Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I wanted so much to watch this video, but why does it start and stops every few seconds ?

Mind you, I hve noticed other video reviews that do the same and no one can tell me why this happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your network connection is just too slow to stream Youtube videos.

You can pause it and then wait for your browser to download the whole thing (watch the completion bar at the bottom), then it should play without hesitating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

OK. Thanks David. I will do that....pause and wait for download to finish.

Weird really beacuse generally I do not have trouble with UTube videos except some of the game review ones (as I mentioned before).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janna Nelson
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Tom! Great to see a review of this fun game. I had a blast playing this with you at Origins, even though I was first to die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darden
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything I've read about Shadow Hunters suggests that I wouldn't like it.. I guess I should probably give it a try anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janna Nelson
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, if you're playing with the right trash-talking group, it can be a bunch of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is very much a game dependent on your group. If you go in expecting deep strategic play and quiet contemplation of moves, you'll hate it. If you go in expecting a lot of yelling and laughing and die-rolling and trash-talking, you'll love it. So if your group doesn't like that kinda stuff, this won't be a big hit, and you likely won't enjoy it either.
This is a game we play before a main game, or several times in place of a main game if we don't want a huge amount of thought.

That, and you have those epic stories about how the entire shadow team except the werewolf died on turn 4 and the werewolf came back to win though shooting meatcleavers and cursed katanas out of his pistol-machinegun. Fun times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray! He's back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

Interesting that you prefer Shadow Hunters over Bang!. Many in a group I game in feel the same way. I think I see the reasons for this:
- The Hermit (green) cards are a neat mechanism for sleuthing info on other player's ID.
- Shadow Hunters is a bit shorter than Bang!
- Once the dying begins, the end of the game comes fast. Therefore dead player down time is short.

I still prefer Bang! for the following reasons:
- Bang! mechanics work better with it's theme. In particular, when I damage someone in Bang! I know that represents shooting them. If I damage someone in Shadow Hunters, and I not using a weapon card, I know that represents... um... damaging them.
- Some of the neutral characters (Alice, Bob) don't real care what character the other players are.
- Bang! separates a player's special ability from his team. This allows the special ability to be used throughout the game. With the exception of the Unknown, in Shadow Hunters, a player can't use his special ability until he reveals his identity. Once identities start to be revealed, the end of the game is near. Therefore most players only get to use there special ability for a small part of the game.

-Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Viddal
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Eustace
mbmbmbmbmb
ejclason wrote:

- Bang! separates a player's special ability from his team. This allows the special ability to be used throughout the game. With the exception of the Unknown, in Shadow Hunters, a player can't use his special ability until he reveals his identity. Once identities start to be revealed, the end of the game is near. Therefore most players only get to use there special ability for a small part of the game.

My co-workers and I play Shadow Hunters daily at lunch (bough it at GenCon '08 and we're still not sick of it almost a year later) and we've created a variant that helps with this situation. We play with homemade versions of the expansion characters, and after the initial character cards are dealt out we deal a second face-up character card to each player. The second card has no effect on affiliation, but you may use it's special ability.

And I love the "I don't care what your affiliation is" Neutrals as they add a wildcard element that makes the game less predictable than Bang. In Bang, I know the distribution of player agendas right from the get-go (including the "Neutral" Renegade), whereas in Shadow Hunters you're never sure which team the Neutrals will support with a few exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two thumbs up for the short video length and use of YouTube. Thanks, Tom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August T
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejclason wrote:

- Some of the neutral characters (Alice, Bob) don't real care what character the other players are.
-Eric

We don't play both Alice because she's boring to play (although easy to win). We also left out Bob because he felt a bit random and harder to play. Try looking at the expansion neutrals, we find them quite a bit more fun to play.

Timing when to reveal and use your ability is actually part of the game. Werewolf and Vampire usually reveal themselves earlier to exploit their abilities. I think it is a design decision to speed up the game which works quite well.

Our group considers Shadow Hunters as better game than Bang! mainly due to speed of play while giving the similar kind of fun. Bang! can drag on with more players and it's bad for people who got eliminated early. Shadow Hunters usually only takes 30 mins even with full 8 players (albeit experienced).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.