Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there!

Well to be sure, my thoughts on the game are: I really like Snow Tails! I think it has found a great way to make an original, card-based race game. My gaming group loves it!

The only mechanism that I think sometimes is missing is a drafting/slipstreaming idea. I'm not sure if the Lamot brothers ever considered adding this one up, or if it is even physically possible (I assume it could be, as even cyclists can benefit from it) but here's what I thought that could work for the game:

If your sled ends it's movement exactly on space behind another sled (not through crashing) then you're eligible for slipstreaming. In the next round, you'll gain an aditional 1 space movement. You can choose wheter or not to take this bonus. If however the sled you're benefitting from moves more than 5 spaces in its turn, then you do not get the slipstreaming bonus.

I haven't tested this yet, but I'd be glad to hear your opinions.
Meanwhile I'll test it and see how it goes.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Lamont
Scotland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Quote:
I'm not sure if the Lamot brothers ever considered adding this one up,

Oh we did We playtested a number of different mechanisms. Rest assured by the time the game is published no stone is left unturned !

This included a slipstreaming mechanisms which included drawing your route using pens and players receiving a bonus if they landed on another players route. A lot of the playtesters did not like using pens and it slowed the game down so it was dropped.

Thanks for the knd words and the enthusiasm. Have fun !
Cheers,

Gordon

Gordon Lamont
Fragor Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Goulart
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your response, Gordon!
It is really gratifying to know that the developers of the game read up what we're saying about the game and reply to us.

I still could not test this idea of slipstreaming that I wrote, and I do agree that using pens and writing routes down would slow down a game about speed - so if I was there I'd also tell you guys to drop it.
I'll test it and see what folks in the group think and reply in here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Goulart
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've had a few chances to test my idea of slipstreaming and I received mixed results -- which makes me lean towards thinking that not having it might not be a bad idea.

I think that in the way I described it the variant works well, but I'm not sure the game needs two different mechanics to provide players with bonus movement. Having one way to get a boost is usually already enough for people to plan ahead and the slipstreaming variant was left, by most players I tested, as a second thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.