Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the FAQ says:

Quote:
Bad Hand
Q. When a player cannot play any of his Command Cards (because he does not have any units in the appropriate sections), does he discard a card and do not play at all at this turn?
A. You may play a section card for a section where you do not have any units. No units are ordered and thus you will not do anything but discarding a card, and draw another.

Does this apply only when the player has no playable card, or can it be done anytime during the game?

If you read the answer as an addition to the rules, it seems you can,
if you read it strictly in the context of the FAQ question, it seems restricted to when you have no other "playable" cards.

I tried it tonight in a solo game, allowing discards for sections I had no units, even know I had cards to move other sections, and it turned into a discard fest...so I'm thinking now you cannot do this?

thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad1642
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was playing the Dieppe (yellow beach) scenario solo, concentrating on the allies obviously, central section was emptied voluntarily then later lost my right flank, but crushed the enemy on the left flank and was set-up in in the town hexes.

In order to strike decisively in the center and complete the flanking move, I started discarding right and center section cards in order to maybe get a "game changing" card, even know I had one or two left flank section cards.
After many discards the card did'nt show up and had to face an assault from the ennemy. Allies lost, so it wasn't a good strategy, but I am curious if it still can be done.

edit for spelling and clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is one of those situations where more explanation leads to more confusion. The question from the FAQ began with an incorrect assumption (that Command cards would be unplayable if they were unable to order any units) and the answer is aimed at correcting that mistake. It's not saying that you may only play such a card if your whole hand is useless, only that a useless card can indeed be played. So to put it as simply as possible, you may always play any card in your hand on your turn, whether you can do anything useful with it or not.

Playing useless or weak cards to form a strong hand for an attack can be a good tactic. But you have to be careful about the timing and situation. Becoming too passive in the face of an agressive enemy is a recipe for disaster. As I believe you discovered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had an opponent choose to do a lot of this, I'd just keep sniping at them with my weaker cards without moving out of a defensive position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing since the beginning with players allowed to discard. It's happened a few times that a player starts discarding when they could play but the game punishes you for this. The fact that medals can be earned so quickly makes discarding a real risk.

So your looking for a good card, you discard, opponent plays 3 in the middle, you discard again, opponent plays all in the middle, your wiped out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When you play any card, you may order up to as many units as allowed by the card. You don't have to order all the units and you can simply choose not to order any of them. In effect, that is what the FAQ is clarifying: you are not just discarding, you play a card, order nothing, and then draw as normal to end your turn.

What people were wondering and what prompted that question was if you had no viable cards, could you discard and maybe draw 2 cards. Or discard your hand, and redraw all new cards. So there is no mulligan on hands, but just a sacrificing of a turn to draw a single new card.

But keep in mind that you are still "playing" the discarded card. So if you have no units in the Right Flank and you discard a Recon 1 on the right side, you are still allowed to draw 2 and keep 1 as the card instructs. These Recon 1's become particularly useful in these situation where you have limited yourself on options.

Back to your question, you may certainly do this even if you have units that you could order. The main reason being what you seemd to be doing as well. You have only 1 or 2 cards in a section but you what more before launching the assault. It may be because you want to follow up with a few more turns to mop up from your initial attacks or it may be that you are going against superior numbers and you want to hit hard this turn, but make sure you have enough orders to pull back before your opponent retaliates.

Whatever the reason, you may certainly skip your turn(s) to get fresh cards to better position yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad1642
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some very insightful comments everyone, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.