Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Price
United States
Dover
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone,

Well I sort of fell back into BGG and apparently wargaming as well. I've been a gamer since I was a little weenie. Now that I m a big weenie (well that s what my ex wife calls me) I find myself out of work and forced to sell off my rather extensive wargame collection. Well it's more than a collection, I used to be a part time dealer (just enough to make my hobby (collection/addiction) pay for itself, in the days before ebay.

While I was investigating some game titles values I was transported here and found my login still worked. And I figured who better, but other addicts... uh... collectors/gamers, would be able to steer me to the best way to start selling off my old inventory. I say that because now that I'm looking at all of my games I m getting that damned itch to start gaming again. So my collections off limits but my old inventory is fair game.

So after all of that, what do I do to get the best price for my games, which is mostly old, out of print wargames? eBay, another auction site, gaming convention like WBC, my own site, others sites, BGG? Time is an important factor because I do need to get money coming in. A little at a time is fine but I can t wait till christmas. I m a History teacher and figure the summer is my time frame.

All recommendations are appreciated and sorry for my rambling.

Wayward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option would be to make one of those week-long Geeklists where you list your games and people on here bid on them. That way, in a week, you'll be packaging them up, and BGG is probably as good an audience as eBay, but you will spend 1/10th the 'listing' time by putting them up here.

If you need to liquidate, this is probably the best option. eBay has so many fees, and then you need to deal with feedback, and one buyer who kicks up a fuss makes the whole exercise not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WaywardWarlord wrote:
get the best price for my games

Quote:
Time is an important factor

these directly conflict so you have to make your mind up. I suspect you'd prefer to sell as much as possible quickly, which means pricing for sale. This is the only way you will sell most games anyway.

I have never sold on ebay but if you spend an hour putting together each page it is possible to do very well, although the fees are a consideration.

Geek is very quick, easy and cheap. Certain titles always seem to sell within a few hours, eg. the GMT's Hornet & Thunderbolt/Apache Leader. I'd put all your games on Geek to start with, as the more you have, the more you are likely to sell, especially if they are priced for sale. Of course it is possible to sell rare & valuable games on Geek for ebay prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you listed the games you have to sell - you could also get some "quick offers" - letting others know what you have to sell is always a plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can't walk, crawl. If you can't crawl..... well, you know the rest.
badge
Any game is the right game with the right crowd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having used ebay extensively in the past to sell item, I would recommend to anyone to stay away from it as the fees have climbed. Put your games up here in a geeklist auction. Post here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/376624 when your ready and you should be very happy with moving the games quickly for decent prices. The geek community usually is very generous to their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Research completed auctions on eBay and find out which titles are most valuable. List them on eBay at reasonable, priced-to-sell Buy It Now prices to get some stuff moving quickly.

List the good to so-so stuff here on the Geek for the minimum price you're willing to take for them. Promote them with a GeekList and a thread announcement. Charge exact shipping, offer to combine shipping, be willing to negotiate.

Bundle the low-value stuff into lots and sell them as-is on eBay, not worrying too much about lots of description and detailed photography. Selling the marginal stuff item by item is where you really get into a hassle/profit ratio that will drive you nuts.

That's how I'd go about it if I wanted a good compromise between fair value and quick turnover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, no eBay bashing here. If you want a quick sale, Geeklist or eBay, while still maintaining a decent return. If you can wait, then BGG marketplace. Quickest, but least return is to get quotes from OOP resellers like Noble Knight or Toad and Troll.

IMHO, depending on the title, the BGG marketplace can either be overfilled with other sellers or unvisited by buyers. Not sure why, but that is my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What part of, uh, what country are you in?

If I were you I'd try to find a way to sell them locally, or else packing and shipping each game separately could take a huge amount of time, and also create customer service issues.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
For a dedicated wargaming audience you could go to the Consimworld Marketplace forums and sell there. You can get a lot of information on asking prices for wargames, what's hot, etc. It's a good reliable place to buy and sell wargames. The folder is about half way down this page: http://talk.consimworld.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Price
United States
Dover
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fellow Gamers,

Thanks for all your responses. You've helped me out a lot. If you have anymore suggestions please don't hesitate to continue to post them.

Best wishes,

Wayward

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Price
United States
Dover
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

Sorry forgot to respond to your question. I'm live in the U.S., part, north east.

Thanks for your input,

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon: I've moved a good number of OOP wargames via ebay (for much the same reasons you have--making my hobby pay for itself) and it has always drawn the best prices. However, a *lot* of those games went to overseas buyers who were more willing to pay a premium for OOP games from US publishers. However, you're up against the ebay summer doldrums [which are far more significant when you factor in the long summer vacations common in much of the rest of the world]. Overseas shipping can be a bit of a hassle. Ebay fees are, as others have mentioned, getting a bit ridiculous, too. If you really can wait until Xmas, you'll get the best dollar for your games.

However, if quickly trumps top dollar, the suggestions regarding either an auction-style geeklist here or, better yet, the consimworld marketplace forum will give you the right audience for those games.

The other option is to look at the World Boardgaming Championship (the old AvalonCon) auction in the first week of August in Lancaster,PA. It's the right audience for your stuff and you can move a ton of stuff in one day.

[And, if you're located anywhere within a few hundred miles of the Baltimore/Washington DC area, feel free to click the envelope under my name and send me a Geekmail as I'd be interested in buying directly and picking up once you get a list together. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to cast apersions...but the fact that you don't really have a history here on the geek MAY affect the prices if you go with the big ticket items here.

I remember awhile back people complaining about ordering games that never appeared from some guy listing here.

Having an avatar, some rated or logged games...all that stuff will give you the benefits of "the community."

Again, not questioning you personally, but I know that's the stuff I look at before purchasing a game through the geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
jollypirate wrote:
Not to cast apersions...but the fact that you don't really have a history here on the geek MAY affect the prices if you go with the big ticket items here.

I remember awhile back people complaining about ordering games that never appeared from some guy listing here.

Having an avatar, some rated or logged games...all that stuff will give you the benefits of "the community."

Again, not questioning you personally, but I know that's the stuff I look at before purchasing a game through the geek.

As a collector who HAS dealt in good faith with two very similar users (no history on this site, selling off collections), I was very pleased to have done business with both of them. I acquired some great (and valuable) games and paid a fair price which left the seller happy and myself with games at reasonably good prices.

If you haven't moved your collection yet, I'd be happy to discuss possibly doing business with you. I am always looking out for older wargames to add to my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Have you considered Craigslist? You may be able to get a fair price and move the items quickly. I know I check my local listings every day or so looking for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Price
United States
Dover
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy again Guys,

Justin: I once sold games at auction at a huge game convention (Milton Bradleys: Broadsides; Skirmish, Dogfight; and BattleCry, all in mint condition) and made less than $40 total from their sales. Left a real bad taste in my mouth after that for convention auctions.

Frank: I wasn t offended by your comment. Your observation was noted and appreciated. I am sure there are those that will be wary, and rightfully so, of buying games from a new face. In fact, I have to admit I am wary of selling on eBay pretty much for the same reason. Atleast here it is a community and in that I find comfort.

Tom: I hadn t considered Craigslist but I may give it a shot and see what happens.

To the rest of you, thanks for all of the great suggestions. I have decided to do all of the above. LOL, sounds like a cop out... and of course it is.

I figure I ll post games that I have multiple copies of on BGG, ConsimWorld, and eBay in similar conditions to see which commands the best prices. I would agree eBay would normally be the best choice based on your responses but given my bad timing I m going to stick my toe in all three waters. I may even drop a couple on Craigslist if I m feeling really ambitious.

In addition, I figure I ll save my most choice items like: "To the Greenfields Beyond"(SPI), "Operation Typhoon"(SPI), and "Island War" (SPI) (which are still shrink wrapped) and sell them in September and October on eBay. And yes I actually have multiple copies of those but not in shrink wrap and in varying grades of condition.

Going thru all of these boxes will be a chore but I have come across several games so far in the first few that are all shrink wrapped and I have 3 or more copies of.

I figure my first posting on all 3 sites starting tonight will include: WWII: Pacific Theater of Operations (SPI/TSR); Moscow: 1941 (SPI/TSR); The Legend Begins, 3rd Ed. (Terran); (all are still shrink wrapped) and probably some magazine games.

Now I just have to open a PayPal account, figure out what to do with shipping and away I go. UGH. I think this may take a while.

Best wishes to all and thanks again,

Jon

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Price
United States
Dover
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, btw, I do have non wargames too. Such as:

A Parker Brothers 1st edition first printing of Monopoly (VG condition); Touring; etc... Wish I could be more specific but I haven't opened those boxes yet and going by memory.

I ll post them when I find them. Whew.

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.