Subject: 4 player game sounds broken rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
mbmbmbmbmb
So I picked up this game as something that can be played by my lunchtime group. Not only that, but I really enjoy Werewolf, and it sounds like Bang has a bit of that in it.

I read through the rulebook (knowing my lunch group is almost always four people), and having never played the game, I grew concerned. It seemed to me that a four player game eliminates any suspicion over the roles. The sheriff is going to fight the other three, that makes sense. The two outlaws should just ignore the renegade right? Kill the sheriff and go for the win. The renegade just needs to decide when to shoot at the outlaws, making him the target of the other three.

Sooo, there's really no excitement there. Sheriff, target everyone. Outlaws, target sheriff. Renegade, decide when to out yourself by shooting at someone other than the sheriff, then lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my favorite games but I never play it with less than five players. Even the recommended # of players from the game page is five or more. I would recommend Citadels with four.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The renegade -must- kill the sheriff *last*.

As a result the 4-player game has a little bit of subterfuge to it. The sheriff and renegade should team up against the outlaws. If an outlaw can convince the sheriff that he is the renegade, he can gain a measure of protection against being shot by the sheriff. The actual renegade will protest, but could be lying. The sheriff doesn't know who to trust.

Your mileage may vary.

=][=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the problems I have with this game no matter how many players there are. The outlaws have a single target and everyone else has multiple targets. As long as the outlaws aren't stupid enough to waste their time shooting at other people, and shoot every possible shot at the Sheriff they win every game (at least every single one I've played.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
This is one of the problems I have with this game no matter how many players there are. The outlaws have a single target and everyone else has multiple targets. As long as the outlaws aren't stupid enough to waste their time shooting at other people, and shoot every possible shot at the Sheriff they win every game (at least every single one I've played.)

I thought that too the first couple times I taught this game. The outlaws just came out shooting the sheriff and it became whoever had the better cards. Not as much tension as there could be.

But the game gets really interesting when everyone is claiming to be on the side of the sheriff. The sheriff doesn't know who to shoot and everyone just starts shooting everyone else.

It is then a game of the deputies trying to figure out who is who so they can eliminate the outlaws and the renegade and the outlaws trying to get enough cards to pick a fight with the sheriff and come out and win. Remember, the outlaws get rewarded with cards for killing another outlaw!

It is a kind of race for the deputies to find the outlaws, the outlaws to get the cards they need, and the renegade to stay quiet so that he doesn't get killed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree this game is better with more than 4 and usually only play it with 7 or 8 (with DC).

But having said that, the Renegade and the Sheriff need to understand the Renegade's changing role. In essence, it is a 2 on 2 team game until it can become a 1 on 1 final showdown. The Renegade must kill off the outlaws and so the Sheriff should allow him to do so as long as he can work towards taking out the Renegade along the way. But the Sheriff must balance how much help he needs taking on the Outlaws vs being left alone with the Renegade at the end.

So the Renegade is a quasi-deputy. He clearly knows his targets and it shouldn't be the Sheriff until the end. By him firing on the other two, the Sheriff should know who he is and choose to go after the other 2 as they are clearly outlaws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy BANG! Dodge City, you could replace one of the outlaws with another renegade.

I've been considering the following,
shuffle 2 outlaws, 2 renegades and 1 deputy, discard 2 cards and add sheriff, reshuffle and deal. No one will have a clue who they're up against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bullseyetm wrote:
Sooo, there's really no excitement there. Sheriff, target everyone. Outlaws, target sheriff. Renegade, decide when to out yourself by shooting at someone other than the sheriff, then lose.
I'm just wanna say that if the Sheriff shoots at the Renegade instead of the Outlaws, he's doing something wrong. The Renegade is on the Sheriff's side until he is left alone with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jammy Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Hmm actually, this was what I thought at the beginning, as in my first two games, the outlaws simply target the sheriff from the beginning and wins the game.

But then, after my buddies and I became more experienced, this doesn't happen anymore. Also, when the sheriff is shot, the Sheriff will get the other players to gang up on the person who shot him/her. In most games it will be that the person who shot the sheriff will be totally outnumbered, as the deputies and renegade will protect the Sheriff due to their own interest, and the other outlaws will also try to mask their role by listening to the Sheriff.

So in reality, the game will become players trying to shoot others (except Sheriff) and at the same time, trying to find out what role the other players play and at the same time, try to earn the Sheriff's trust.

I find Bang! a great game for light-gamers. It's very nicely themed and surprisingly contains a lot of player interactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not so much that Bang! is broken with only 4 players, it's just that Bang! is better with 5 players, and SO much better with 6-7 players. Including the Deputy causes the roles to become much more hidden and secretive, creating more of that Werewolf atmosphere you were looking for. Bang! can still be enjoyable with only 4 players, but I have found that there are other card games that play much better with 4 players such as Citadels or Coloretto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.