john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday night, while the kids (5 and 7) were otherwise occupied, my wife and I got out Dominion for a quick game. We were about a third of the way in, and I was actually winning, when our son Byron (the 7-year-old) wandered into the living room, where we were playing. "What are you playing?" he asked, and we told him. He watched for another minute, or less, and said, "Can I play too?"

As I mentioned, Byron is 7 years old. He is Pokemon mad, collecting the cards, watching the shows, and occasionally playing the game, once in an organized pre-release tournament. We've tried a few "family" games, Sleeping Queens, Snorta!, and Pass the Bomb Junior, but only when we greatly relax the rules (mostly for the 5-year-old). So I was, frankly, amazed.

Long story short (too late for that though), we let him join in. He played mostly open-handed, he'd show us what he had and we'd advise him. He spent most of his treasure on the Spy, that was what he enjoyed best. Still, he managed to earn 13 victory points, while my wife and I tied on 36 (I had a Garden and 39 cards in my deck - sigh). On his way to bed, he asked if we could play again Thursday. "Sure," we said.

Thursday came, and he was having dinner at a friend's house. He visits there regularly, and we never see him back home until bedtime on those days. But 7:00 I see him coming in the front door, ready to play. We got going around 8:00, and he pretty much ran his whole game. Beat me, the brat (and my wife stomped us both).

Friday nights we usually order a pizza. The kids watch some Disney flick in the den, and my wife and I play a game or two. So, back to last night, after this second game, Byron tells us, "You know, I think I'll play a game with you two tomorrow night instead of watching a movie."

If you look at the box, the game is for ages 8+, so he's not heading to Princeton next year or anything. But it was pretty damned exciting seeing him get so interested in a game that's not for kids. No wonder we hardly ever played Candy Land when he was a toddler...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah! Congrats.

My kids are too little yet to join us in normal games, but I'm hopeful that they will be joining us soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on getting a family game going. That being said, he's probably gonna grow up fast, and before long he'll start grumbling about unbalanced cards like lots of seasoned players, so... I'd strongly recommend that you keep him from playing online or reading about strategy too much (sounds like that's not a problem yet). Dominion is at its best when it's just a small group of people making up their own strategies, and the family aspect is an even better bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunna wrote:
Congrats on getting a family game going. That being said, he's probably gonna grow up fast, and before long he'll start grumbling about unbalanced cards like lots of seasoned players, so... I'd strongly recommend that you keep him from playing online or reading about strategy too much (sounds like that's not a problem yet). Dominion is at its best when it's just a small group of people making up their own strategies, and the family aspect is an even better bonus.

Agreed. Dominion is best, I think, when you try to build the "most fun" hand you can. For instance, last night, my son got to play three Spy cards in a row. My wife had a Moat, but I just sat there discarding gold and Markets. He loved that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Herman
United States
Seville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Pizza - $35
Dominion - $35
Having the kids take interest and greatly increasing the budget for future games - Priceless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on getting your son involved in a great game and hobby. My 8-year old daughter watched me and her 2 older sisters play Dominion once and also asked us if she could join in the next game. We let her play and she got the hang of the game right away. She fell in love with the Witch card and cracks us all up when she plays one and says in a very diabolical voice for a little 8-year old girl:

"Come here my little pretties" devil

Of course we all get great pleasure of flipping over our Moats and saying "get back on your broomstick Witchie-poo". Yes I know it is silly, but we have a great time with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Same thing happened to me this weekend, only with my nephew. I was over at my parents' house on Saturday to help them babysit my brother's three kids (1,4, and 6) and had some downtime where I taught my dad how to play Dominion with just the expansion cards.

We were playing it when the kids arrived, and I taught the 6 1/2 year old how to play because he asked if he could join in. Much as you did with your son, I looked over and helped him work through some of his hands. His first game was very action-heavy without any +actions cards. Halfway through the game he said, "why didn't you tell me I can play only one special card a turn?!" The next game, he only bought one or two actions (bridge and torturer I think) and spent the rest on gold, silver, and provinces. He beat us both with a score around 40. Then he did it again. I was experimenting with scout and the hybrid VP cards, but it was still very impressive. Then I started beating him again, but usually by only one or two points.

Dominion, even the expansion cards, are accessible to a pretty wide audience, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll point to this story the next time someone complains the expansion cards are too complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.