Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rarely in my years of writing game reviews have I had a chance to so thoroughly reverse my position on, well, anything. Except for the time I called my boss an ugly crackwhore - I reversed my position on that fairly rapidly, despite being right the first time. But aside from that, I don't usually have a chance to just completely change my mind (and even when I do have the chance, I often choose not to take it, because it's more fun).

Tonight I get that chance, and I'm taking it. Bucephalus Games has pulled out a winner, and I'm really happy. Since I just reviewed Zombie Mosh, and it totally blows, I was really delighted to be able to review a good game. Furthermore, maybe we can put off buying flowers and booking a gravedigger. Bucephalus Games might have a few years left in 'em after all.

Kachina is a basic tile laying game, but with some tricks up its sleeve so that it's not basic at all. You build a sort of crossword puzzle, taking turns laying down numbered tiles. In order to dominate a row, and thus score for it, you have to play a tile that winds up being the highest value tile in that row. So far, this is pretty easy. Just put down numbered tiles, and the highest one wins.

But then you add in the Special Powers (I capitalized them on purpose, even though you don't usually capitalize those words, because I wanted to make them sound like I have a booming voice. I don't, by the way). All but two of the tiles have extra crazy stuff they do. Like the clown makes every tile next to it a zero (making the big 8-point chief a little useless), and the ogre blocks other tiles from sitting next to it, and the hummingbird dominates if there's another hummingbird at the other end. It might seem like it would take a few plays to understand the special powers (forget the booming voice, it wasn't working), but you'll have them down pat before the game is half over.

And then you'll wish you had known them better to start. When you're cruising into the endgame, desperately wishing you could pull a warrior to swipe the wolf you need to beat the sun, you'll start to see why this is anything but a basic game, and you'll wish you had held on to those eagles and hummingbirds. And when you drop an ogre to block the chief who could beat the sun, you'll cackle quietly to yourself at your brilliance in stopping your opponents from scoring that huge row.

Once you understand Kachina, you'll be able to play several moves ahead. You'll pass up a chance to score so that you can steal a hummingbird with a warrior, then you'll set up a scoring chain that you don't intend to use for three or four turns. You'll cover a wolf with an eagle so that later on, you can take the whole thing with a chief. You'll block, and exploit, and bluff, and do lots of other things that really good games are supposed to let you do.

By the end of the game, the table will be covered with tiles in what sort of resembles the New York Times crossword puzzle, if you filled all the boxes with scary-looking dolls. You don't have to add up your points, either - you track them as you go, meaning that there's no 'OK, let's all do math for ten minutes' delay at the end. You just look over and go, 'yep, I win.'

A game with mechanics this intricately simple is often classified as filler, but that label would absolutely not fit Kachina. For one thing, it's really smart, and filler is usually a little on the light side. For another thing, it will probably take most of an hour to play, and if you play with that guy who can never decide what to do, it will take a whole hell of a lot longer (you may want to put that guy on a timer, and then shoot him with a stapler when he takes too long). This is not a game that you play just to fill time. It's a deep, intelligent game, and if you're just slapping down tiles while you talk football, you're missing it.

I am so very pleased to have played and enjoyed Kachina. I was starting to regret asking Bucephalus Games for review copies in the first place, and dreading more packages from them. But if they can pull out games this fun on a regular basis, there's definitely hope for them. Put away the crash cart - this one is still breathing.

Summary

Pros:
Cool art by Andy Hopp (check out his site. The guy is off the rope, or chain, or whatever the kids say)
Easy rules you could teach to non-game-nerds
Lots of chances for quick moves and long-range plans

Cons:
Definitely a theme laid over an abstract, but the theme works, so what the hell
Over-analytical players will make you want to hurl yourself into traffic, unless you're thinking clearly, in which case you'll want to throw them into traffic instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blakeley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very impressed with how self-regulating this game is. When it was demoed at my FLGS a month or so ago, we started with a very spread out tableau (like Scrabble) and I was honestly unimpressed by the game at that point. Finish a line, win or don't, big whoop!

Then we went back to fill in the gaps and my brain started to bubble pleasantly. Then I played with three other players and it started to get interesting.

I have a copy on pre-order and I'm looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
After one and a half plays (my one complaint would be about the rulebook: I think it could be a bit clearer, and have used better examples -- we restarted the game after playing half a game, because of what we thought was an incorrect rule), I agree: this seems like a really interesting abstract tile-laying game. Our game(s) ended up looking more like a big clump than the usual crossword -- we were filling in the blanks and playing tiles close to each other right from the start. That made future plays tougher, and consequently player turns a bit slower, as the game moved on.

We played with four, and it seemed as if some had problems with the tile mix: some people almost never drew certain tiles (e.g, the warrior, or the chief). I wonder if this, like other abstracts, would be best with two (less chaos, less luck of the draw)? Maybe even better if each (of two) player had half the tiles, from which they created their own draw pile? What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anywhere I can even preorder this... is it out in stores, or did you pick it up (or just play it) at Origins? I'm getting very interested in this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try your local game store or you can try FRP games online

http://www.frpgames.com/new/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5560...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Tibbles
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Kachina is on a boat somewhere over the Pacific right now. It should be in stores before GenCon.

-Dan Tibbles
CEO
Bucephalus Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ph’nglui mglw’nfah Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
great review, thanks! It really ignited my interest in this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Graham
United States
Carmichael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great review. I don't know many details about the game, but I got the things I look for most in a review - how the game feels, what emotions it brings out, and what kinds of people would like it.

Now I'm interested enough to find out the details...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.