupation actions during a round?

You're right, my remark was incomplete.

"You can only play 1 occupation per turn, unless you have a card (e.g. the Writing Desk or Golem) that allows this, but the Perpetual Student is not such a card."

(My post was a reaction to someone claiming that you should pay the costs of the occupation before using the PS, because else you could just play all 6 cards in your hand in one turn, which costs just 6 food and gives you 18 food back. Or something like that. That post has been deleted now.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:

Don't you mean 'per action'? There's more than one action space to buy occs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senseless wrote:

What is the difference (ignoring occs like the Waltzer)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
pijll wrote:
senseless wrote:

What is the difference (ignoring occs like the Waltzer)?

Yeah, don't confuse "turn" with "round." While a "turn" isn't quite the same as an "action," it generally means placing one peep on one space and taking the action(s) available there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad; in spanish it's the other way around blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.