Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M King
United States
Wilder
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to time and money constraints, my son and I are going to make a day trip to GenCon. I've only been once before, and that was on a Saturday. This year, we could go either on Thursday or Saturday. For you folks with more GenCon experience, which day would you choose?

Some thoughts/questions I've had:

When I went on a Saturday, I didn't have much trouble finding a parking spot. But will the regular weekday downtown traffic on Thursday make finding parking a major hassle?

Going on Thursday, will we be more likely to score a copy of that just released, talk-of-the-show game? Will it be easier to get to demo a game due to smaller crowds?

Will there still be plenty of elves and Klingons and Star Wars stormtroopers wandering around? I've told my son about this and I think he would find that all pretty amazing. Do you see plenty of that on Thursday, too.

For me, the most amazing thing about GenCon is the vendors hall. Are all the vendors there on Thursday, or do some straggle in for the weekend?

My thanks for any and all feedback. We missed Origins, our usual convention, due to a family obligation, so I want to make the most out of GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Sapp
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will help where I can and explain where I can't?

1. Never had to park sorry.
2. Yes you will be more likely to get a copy of that just released, talk-of-the-show game. But, to do so you may have to waste a substantial part of your day waiting in line. Sure it is fun to have it right away, but at what cost? There will be plenty of crowds for demos either day.
3. There will be costumes, but not as many on Thursday.
4. Yes all of the vendors will be there on Thursday. This isn't like a regional con where some of the vendors will be guys with regular stores that they need to keep open during the week.

If the Exhibit Hall was my focus and I had to pick I would pick Friday (I know you didn't mention it as an option) The people that have to rush in and get something first were all there Thursday morning, and you don't have the crowds of people that only come for the weekend yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you go last year? The parking situation has changed a lot, because they removed the biggest parking lot downtown to build a new, expensive, unnecessary stadium paid for by taxpayers that we didn't need.

I would guess, however, that parking will probably be better on Saturday, because then the government parking deck is available. However, you'd better get there early!

Plus there is much more going on Saturday. If I could only pick one day, that is what I would pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also -- you might consider going on Sunday, which is a little more laid back, and much easier to buy a ticket at the door if you won't have one ahead of time. I believe that last year, on Sunday, they sold one-day family passes for $25. (May not have been $25 but it was still cheap.) I don't know if they are doing that this year or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Rodriguez
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yep, more words here.
badge
This is overtext. Man, what an awesome use of 100 geekgold! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm missing GenCon this year, but have gone for the last 5 years. Personally, I'd go Thursday, simply because there are a lot of people present on Saturday, to the point that it can be difficult to move through the exhibit hall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think GenCon is much more exciting on Thursday - the first official day of the con. Parking shouldn't be very different (the Circle Mall is usually a solid bet). The Exhibit hall will be less crowded and have more stuff (since it's the first day of sales). Definitely Thursday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Keith
United States
Monona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will definitely have a better chance to demo games on Thursday. Exhibit Hall traffic is much heavier on Saturday. You will probably have an easier time getting a badge on Thursday also as many of the attendees there on Thursday will have pre-registered for 4 day badges while Saturday will have many people like yourself who are there for one day. If you want to see costumes, then Saturday will be better as that is the day of the costume contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do yourself a huge favor if you have the time. Go down Wednesday night and get your tickets for the day you want to go. You can buy your ticket in minutes. I have seen much longer lines for tickets on each morning of the Con.

Parking isn't an issue if you get there before 9:30am. After that it rapidly deteriorates.

Thursday is your best bet to get promos and new swag. Some vendors generally have enough to last until mid day Saturday. Saturday your at risk of finding vendors out of promos.

Thursday is the day most regular Con'ers use to collect swag, so yea teh lines in the exhibit hall will be longer. But Saturday has more people so sometimes it balances out anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.