Popular Tags: [View All]
Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently have an unpunched edition of Ogre deluxe and I am very hesitant to use it. I printed out and made another set of cardstock counters which I use to actually play the game and this works for me. I was wondering, however, if there is something in print and available that is similar enough to Ogre in flavor and mechanics to use in its stead? I really want to take advantage of a professionally produced board and components rather than my so-so homemade pieces. Thanks in advance for any ideas and input.

marlinus64

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, Steve Jackson Games has announced that they will be re-publishing Ogre in the near future. I guess that it is not a guarantee though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently the plans for a SJG reprint of OGRE have been called off indefinitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchling wrote:
Apparently the plans for a SJG reprint of OGRE have been called off indefinitely.

Not true. We will get to this, we just have a lot of work standing between us and the version that Steve wants to publish. Steve's vision for the next edition of Ogre requires about three times as much chipboard as we put into Munchkin Quest; we're studying our options to determine the best way to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valenze
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am eagerly awaiting to purchase this and add it to my regular play list. Those pocket box counters are getting to be a bit small and fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marlinus64 wrote:
I currently have an unpunched edition of Ogre deluxe and I am very hesitant to use it. I printed out and made another set of cardstock counters which I use to actually play the game and this works for me. I was wondering, however, if there is something in print and available that is similar enough to Ogre in flavor and mechanics to use in its stead? I really want to take advantage of a professionally produced board and components rather than my so-so homemade pieces. Thanks in advance for any ideas and input.

marlinus64

If you enjoy playing with miniatures, then you can purchase pewter miniatures for Ogre from Warehouse 23 currently. Of course, if you don't like assembling and painting miniatures, then this will likely not help. Most of my group plays Ogre/GEV with minis instead of cardboard now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
marlinus64 wrote:
I currently have an unpunched edition of Ogre deluxe and I am very hesitant to use it.

Why not just punch and play the real copy? If you decide you don't like it, you will not have lowered the value that much, if that's what you're worried about (Ogre Deluxe is not worth that much).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
tool wrote:
marlinus64 wrote:
I currently have an unpunched edition of Ogre deluxe and I am very hesitant to use it.

Why not just punch and play the real copy? If you decide you don't like it, you will not have lowered the value that much, if that's what you're worried about (Ogre Deluxe is not worth that much).

Seconded. You aren't gonna retire on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
Hatchling wrote:

Not true. We will get to this, we just have a lot of work standing between us and the version that Steve wants to publish. Steve's vision for the next edition of Ogre requires about three times as much chipboard as we put into Munchkin Quest; we're studying our options to determine the best way to do this.

Oooh, cool. Ogre could really use a new deluxe euro-quality presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
Hatchling wrote:

Thanks Phil.

Do you have a sense of which calendar year the Ogre reprint might hit stores?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchling wrote:

It's too early to say. Once I can get the pricing to work out where we need it to (I'd like to avoid a $200 edition of Ogre, regardless of how "deluxe" it is) then I'll let Steve know and he'll dive back into the rules work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
Hatchling wrote:

It's too early to say. Once I can get the pricing to work out where we need it to (I'd like to avoid a $200 edition of Ogre, regardless of how "deluxe" it is) then I'll let Steve know and he'll dive back into the rules work.

The funny thing is you'd sell copies at $200, that's how much demand there is for this. But certainly not enough to cover the development cost.

This is a pipe dream I know but would be so cool to have real plastic units that slot into full color hex bases which include the stats. And just to make it even more insane, fully painted too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
PhilReed wrote:
Hatchling wrote:

It's too early to say. Once I can get the pricing to work out where we need it to (I'd like to avoid a $200 edition of Ogre,...

This is a pipe dream I know but would be so cool to have real plastic units that slot into full color hex bases which include the stats. And just to make it even more insane, fully painted too!

...and a pony!

Alex Yeager
SJG MIB
(Mayfair Games, too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
ScottE wrote:

...and a pony!

Alex Yeager
SJG MIB
(Mayfair Games, too)

As long as the pony has two main batteries, six secondary batteries and a bunch of treads...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a long time fan of Ogre/GEV I have high hopes for the reprint. The Deluxe Ogre of old did not have enought of a component quality paradigm shift that would have made me want to buy the game. Instead I invested my $$$ in Ogre Reinforcement Packs, Battlefield, and Shockwave Expansions. FFG has a viable quality standard for gamers that I hope would apply to the new OGRE/GEV version. Larger Hexes and Larger Counters with Updated High Quality Art are what I am hoping for. IMHO the variety of vehicles in this game would make plastic figures a pipe dream and add too much cost to the game itself. Give me high end counters instead!

I was happy to see some of the nice changes made to FRAG Gold Edition, though the box seemed to be oversized for the components. The addition of the multi-colored figures with accompanying stat cards was a really nice touch. The game board rocks.

Finally, in answer to the title of this Forum...there is only OGRE & GEV. Everything else is commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Hidalgo wrote:
I was happy to see some of the nice changes made to FRAG Gold Edition, though the box seemed to be oversized for the components.

Unfortunately, box size frequently has less to do with what the game requires than it does target price point, needs of the major distribution chains, and shelf presence. Small, compact packaging fits the requirements of a hardcore gamer and collector but slightly larger packaging with heft is what distribution buyers are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Picard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
El Hidalgo wrote:
I was happy to see some of the nice changes made to FRAG Gold Edition, though the box seemed to be oversized for the components.

Unfortunately, box size frequently has less to do with what the game requires than it does target price point, needs of the major distribution chains, and shelf presence. Small, compact packaging fits the requirements of a hardcore gamer and collector but slightly larger packaging with heft is what distribution buyers are looking for.

I've wondered if there was this sort of tension in the industry.

Thank you for a glimpse into this end of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original_CorPse wrote:
Thank you for a glimpse into this end of things.

My pleasure. I try to share as much information as I can since it helps all of us to understand some of the decisions that are made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I know Ogre isn't worth a fortune. I just hate to punch out a near pristine copy. I gave my working copy to a brother who moved out of state thinking a reprint was coming soon. Leaving some of older games I have acquired unpunched is just one of my quirks. I just find it cool having an unused copy. I have printed out and made a decent enough copy to play at home. So, for now, I am happy enough with that. I would love to see a nice, well made reprint in the stores someday soon though. Thanks for everyones input by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO the Kwanchai redesign is interesting but not as compelling as the Ogre/GEV focus of old. I feel that the interest in the redesign has as much to do with some refreshing artwork as it has to do with a different take on a OOP classic. While the artwork or vehicle work of Ogre could use some updating and detail, using the Kwanchai redesign would actually deter me from buying an Ogre/GEV reprint. Dont toss the baby with the bathwater here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Konyha
United States
Terrytown
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Steve's vision for the next edition of Ogre requires about three times as much chipboard as we put into Munchkin Quest; we're studying our options to determine the best way to do this.

Great. That means it will be a $95 game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonteCristo23 wrote:
Great. That means it will be a $95 game.

That's definitely not the plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stoker
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint OGRE!!! Reprint OGRE!!! OOOOGGGGRRRRREEEEEEEEEE!!!!! OOOOGGGGRRRRRRREEEEEE!

Seriously, it was the first game I ever bought, and I miss it. Bring it back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azog
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Profesor Mora wrote:
Hello Philip,

Can Steve Jackson Games consider the extraordinary Ogre redesign made by Kwanchai for the new edition?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/398921

Thank you.

That set was nice, but not extraordinary.

Way too cartoony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
castiglione
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, there's always Helltank, which was Metagaming's "answer" to OGRE after it lost its court case with SJG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.