Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up KIY and played a quick (because I lost terribly) version of the game last night. I didn't use the herald, though, and I'm wondering what the purpose is of the yellow sign tokens. You either put one on the terror track space that's vacated and draw a Blight card, or you put one as a doom marker on the GOO. So why not just put another doom marker on the GOO? And the yellow sign on the terror track space means... what?? I'm just wondering if there's supposed to be some particular reason for those tokens being used or if they're just for show, so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's just a reminder that it was caused by the King in Yellow. Superfluous, admittedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bullseyetm wrote:
I think it's just a reminder that it was caused by the King in Yellow. Superfluous, admittedly.

Okay, that's what I thought, but I kept reading the rules and Herald sheet and thinking I must be missing something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It was just an excuse to push up the component count.

I am of the opinion that maybe Yellow Sign tokens are treated differently than Doom Tokens when placed on the GOO during the game. My thought was maybe if an Elder Sign was used, it could only pull off "real" doom tokens instead of yellow signs. But the effect on the game would be minimal and I really don't have a whole lot to back up that thought process.

So it is just a visual statement about how much the King In Yellow screwed you in the game. Much like the Activity markers, they are there for you to use but can be ignored if you don't want them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bullseyetm wrote:

It might make a minor difference in instances like when using an elder sign you remove a doom token from the GOO and that wouldn't apply to a blight token. There might be other cards that would affect blight tokens (or doom tokens) specifically.

edited for typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Grimstax wrote:
bullseyetm wrote:

It might make a minor difference in instances like when using an elder sign you remove a doom token from the GOO and that wouldn't apply to a blight token. There might be other cards that would affect blight tokens (or doom tokens) specifically.

edited for typo

I agree with this sentiment. But I think the only thing that would fall under this category is the Elder Signs and possible some Mythos or Encounter cards (that target Doom tokens, I don't know anything that targets the Yellow Sign tokens specifically).

But the point that is hard to refute is the Herald instructions:
Quote:
Doom Track:
Yellow sign tokens placed on the doom track are treated exactly like doom tokens.

So that is why I don't think there is much to support that theory.

The rules basically sum it up:
Quote:
Yellow Sign Tokens: These special tokens represent the
mind-shattering power of the King in Yellow.

So it does 2 things: 1) tell you how many Blight characters should be in the game (as a quick double check) and 2) tell many Blight characters you dodged by increasing the Doom token. Regardless, you can quickly see how much influence the Tattered King had on your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
It might make a minor difference in instances like when using an elder sign you remove a doom token from the GOO and that wouldn't apply to a blight token.

Hmm yeah, I guess that makes sense. So let's say you put a yellow sign token on space 8 of the GOO, and then played an elder sign, you'd remove the doom marker from #7 and would fill in 7 again with the next doom marker or yellow sign marker. But again, why not just use a doom marker and remove/add a doom marker? It still doesn't really make any difference, as far as I can tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Grimstax wrote:
It might make a minor difference in instances like when using an elder sign you remove a doom token from the GOO and that wouldn't apply to a blight token.

Hmm yeah, I guess that makes sense. So let's say you put a yellow sign token on space 8 of the GOO, and then played an elder sign, you'd remove the doom marker from #7 and would fill in 7 again with the next doom marker or yellow sign marker. But again, why not just use a doom marker and remove/add a doom marker? It still doesn't really make any difference, as far as I can tell.

It is a way to track what was added due to the King in Yellow. Maybe Kevin had something in mind or maybe there are cards we aren't thinking of. Could it have to do with the Act Cards? Does one of them say remove blight tokens to keep an Act from happening? Blight tokens may act as doom tokens, but perhaps doom tokens don't act as blight tokens for that purpose? Just trying to speculate...

Scratch that. You wouldn't remove blight tokens to stop the play. Wonder if there are any other cards that might do that. Or maybe even be based on how many blight tokens are in play...

Edited because I'm a doofus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I agree with this sentiment. But I think the only thing that would fall under this category is the Elder Signs and possible some Mythos or Encounter cards (that target Doom tokens, I don't know anything that targets the Yellow Sign tokens specifically).

It's a pretty technical point, but unless the blight cards have an elder sign on the back, you couldn't use them to fulfill the Elder sign item card because you couldn't remove it and turn it over to show its Elder Sign side to be used to seal a gate with an Elder Sign. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
Quote:

It's a pretty technical point, but unless the blight cards have an elder sign on the back, you couldn't use them to fulfill the Elder sign item card because you couldn't remove it and turn it over to show its Elder Sign side to be used to seal a gate with an Elder Sign. Right?
We've discussed that before. Personally I'm of the opinion that the whole "flip the doom token over" was just a cute thing they patted themselves on the back about designing, not an actual requirement to use the Elder Sign. The actual procedure is:

1) Play Elder Sign (lose 1 sanity and 1 stamina)
2) Remove doom token from GOO
3) Place elder sign token on sealed location

Since yellow sign tokens are to be treated exactly as doom tokens, they would fall under the requirements for #2. Then just grab an elder sign token from the box for #3.

Of course, that's only for the rare scenario that you have no "real" doom tokens on the doom track, just yellow sign tokens, which seems somewhat unlikely anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Of course, that's only for the rare scenario that you have no "real" doom tokens on the doom track, just yellow sign tokens, which seems somewhat unlikely anyway.

Good point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm of the opinion that yellow sign tokens are exactly like doom tokens. With the exception of the first time using the herald (where I used the tokens), I have never marked the terror track, and just add a doom token when the players choose not to draw a blight.

This does free up the yellow signs for more universal use: tracking rumors, tracking missions, personal stories, rounds of final combat that affect the AO's modifier, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.