Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to use micro machine miniatures which are slightly bigger than the official Starline ones. I plan to order an 72x45 inch play mat.

What is the best hex size for use with these miniatures and still have a large enough area to play most of the scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1.25" at minimum. 1.5" would be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
1.25" at minimum. 1.5" would be better.

Micro machines are up to 3" long. Will they fit in close encounters? (or is it rare for two ships to end in the same hex? - i haven't tried the game yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
On the occassion when ships are close to each other you can either slide them a bit to fit them together or use counters for some ships. Large (3") hexes are nice but you either need a huge playing area or your map doesn't have enough room for ships to manuever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tisdel
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
The Man with the Pointy Hat
mbmbmbmbmb
I use 2" hexes as it allows 2 ships in one hex and 2 4x8 maps equal the same # of hexes as a 2x3 large hex map (more or less). It's a good compromise, but with MicroMachines, you may need to go to 3" hexes for the multiple ship stacking, but you would not get the same large hex map sizing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking about a double-sided mat with 1.5" hexes on one side and 2" hexes on the other.

I can use minis with the 2" hexes and small scenarios and the 1.5" hexes when using 1" counters (or minis if there are a few ships in play).

For large scenarios i will revert to using the small counters and provided cardboard boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.