Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Taylor
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside of the rave reviews and ranking on BGG, the contents of the box don't seem to justify the cost.

All this for a game that people seem to go out of their way to REPLACE almost all of the tokens for, make custom trays to hold everything, etc. and suddenly I'm looking at a crazy triple figure investment.

Has Lookout ever explained why this game costs so much? Not trying to troll, just trying to figure out what it is that I'm missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargamel wrote:
Outside of the rave reviews and ranking on BGG, the contents of the box don't seem to justify the cost.

All this for a game that people seem to go out of their way to REPLACE almost all of the tokens for, make custom trays to hold everything, etc. and suddenly I'm looking at a crazy triple figure investment.

Has Lookout ever explained why this game costs so much? Not trying to troll, just trying to figure out what it is that I'm missing?

There are hundreds of cards and a pile of wood. The bits certainly justify the cost alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargamel wrote:

Because they believe that $70 retail optimizes their profits.

"Too expensive for me" is not the same thing as "too expensive."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dickson
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$70 is MSRP. You can get it from Amazon with free shipping for $47 which is entirely reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargamel wrote:
Has Lookout ever explained why this game costs so much?

40 euros (Lookout's price) is about average for a large board game now, and Agricola has an above average amount of stuff in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargamel wrote:

Outside of the rave reviews over the flavor, and outstanding dining atmosphere, I couldn't see how the restaurant could justify the cost of that steak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Because people will pay it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a LOT of stuff in the box. And MOST people do NOT pimp out their copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh, have you checked out the cost of paper goods (of all types) and custom-cut wood recently? And, as others have noted, remember what the "S" in MSRP stands for: Suggested.

Shop around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
The pimping of Agricola is not done because the pieces you get are so bad, but because the game you get is so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Taylor
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
Gargamel wrote:

Outside of the rave reviews over the flavor, and outstanding dining atmosphere, I couldn't see how the restaurant could justify the cost of that steak.

I see, I guess this game is just too "high class" for me then. Who knew a farm game with painted wooden cubes was the Bentley of BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet your favorite game Dominion has an MSRP of $45. Does that seem justified to you? Agricola has 300 cards to Dominions 500 plus tons of wood bits and boards. While you might potentially have more plays with Dominion, lowering its cost per play, I still think that for the amount of gaming in Agricola it is well worth the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The chicks you'll get while playing this game make it worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
jdludlow wrote:
Gargamel wrote:

Because they believe that $70 retail optimizes their profits.

"Too expensive for me" is not the same thing as "too expensive."

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Westendorp%27s_Price_Sensit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
Yet your favorite game Dominion has an MSRP of $45. Does that seem justified to you? Agricola has 300 cards to Dominions 500 plus tons of wood bits and boards. While you might potentially have more plays with Dominion, lowering its cost per play, I still think that for the amount of gaming in Agricola it is well worth the price.

Add to that the MUCH higher quality of Agricola's card... plastic laminate is much sturdier than the paper cards of Dominion... I've shuffled my Agricola cards a LOT more than my Dominion cards, and they haven't shown any signs of wear yet.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cost is a pretty subjective thing, but it is perfectly logical. So, yeah, as others have said, it costs $70 because the producer felt that was the right price to both make a profit without discouraging buyers from having too high of a price tag.

I pre-ordered, and paid the full price, and I feel completely happy with the purchase because all the components are high quality, there's a ton of stuff, and I like the game.

If I was making the decision today, taking into account my current funds, I might think that price is too high and "not worth it," since there are other, cheaper, games that I could buy and enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no insert, and you can barely fit all of the components into the box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargamel wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:
Gargamel wrote:

I see, I guess this game is just too "high class" for me then. Who knew a farm game with painted wooden cubes was the Bentley of BGG.

It's not everyone's game. I've played once, and while it was a decent game, I wasn't overwhelmed. I think the game is reasonably priced, considering the amount of stuff you get, but I'm not rushing out to buy a copy, because the game didn't really "click" for me.

I would probably pick up a copy if I got a good deal (either trade or a really good discounted price), but I have enough other stuff that's serving my gaming needs right now, and other things I'm more interested in acquiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargamel wrote:
....I guess this game is just too "high class" for me then. Who knew a farm game with painted wooden cubes was the Bentley of BGG.

Don't diminish the game by your words. People aren't trying to diminish your opinion, but inform it.

Is Space Hulk merely an "alien game with plastic toys"? Union Pacific merely a "train game with plastic parts"? Roads and Boats a "donkey and barge game with wooden pieces"? Indeed, these are the Cadillacs, if not the Bentleys of Geekdom. And there are many more.

Who knew you would (apparently) think about a "farm game with wooden cubes" enough to ask a question about it in an public forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And on top of all the comments already given, most geeks could get a good workout benchpressing this game.

Think of the savings on health club fees!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargamel wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:
Gargamel wrote:

You're still spinning the dog around the same stake in the ground.

It's popularity has nothing to do with "painted wooden cubes" or it being "a farm game". You've already seen ample demonstration of the cost justification from a component perspective, yet that doesn't seem good enough for you.

So, what's left but gameplay value?

And yet there is even more demonstration of gameplay value (in everything on BGG) than there is for value based on quantity and quality of components.

So, which leg is it, exactly, that you're still standing on?

And I'm not even a big fan of the game - I personally think Le Havre is better. But the facts are that there is more than enough proof, on this website alone, to testify as to the value of the game from either the components perspective or the gameplay perspective. If you reviewed all of this before posting your question, then yes, I think you're trolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I payed 50 bucks (51.08, to be exact) to get it from www.boardgamerevolution.com. That is reasonable. Just for some "cute" animeeples, 20 extra bucks is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
And I'm not even a big fan of the game - I personally think Le Havre is better.

A lot of people do! I like Caylus, in fact, about three times better, but Agricola has some great elements of its own and plays well with 1-5 folks!

THATS a big plus for any game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelif wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

A lot of people do! I like Caylus, in fact, about three times better, but Agricola has some great elements of its own and plays well with 1-5 folks!

Without knocking Le Havre for gameplay, etc, if I was going to question the $70 MSRP of a game, it would be Le Havre, not Agricola. SO much less "stuff" in there, but of course there is the intangible "intellectual property" and creativity... we don't sell paintings by how much paint was used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Zelif wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Without knocking Le Havre for gameplay, etc, if I was going to question the $70 MSRP of a game, it would be Le Havre, not Agricola. SO much less "stuff" in there, but of course there is the intangible "intellectual property" and creativity... we don't sell paintings by how much paint was used.

Less wood, lots more cardboard..., but yeah, there's room to spare in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.