Subject: LRB5 + Experimental Changes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Mason
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My league has decided to apply the recent experimental rules update to LRB5. For anyone out of the loop, these are the proposed rule changes which will become LRB6 but are released ahead of time for player input.
We've found a few things that need clarification:

Diving Tackle: In the basic LRB5, it states that using the Diving Tackle skill used when a player dodges out of the affected tackle zone, the Diving Tackle penalty is still applied if the dodge is re-rolled. This statement appears to have been removed in the experimental rules. This would severely weaken the Diving Tackle skill as the re-rolled dodge is at normal risk; Is there a rule or explanation elsewhere that says that the skill penalty is still applied after an attempt is re-rolled?

Completions and Diving Catch: The completion SPP condition has been reworded to remove the word 'intended' for a more game appropriate explanation of the 'target' square. So, if the thrower targets a square next to a player with diving catch, the catcher can catch the ball in their own cell, which is NOT the target square. Is this still a completion by the rules?

Also, does anyone know how to find the Blood Bowl Rules Committee to give them such feedback?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can we find the experimental changes?

-glam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be a link here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can use the forum at www.talkbloodbowl.com to contact the rules committee. They are really dedicated folks and need excatly this kind of feedback. You will even find a category called LRB6.0 Exeperimental Rules Feedback there. This is where lots of players post their comments on the next (and probably final) version of the BB rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diving Tackle
IMHO if DT modified the original roll it applies also to re-roll.
It's an exception that some additional modifier can be applied after an original roll has been made.

Completions and Diving Catch
The definition is:
Quote:
Completions (COMP): A player who makes an accurate pass that is caught by a receiver from his own team in the targeted square of the pass when the ball comes to rest earns 1 Star Player point. This is called a completion.

So a square is nominated and it doesn't matter which player of the thrower's own team will catch the ball on the nominated square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronlokk wrote:
You can use the forum at www.talkbloodbowl.com to contact the rules committee. They are really dedicated folks and need excatly this kind of feedback. You will even find a category called LRB6.0 Exeperimental Rules Feedback there. This is where lots of players post their comments on the next (and probably final) version of the BB rules.

Ah thanks, I tried going over there but can't see the topics until I register. Will do so tonight.

macike wrote:

Completions and Diving Catch
The definition is:
Quote:
Completions (COMP): A player who makes an accurate pass that is caught by a receiver from his own team in the targeted square of the pass when the ball comes to rest earns 1 Star Player point. This is called a completion.

So a square is nominated and it doesn't matter which player of the thrower's own team will catch the ball on the nominated square.

Right, but if the targeted square is (to use chess or battleship) B6 and the player on the same team with Diving Catch is in B7, the player will catch the ball and remain in B7, which is not the targeted square of B6. Am I doing Diving Catch wrong or do we consider the square that the ball was 'caught from'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
napking wrote:
Right, but if the targeted square is (to use chess or battleship) B6 and the player on the same team with Diving Catch is in B7, the player will catch the ball and remain in B7, which is not the targeted square of B6. Am I doing Diving Catch wrong or do we consider the square that the ball was 'caught from'?

I'm sure we agree that a player from thrower's own team catches the ball in that example. The question is: was the ball received in B7 or B6? Assumption: throw is accurate and the ball reaches B6.
IMNSHO the answer is easy: B6 (as the ball never reached B7 before being received although it ends up in B7 after being caught). So YES it is a completion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it should be a completion. It's just that the word smith in me (however small he might be) wants to find some explanation for that situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...I don't know about that. I thought diving catch would count in the square you end up in. Maybe I am wrong though. Why would you target an empty square though, unless you are trying to avoid an interception, or you can't reach the catcher. Actually the more I think about it, it probably would count as a completion. I never thought about using this because I don't use diving catch that much, but it makes sence.

So, I change my mind, I do think it should be a completion and you should be rewarded for superior tactics .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Welc
Poland
Wrocław (Vratislavia)
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyGoose wrote:
Why would you target an empty square though, unless you are trying to avoid an interception, or you can't reach the catcher.

One may also want to put the ball beyond a reach of an opponent.
Furthermore the targeted square [because of positive modifier for a thrower] may be in opponents' tackle zones while diving catcher may try to avoid these negative modifiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tackle Zones (in LRB5) and Disturbing Presence will still affect someone with Diving Catch no matter where they catch the ball because it is TZ on the catcher and DP says if within 3 squares of player trying to catch. I agree if the pass is accurate SPP should be added and that you could throw to a shorter range band or avoid an interceptor by throwing to an empty square and catching with DC. I am going to see if it works on the video game, what a cool idea :).

Edit: After reading the experimental changes I disagree with my original assessment about receiving SPP (see below).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules and to me it sounds like a completion is if they catch the ball in the square it was thrown to (targeted square). A player with Diving Catch does not catch the ball in the square in which it was thrown to, he catches it in his square (and if that is next to the target square, no completion). I think they need to be more clear in their wording though.

For me it should say: A player who makes an accurate pass that is caught by a player from his own team standing in the square targeted by the pass earns one SPP. This is called a completion.

Ball coming to rest means nothing because if it bounces or is not caught completion doesn't figure into it. I think the wording was changed to stop diving catches from being completions. I am going to throw to square X so that my diving catcher can catch it, since he is the intended receiver (even though I am not throwing to his square) I get a SPP. Now it is very clear that a diving catch does not happen in the targeted square but in the receiver's square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.