Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Semi Finals saw the last Four of Fantasy GeekBall's star teams fighting for money and glory. These high quality teams are all in the money now having left 44 teams in their wake:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/44051

The Pyongyang Floppy Missiles 5-2 The Clemson Vagrants

The Vagrants had scraped through the group stage as the weakest qualifier but had then seen off two Group Winners during the playoffs.
Pyongyang were unbeaten going into this match and were standing up well to their original Top Seed status. How would they do against the 3rd seed?
Pyongyang took an early lead 4-2, but the contest quickly tightened to 4-3, and then became ridiculously close with 4 boards having only 1 or 2 votes deciding them.
By the half-way stage the match was still as tight as a gnat's chuff, 4-3, with all 4 of The Missiles' boards vulnerable while The Vagrants had 2 boards solidly owned.
Finally though Pyongyang pulled out all the stops, winning 5-2, with only the Clemson captain Power Grid and mascot Wits & Wagers flying the flag for The Vagrants.

Ugly Americans 5-2 The Pawn Stars

Billed as the Clash of the Titans, both teams were unbeaten and were group winners. Ugly Americans were the top performer in GeekBall having defied their #19 seed to concede the least boards of any team in the competition with 4! They had steamrolled their opposition in nearly every match.
Pawn Stars were the masters of PR. Logo, geeklists and commentary - the full package come from the last non-US team in the competition. Last round they had seen off the brutal Killer Whale Tank so feared no-one.

Ugly Americans lead 4-3 early on, but in the closest board they lead by only a single vote! That board is: Formula D vs Memoir '44. In the last match Memoir had seen off Formula De, 67-48. An omen?
The match went back and forth with it being locked in a 3-3 stalemate at one stage. But Pawn Stars never actually took a lead.
Both managers were pulling out images at an incredible rate.
There was then an audible 'clunk' as the Ugly machine went into gear. Formula D took off and Blood Bowl began to overtake Hammer of the Scots.
A Pawn Stars geeklist answered with a cry of "Freedom"! But it was in vain.
Pawn Stars bows out and the Ugly Americans stomp relentlessly into the Final.

Benchwarmer Big Brother
This is the competition for games that didn't make the cut for their teams. 86 games entered this competition but these had been reduced to the Final 4 with the other 82 games having been subjected to some horrendous fates. These games will now playoff to determine the single surviving BBB game. Their can be only One.

In this round the losing games had all their essential game components replaced by 100 plastic zombies and were then parachuted into the back garden of the Mexican Big Brother house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Ugly Americans were the top performer in GeekBall having defied their #19 seed to concede the least boards of any team in the competition with 4!

And this points up the fallacy of seeding based on $ spent in the bidding...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
1000rpm wrote:
Ugly Americans were the top performer in GeekBall having defied their #19 seed to concede the least boards of any team in the competition with 4!

Apart from the fact that the other team in the final is the #1 seed..... and that only two of the teams seeded 25-48 made it into the last 16. And all the top seeds 1-8 made it into the last 16.

But seriously if anyone can think of a better (and still easy) way to seed teams that would be great.
I could employ Randy to do it, but not sure if his rigorous statistical method was any better than my rough seeding.
Or possibly seeding based on total (or average) rank of games in the team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Turner
United States
Fultondale
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeding based on average rank seems like a good method. I suspect it would not differ greatly from total spent though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
1000rpm wrote:

Apart from the fact that the other team in the final is the #1 seed..... and that only two of the teams seeded 25-48 made it into the last 16. And all the top seeds 1-8 made it into the last 16.

But seriously if anyone can think of a better (and still easy) way to seed teams that would be great.
I could employ Randy to do it, but not sure if his rigorous statistical method was any better than my rough seeding.
Or possibly seeding based on total (or average) rank of games in the team?

As long as some teams can opt for random lineup order and others for strict sequencing (either by $ spent or BGG rank), there is no reasonable way to seed the teams that will result in a strong prediction. And I don't think you'd want that, anyway. If you know the winners before you play, why bother?

I'd say that using $ spent is the best way. If that doesn't yield the "proper" results, it's not the fault of the handicapper--it's the fault of the dolts who didn't spend money properly. :)

I'd stick with money spent.

Now, if you allow only games with at least, say, 500 ratings and which have been out at least, say, 3 6 years, that would make the BGG rank more appropriate. You wouldn't have new (and non-) releases performing above suspected values (like Steam or the new Arabian Nights).

Anyway, it was fun and I look forward to whatever tweaks occur for the next one (if there is to be one).

Edit: I changed my example to six years because that might just whittle down the selection pool enough to make for a tight draft. That would go a long way to making the money spent more valuable. You wouldn't have teams spending only half their money and getting competitive teams. Of course, you'd need more rounds in the draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Murray of the Pawn Stars really needs a special Propaganda Award. His photoshops and comments have all been great! I hearby nominate him as my Information Minister in the New People's Republic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Quarter Final: Memoir '44 defeats Formula De, 67 to 48

Semi Final: Formula D defeats Memoir '44, 94 to 77

Shenanigans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Turner
United States
Fultondale
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or backlash against DOW for messing with a proven winner in a way which caused some people to believe they now had an out of print treasure when in fact they had a more limited version of the franchise with lower quality bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
and crikey!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just a minor point but at one stage Mem44 DID pass Formula D to put us in front. Not by far and not for long but still in front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
...with only the Clemson captain Power Grid and mascot Wits & Wagers flying the flag for The Vagrants.

Why did I forsake my baby?!! cry Only he could have saved my pathetic team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.