Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

This might be a really nickpicky newbie question, but I was curious about the amount of points that a city is actually worth.

Some friends have argued it's an issue of 'current ownership' and that upgrading to a city only gains you an additional 1 VP as the settlement is no longer there, and you lose the VP associated with it when the city takes it's place.

Others have argued it's an issue of the act of building. So upgrading a city would net you an additional 2 points. ....But then one could bring up the fact you did not build to get the first two VPs from your starting settlements.

We're probably looking way too into this, could you set us straight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It only gets you one extra point. In total the city is worth 2 points. But the advantage is the increase in production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mike
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I am certain that points are based on what's on the board. You start with two VP's for your first two settlements. When you replace a settlement with a city, you only have the points for the city, not the city plus the settlement it replaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the current ownership method that you mentioned. Having a settlement is worth 1 point, and having a city is worth 2. So yes, you only 'gain' one VP by going from settlement to city. But think of all the more resources you bring in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,

We've been playing with 2 VPs since I was in the minority with the 'ownership' argument and the idea that the advantage is extra resources/ability to make a new settlement.

Guess we can correct that now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.