Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In considering how to move the Royalist right wing at Edgehill, I'm confused about something.

I understand that the Dragoons at 3104 will expend 2 movement points (MPs) to move to 3004 (1 for open ground plus 1 for the hedge hexside), and 1 to move from there to the open ground at 2904. From there, I realize it'd be another 2 MPs to move across the hedge to 2804. Moving from 2904 to the hedge-lined road hex at 2805, though, I would think costs 3 MPs (2 for the hedge-lined road plus 1 for the hedge hexside).

What I'm less clear about is the situation we see with the King's Life Guard horse in 3105. It's ambiguous whether the hexside between 3105 and 3005 is intended to be a hedge hexside. (It certainly has parts of the adjacent hedge hexsides illustrated there.) So, does the move from 3105 to 3005 cost the King's LG 2 MP or 3 MP? The rules specifically state that the road itself has no effect whatsoever on this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Randy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it has a hedge hexside.

Don't forget, your cavalry takes a formation hit for every hedge it crosses or hedge-lined road hex it enters. This means the second time it's Formation Broken.

Lesson: stay away from hedges altogether.

Tactic: I form up Rupert's wing in three waves to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
I would say it has a hedge hexside.

Don't forget, your cavalry takes a formation hit for every hedge it crosses or hedge-lined road hex it enters. This means the second time it's Formation Broken.

Lesson: stay away from hedges altogether.

Should we take away from this that the Royalists consented to fight on disadvantageous terrain that day? Or do they just shorten that right flank to stay within the hedges and pretend that's a limit (and count on their superior light infantry to handle Parliament's infantry in the hedges?

sdiberar wrote:

I'm a newbie here...can you explain what you mean by this so I can push the pieces around in my solo game?

Randy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipp wrote:
Should we take away from this that the Royalists consented to fight on disadvantageous terrain that day? Or do they just shorten that right flank to stay within the hedges and pretend that's a limit (and count on their superior light infantry to handle Parliament's infantry in the hedges?

Well, light infantry is generally not worth going after (no VP); the only reason you might in this scenario is under Charge orders you must move towards the nearest unengaged unit you can see -- fortunately, you can't see through hedges unless one side is right up against them. In any case, I would advance the Royalist light infantry to engage, and try to avoid the cavalry getting entangled there at all. Remember, you can move the minimum one hex until you're satisfied your attack is set up well.

Quote:
sdiberar wrote:

I'm a newbie here...can you explain what you mean by this so I can push the pieces around in my solo game?

If I recall correctly, Rupert has enough cavalry that you can go after the Parliament left with three units, and have another two waves of roughly equal size spaced out two or three hexes behind; i.e. the whole wing is in three lines. two lines is OK too, but with the constricted space I think three can work as well.

The idea is that after close combat, assuming some of your units will lose (melee is always chancy), your opponent's victorious units will be in vulnerable shape. You can then follow up with your second line and mop up the survivors or exploit a decisive first round. You want to do as much damage as possible in as few goes as possible, because once the wing has taken a beating, you'll probably have to go over to Rally orders to fix them up, and it can take some time to get back over to more aggressive orders (no continues while under Rally, and the modifiers to change are against you as well).

A couple other tips:

1) Read the interception rules very carefully -- their use is most important for cavalry action.

2) Cavalry momentum is a huge bonus, so forgoing normal pistol fire to maintain momentum is not uncommon. Also, expect interceptions to attempt to halt your momentum (and, if from far enough away, the interception itself will have momentum).

3) It's usually not worth it to gang up on cavalry with your cavalry -- pursuit, especially in TACW, will usually mean the victors leave the field as well, which will be no help to you in the long run (but at least you don't lose VP for them).

4) Read Ben Hull's tips in the playbooks of this and the other games in his series.

5) Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I've played MPBS maybe 10 times, and Edgehill at least 4 times, and I'm still figuring stuff out. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.