United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to replace the sand timer with an electronic one to get a nice countdown and alarm because often no-one's watching the timer closely. I timed the one that came in the game and it varies between 2:00 and 2:45, must be some whacky grains in there! Anyone know how long it's supposed to be? (We used 2:00 on the 3 piece sides, might not be long enough for the 4 pieces! )

Tx, Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
I like to replace the sand timer with an electronic one to get a nice countdown and alarm because often no-one's watching the timer closely. I timed the one that came in the game and it varies between 2:00 and 2:45, must be some whacky grains in there! Anyone know how long it's supposed to be? (We used 2:00 on the 3 piece sides, might not be long enough for the 4 pieces! )

Tx, Kevin

I think it's a 90 second timer.
Use what you think is necessary.
I had to replace the timer in a few games because they were too short and in others because they were too long.

We do fine with 90 second timer for Extreme, I replaced the one in vanilla ubongo with a 45 second timer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
IIRC, one in the German edition is nominally 3 minutes. However, my particular timer varies between 2:40 and 3:10, depending on which side is running.

If the Z-Man edition is made in China, I'd expect even dodgier timers than the German Kosmos edtion.

In my experience, 3 minutes is usually too long (for the hard side, it's definitely too long for the easy side); if you're going to get it, you get it in the first minute or so. Few people get it in the last minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To awaken a thread from the depths, my Z-Man edition has a 2:10 ish timer, which I've simply replaced by a simple 2 minute timer on a phone. Being able to see the numbers can be helpful, and we've had several finishes in the last 15 seconds.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game the other day. I am using my phone's timer as well. We have had some finishes down to the wire, but in the cases where everyone's done early, it's nice to not have to run out the clock. Plus the alarm on the clock means no one has to watch the timer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.