Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Total
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Loss Cubes are not distinguished between previously acquired and newly acquired. Any can be discarded, not just new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Gravel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Loss Cubes are not distinguished between previously acquired and newly acquired. Any can be discarded, not just new ones.

One could argue that point. On page 12 of the new Mayfair version rules, it talks about taking loss cubes. After the basic discussion it says:
Quote:
If you selected Sloan, discard half the loss cubes you take (rounding up).

At first glance it might seem "the loss cubes you take" means "newly acquired". However, the sentence immediately following reads: "E.g., if you had 9 loss cubes you would discard 5 of them, leaving you with 4." It's hard to imagine accumulating 9 loss cubes in one turn.

Furthermore, the descriptions of Sloan's benefits on pages 5 and 16 read, respectively: "Discard half, rounded up, of the loss cubes you have during phase 8..." and "During phase 8 discard half, rounded up, of the loss cubes you have..." (emphasis mine).

On balance, then, it appears that half of the total is the right call.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
loosegravel wrote:
It's hard to imagine accumulating 9 loss cubes in one turn.

Not so hard. I don't think I've seen 9, but I may. I have lost 7. It happens when I realize have overproduced, and then take more salesmen than I can use.

But the correct rule is half the loss cubes you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.